What Alarms Do You All Have-And Recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
On all Crysler vehicles that do not have any type of alarm, or a factory remote they come with a pre-programmed key for the vehicle. With 90% of the Dodge trucks the key is grey. It has a chip inside it that the main computer in the truck senses to allow the truck to be driven. If you use a key that is not programed the truck will start, but if you try to move it the engine dies. And if you do this 3 times you will have to have your truck taken to a dealership and reprogrammed too new keys. Found this out when my dealer told me about it. My neighbor tried it. $500 later he had his truck back and working right.

I wonder if I can get this set up for my 2002 or is this only for new Rams?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I wonder if I can get this set up for my 2002 or is this only for new Rams?

I think you would have to redo the whole eletrical system in your truck to one that uses the sentry system. Or at least the engine management system. Not sure just how integrated it is to tell the truth.
If I were to try this I would find a wrecked 06 or newer truck and get all the wiring and control modules out of it, then install it in mine. :shrug:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Thinking of getting this-
Ravelco Anti Theft Device

Actually that is an old school style of anti-theft device. They have ben around for a LONG time. I actually had a similar setup in my Nissan Hardbody. Without the provided key it is pretty much bulletproof. Only thing I would not connect up though is any wire that disables the constant power to the radio and computers. I did loo at their site and as ling as the only things that it disables are the starter, fuel pump, motor control pcm, and other non extremely important functions then it should be fine.

OP
OP
johnnysart

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Actually that is an old school style of anti-theft device. They have ben around for a LONG time. I actually had a similar setup in my Nissan Hardbody. Without the provided key it is pretty much bulletproof. Only thing I would not connect up though is any wire that disables the constant power to the radio and computers. I did loo at their site and as ling as the only things that it disables are the starter, fuel pump, motor control pcm, and other non extremely important functions then it should be fine.

Good to know. I wonder if Best Buy could install it?

stonew508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
Here's another vote for Viper! it just works.

Bill Palya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 with etorque
Thinking of getting this-
Ravelco Anti Theft Device
Have had a Ravelco for 2 years, no issues so far i.e., no one has tried to steal the truck, I believe only authorized Ravelco installers can do the job which takes about 90 minutes, 450 bucks to do the jobon my 5th Gen. The installer I used (Midatlantic Ravelco) actually drove to my house (250 miles from his shop) and installed in my drive way, can’t get much better service than that. The only thing that could go wrong is if you forget to pull the plug when you leave the vehicle, you are of course unprotected if you do that, pulling the plug breaks the circuit and good luck to a would be thief, highly recommend