What 5.7 hemi fits my 06 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck threw a rod a few days ago and I'm looking for a replacement 5.7. But the treads about the ones that fit are no help. They are in almost every now and I thought they would be the same block at least. But dosen't look like it. Has anyone replaced theirs and what fits? Thank you

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you want to keep the MDS system, 2006-2008 5.7 HEMI's will work for your application.

The 2003-2008 5.7's are all the same except for the 4 x MDS solenoids and the MDS lifters.

If you cannot find a 2006-2008 short block, long block or a complete pull-out, go shopping for a 2003-2005 without MDS and swap your solenoids and lifters over and Bam, you have MDS.

If you want to eliminate the MDS system on a 2006-2008 5.7, you will need the 4 x solenoid plugs for the block and some lifters.

If you want to keep it bone stock then you will need a 2006-2008 5.7

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I'm a 20 year Chrysler mechanic and I build HEMI's for breakfast. Haha

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That helps a lot! Thank you. Would a 5.7 out of anything of the same year fit. Besides the oil pan?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, essentially the long block is the same. If you were able to snag one from a 2005-2008 car the only things that would need to be changed over would be the intake manifold, oil pan and exhaust manifolds.

There might be a few other small, minor details but nothing that cannot be handled with some gaskets from your local parts supplier.

The reason for the intake manifold swap is because the cars use a different manifold with the throttle body in the front instead of the rear.

Car and truck oil pans are different as well as the exhaust manifolds.

Just for reference, all of these can be used for your application...

Any 2003-2008 5.7 HEMI

2005-2008 LX 5.7 have MDS and will work with a few things swapped over.

2006-2008 Truck 5.7's will be a direct swap.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You say that ALOT lol....

That is my way of saying "hello" to a brand new member who posted for the 1st time. If it was just another guy positing about his wheels I might not say anything at all about myself. I am extremely self-confident in my ability too. I could say dont hesitate to ask someone else about your problems. Or just not post at all but I like this forum even though the traffic level isnt always booming. I am just a super nice guy too!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am extremely self-confident in my ability too.

Evidently lol

I could say dont hesitate to ask someone else about your problems. Or just not post at all but I like this forum even though the traffic level isnt always booming.

Traffic level is better here than most Ram forums. I've left a few that I had belonged to since 2005 just because they ended up dying (mainly because of Facebook).

I am just a super nice guy too!

LOL I was just trying to figure out if you are super confident and extremely friendly or one of those people who constantly feels the need to talk themselves up. Question answered. Welcome aboard btw.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No worries man. I took no offense. The last time I was really heavy into the forums was when I was running a highly modified 4.7 Dakota RC. I decided to check out this forum and it seemed pretty cool so I figured I would hang around and see if I could help some people.

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as I'm looking around I've found a lot in jeeps and Durangos. But when I was looking at replacing the lifters and solenoids it looks like I have to take the heads off is that right?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So as I'm looking around I've found a lot in jeeps and Durangos. But when I was looking at replacing the lifters and solenoids it looks like I have to take the heads off is that right?

To pull/replace lifters, correct. Heads need to come off. If you pull the heads, it's a good idea to replace the bolts as well as these are TTY (torque to yield) fasteners. The Jeep and Durango engines will have MDS if you're looking to keep it. If you don't want it, then you'll need to pull the heads to swap lifters (you can pull the solenoids and plug the holes anytime).

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I have so many questions but I'm still new to the hemi world if I find a 03-05 without mds and I dont want to keep the mds what would I need to do to delete it from my truck

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you don't want to keep it and you want to use an 03-05 engine you'll need a tuner (or a custom tune) to turn it off in the PCM. You won't need to do anything but figure out what to do with the MDS harness that goes to the solenoids that you won't have anymore. I seem to remember someone who did it saying you have to leave the harness plugged in (at the PCM end) so you don't get a MIL.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also keep in mind if you find an 03 engine that it will not have EGR (like an 04-08 1500 5.7 would).

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I found a parts truck that has almost the same amount of miles same year both 4x4 with a bad trans. Would it be easier to swap transmissions or the engine

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Which truck is in overall better condition? Is the interior from one truck better than the other? Do they both have the same rear gears and diffs (open vs. LSD)? Same options on both?

The trans swap is pretty simple but we dont know the exact condition of the trans or how it was treated throughout its lifespan. If you like your truck and its colors and options and the body is in good shape then I would swap the motor and then use the rest of the donor truck for parts to freshen up your current ride.

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20190331_195455.jpg Screenshot_20190615-113006_Facebook.jpg so the red truck is the parts truck it just hit 160k miles and mine just hit 150 so they are close on miles. My threw a rod and his has a bad trans. Interior is about the same trim level and gears are the same but his has a 4in lift and new brakes. That's why I was wondering about the trans swap

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Honestly for the work involved (having done both) the trans would be the easier/quicker swap. If this were me I'd choose the one I like better (which also includes feeling better about, condition, maint history, etc) and do the work to that one. Once you have a running usable truck again, then you can either use/keep the other one for spare parts or if ambitious enough, fix it up and sell it.

OP
OP
Derick Nelson

Derick Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So If I went the route without mds what elis a good tuner to delete it and open the truck up just a bit. And would it just have a check engine light on or would it actually affect the performance without the tuner if I drove without the tuner for a while

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You mean if you put an engine in that doesn't have MDS? Or trying to delete it?