What All Season Tire for 2018 Big Horn? (Yes, Another Tire Thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I’ve just spent over an hour trawling through the numerous tire threads here. I didn’t find a recent thread that addresses my needs so, yes, I’m starting yet another tire thread.

I drive 98% on paved roads, occasionally will go on dirt and/or gravel roads in rural settings to get to boat launches on lakes. I’m in Minnesota so I do see some deep snow and some icy conditions but it’s almost always in an urban setting, meaning it’s gonna be plowed within a day or two. Even with the stock Goodyear Wranglers that came on the truck I’ve never gotten stuck in snow, though I’m certain there must be better performing tires for snow/ice conditions.

I’m not looking for an all-terrain tire since I don’t go off road. I want a comfortable and quiet ride at freeway speeds. And even if I were after an all-terrain tire the most highly recommended AT tires on this forum--Falken Wildspeak, Cooper Discoverer AT3—do not come in the stock tire size of my truck, which are P275/60R20.

My priorities are:
Ride comfort
Ride quietness
Good traction in wet/snow/ice conditions
Decent treadwear, but doesn’t need to be excellent

When I do internet searches using these parameters the Michelin LTX Defenders show up a lot. I hesitate on the Defenders because I’m probably not going to have my Big Horn for more than 2-3 years, and I only drive about 7,000 miles a year. (Was less during Covid.) So I’m not too excited to lay out almost $300 per tire on something I’m only going to own for 25% of its rated life.

Maybe I’m overthinking this because I’m going to sell the truck in 3 years or so, but the Goodyears that came on the truck are needing replacement and they have only 29,000 miles on them. I’ll likely put on 20K-25K miles in the next 3 years so I need tires that will have good tread on them when I sell.

So what are your recommendations?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This thread?

or this one?

Your thread title mentions an AT tire. I just bought a set of Wildpeaks this summer in the very size you're looking for. Just over $1100 for 4, out the door. (York PA market)
I really like the Wildpeak on my "pavement pounder" but I've only had them a short time. See my posts in the quoted threads for details.

This thread too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
This thread?

or this one?

Your thread title mentions an AT tire. I just bought a set of Wildpeaks this summer in the very size you're looking for. Just over $1100 for 4, out the door. (York PA market)
I really like the Wildpeak on my "pavement pounder" but I've only had them a short time. See my posts in the quoted threads for details.

This thread too?

Yep, all three of those threads are about All-Terrain tires. I'm not looking for all-terrain tires. I want all season tires.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Michelin Defender LTX M/S!!!

If you're looking for a fantastic tire that takes minimal weight to balance (on a road force balancer), has an incredible warranty, and has exceedingly great highway manners and grip in wet road conditions, then this is a tire to consider.

I recently replaced my summer tires with these new MIchelin's and had BFG KO2's. Although the BFG's have that nice aggressive look, I gained back almost 2mpg switching to the Michelin's.

I run LT295/65R20's and love the feel on the highway (quiet, soft, and provides excellent road feedback). Superior wet road handling characteristics vs. the BFG's, and took near nothing to balance them out on a road force balancer, whereas the BFG's took between 7oz and 10oz per tire to balance out, and still had road vibrations.

If you're primarily on the roads, then look to this tire vs. an AT tire.
Yes, it's still a 10-ply Load Range E tire (and that's not a bad thing at all), but it's designed for what you are indicating is your primary road surface travelled.

This is all just my opinion though, and you asked, too, what would still be a good tread life left in 2 to 3 years... can't go wrong with Michelin's ;)

edit - I run 40psi cold in the front and rear tires and have perfect wear across the face of all four tires.

I travel a lot on the highway for my career, and needed a great tire that lasts and runs with dependability and predictable road feel.

further edit - IMHO - don't look at what you're spending overall, if I can say that. Look at what you gain in terms of safety and ride quality.

Your tires have a contact patch the size of your hand on the road, and in my opinion, isn't your safety worth having a great tire on that affords you proper traction and road handling that helps to ensure you have the best opportunity to react and drive in the road conditions you travel in.

For $1,200 USD plus balance and install is a cheap price to pay for quality IMHO. Heck, each tire here in Canada in my size purchased was over $600 plus road force balancing and installation, plus tax, and that cost still pales in comparison to what the cargo my truck carries (me and my daughter) is worth ;)

Again, my $0.02.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Michelin Defender LTX M/S!!!

If you're looking for a fantastic tire that takes minimal weight to balance (on a road force balancer), has an incredible warranty, and has exceedingly great highway manners and grip in wet road conditions, then this is a tire to consider. I recently replaced my summer tires with these new MIchelin's and had BFG KO2's. Although the BFG's have that nice aggressive look, I gained back almost 2mpg switching to the Michelin's.

You make a compelling argument. That data regarding mpg is interesting. I'm not ruling the Michelin's out, they're just a bit rich for my purposes.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just put a set of Continental TerrainContact H/T's on mine. These are rated as "all season" tires. I only have a few hundred miles on them thus far but I am liking them.

They are very smooth and quiet on the road. I haven't had them on anything other than dry pavement though.

Supposed to be 70K tires.

I researched the snot out of all season 20" tires on tire rack and settled on the Continentals. They seem to like them there.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I just put a set of Continental TerrainContact H/T's on mine. These are rated as "all season" tires. I only have a few hundred miles on them thus far but I am liking them.

They are very smooth and quiet on the road. I haven't had them on anything other than dry pavement though.

Supposed to be 70K tires.

I researched the snot out of all season 20" tires on tire rack and settled on the Continentals. They seem to like them there.

I did see the Continental TerrainContact HT's on tirerack.com, and yes, they tested well. Good recommendation. Thanks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your tire demands are not that great. Just about any reasonable pickup tire will work for your needs, incl those you listed. If you live near a Fleet Farm, ..and b/c you're from MN, keep your eye out for a "Buy-3, Get one Free" deal, like they're running I think right now. That's a great deal on tires, esp Coopers will work perfect. But there are also deals on G/Y. Bear in mind the G/Y's that come on new trucks aren't the same as off-the-shelf Goodyear's (usually).

Otherwise, a set of THESE would do you fine and save you some $$. Why spend more? They're kind of a Walmart exclusive. Nobody can touch Walmart on the price, esp when you factor in they mount them for free (balancing & stems extra). And I think even disposal is free too if you buy them from Walmart (call to verify). And the quality is great. These type have been around forever. A few guys on this site are running them too.

I put a set on my Ram last year and they run out great, IMO. I love them. I'm not just saying that cause I bought them ...I've bought & owned a lot of different tires in my day. They say "AT", but that must refer to the tread ....they're a 115-rated tire which is not real high (not real low either), but just right. Not a 10-ply rated tire. So they run smooth, and ride smooth, like you're looking for. Low noise. Deep tread but plenty of sipes as you can see below (therefore good in snow). At this price you'd be looking at ~$650 plus taxes for a set (depending on your size and sale price). Where else are you going to find a quality SET of *truck tires* for that price?! When they do come on sale, jump on them before they run out ...that's what I've seen. If you do heavy hauling or towing, you should get a set with a higher load range ...like 119 or 123. But for a pavement pounder like mine and occasional hauling, they've been great. Check your truck's door sticker and/or manual for tire capacity rating you need.

Here they are on my tk (you can go blackwall-out too). Best of luck :waytogo:
New Tires Cooper Discoverer_Installed.jpg

Truck_New_Tires_9_2022.jpg

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yep, all three of those threads are about All-Terrain tires. I'm not looking for all-terrain tires. I want all season tires.

You are correct, I misread the title. You still might find something useful in those threads, maybe not.
My Wildpeaks are very good on the pavement, and I have never been off-road with my 2014, not in 105,000 miles.

Additionally, as a last attempt at posting something useful,
although I have never had Michelin or Continental tires on
any truck they were my go-to choice for car tires.
Nothing I ever bought could touch them, and IMHO their
mileage ratings, or UTOQ, is reliable.

My wife has the Continental Extreme Contact on her Eclipse.
She would never even attempt to drive her car in winter weather
until she experienced those tires.

EDIT: I'm 66. I'm retired now, but when working I averaged
anywhere from 25k miles to 40k miles per year since I was 17. I've gone through some tires, and I've had my share of disappointment.
Good luck with your search!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, any of the tires you and other guys listed should work for winter driving on mostly plowed roads. If you're trying to avoid heavier, stiff tire, just look at the tire weight (actual tire weight), some tires are real heavy ...which often will be a stiffer tire. Weight pretty much tells the story.

Let us know what you get :waytogo:

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Appreciate everyone's input. I've got some research to do. I likely will not be buying for a week or two or else waiting for sales. Thanks.
OP, any of the tires you and other guys listed should work for winter driving on mostly plowed roads. If you're trying to avoid heavier, stiff tire, just look at the tire weight (actual tire weight), some tires are real heavy ...which often will be a stiffer tire. Weight pretty much tells the story.

Let us know what you get :waytogo:

That's good info on looking at the weight of the tire and it's relationship to the tire's stiffness. To CanuckRam1313's point on mpg--is there any attribute to look for that might indicate a particular tire will give better mpg?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah ...a heavier stiffer tire will generally reduce economy. Esp if the tread is aggressive, like a mud tire ..which youre probably not interested in anyway. Some tires are in the low 40# weight, while others can be 55+. But if a guy needs the extra capacity of a heavier tire, then it's worth it. For normal pavement princess trucks a 115 or 116 load rated tire should work fine. But check your truck's specs...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This must be the point in the fall where guys get the winter tire-buying bug ...ha ha :favorites13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Otherwise, a set of THESE would do you fine and save you some $$. Why spend more? They're kind of a Walmart exclusive. Nobody can touch Walmart on the price, esp when you factor in they mount them for free (balancing & stems extra). And I think even disposal is free too if you buy them from Walmart (call to verify). And the quality is great. These type have been around forever. A few guys on this site are running them too.

I put a set on my Ram last year and they run out great, IMO. I love them. I'm not just saying that cause I bought them ...I've bought & owned a lot of different tires in my day. They say "AT", but that must refer to the tread ....they're a 115-rated tire which is not real high (not real low either), but just right. Not a 10-ply rated tire. So they run smooth, and ride smooth, like you're looking for. Low noise. Deep tread but plenty of sipes as you can see below (therefore good in snow). At this price you'd be looking at ~$650 plus taxes for a set (depending on your size and sale price). Where else are you going to find a quality SET of *truck tires* for that price?! When they do come on sale, jump on them before they run out ...that's what I've seen. If you do heavy hauling or towing, you should get a set with a higher load range ...like 119 or 123. But for a pavement pounder like mine and occasional hauling, they've been great. Check your truck's door sticker and/or manual for tire capacity rating you need.

Here they are on my tk (you can go blackwall-out too). Best of luck :waytogo:

What's the difference between the Cooper AT (from Walmart) and the Cooper AT3 (available at a lot of places)? Why does Walmart have this exclusivity?
Also, I look at these aggressive tread patterns and tread depth and I can't help thinking they would be noisy on the freeway going 70-75 mph. Aren't they noisy?

Walmart is currently out-of-stock on this tire in my size. When it's in stock it's $195. So if there were a buy 3, get 1 free, yes, I'd be looking at $585 plus whatever they charge for balancing and mounting.

OTOH, the Cooper AT3's are $251 each at Walmart. So what's the difference?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Appreciate everyone's input. I've got some research to do. I likely will not be buying for a week or two or else waiting for sales. Thanks.

That's good info on looking at the weight of the tire and it's relationship to the tire's stiffness. To CanuckRam1313's point on mpg--is there any attribute to look for that might indicate a particular tire will give better mpg?
The 285 BFG's were about 5lb heavier per tire than my now larger 295 Michelin's.

Add in the the BFG's took on average of 7oz to 10oz per tire compared to the now larger Michelin's ranging from 0.75oz to 2.25oz per tire, lots of weight and overall rotational mass shed going to the Michelin's.

Then factor an AT tire vs. a highway tire, albeit both are Load Range E 10-ply tires; lots to consider. But the Michelin ride is smooth and quiet. I've put almost 20,000Km's on my Michelin's since purchase at the beginning of this summer and have very little wear (still have the little nibs on the treads). With 40psi cold per tire it's a great ride, for me anyways.

I prefer the LT10-ply as it affords more road debris protection, and I like the 295 because it gives plenty of clearance and a nice stance, too. The bonus was saving more fuel going to the Michelin's as well.

Good luck on your quest for the best tire to suit your needs.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You mean the AT3's? Or the AT3-XLT's?

I actually have both of these Coopers: The 10- AT3's in THIS link on a RCSB OBS GMC that has the off-road pkg. And the regular Cooper AT's (115 load range) on the Ram. The tread and sidewall look almost the same, but they are different construction.

The AT3's are 10-ply "rated" 126/123 load range. Basically it's a heavier duty tire that can carry a lot more weight, say, if you haul a lot, or tow with a heavy tongue weight. The tire itself weighs a lot more than the regular AT, and has a stiffer sidewall and heavier bead. Probably more plies too. You can tell the weight difference immediately just picking each up. If you're hauling or towing, work construction, or want a tougher off-road tire, you'd want the higher capacity AT3 tire. I put them on my SB OBS GMC 4x4 b/c it has the off road pkg and wanted a beefier looking tire. When I bought them there was a smacking good deal (better than now) that was hard to pass up. They also give you a little snappier handling than softer sidewall retular AT's. Are they noticeably stiffer? I would imagine so. I can't really say b/c that pickup is sprung a lot more stiffly than the RAM.

Remember, 10-ply is an old rating system based on old-school bias tires that Used to have 10 plies. IDT they actually have 10 sidewall plies. The better rating system is the 123/126 vs 115T.

The regular AT3's on the Ram are a more toned-down truck/suv tire. 115 load range. It rides nice and smooth on the Ram and has some hauling capacity if I need it. I was running 113 tires before. I don't notice any difference really from what I had. IDK...they run out nice. Didn't take many weights to balance nice. Handles fine. I'm real happy with them. Happy with the savings. I think they were made in the USA or Mexico, I can't remember. I would buy again. I didn't need the heavier duty tires on the pavement princess RAM... LOL. Neither are loud or noisy. Not at all. Didn't notice any change in gas mileage.

One other reason I went with Coopers is some Coopers I've had in the past and still do on another vehicle didn't seem to weathercheck or dry rot for many many yrs. They've outlasted some Michelins and Goodyears which dry-rotted like crazy!! I can't say if I'll have that luck with these but I hope so.

I looked at some AT3-XLT's first hand at F/F and was thinking about buying a set. Nice looking tire. The walmart deal made me think twice.

:waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
You mean the AT3's? Or the AT3-XLT's?

I actually have both of these Coopers: The 10- AT3's in THIS link on a RCSB OBS GMC that has the off-road pkg. And the regular Cooper AT's (115 load range) on the Ram. The tread and sidewall look almost the same, but they are different construction.

:waytogo:

Yes, I meant the differences between the regular AT's and the AT3's. You explained it well. Thank you.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
No change in the Cooper tires since Goodyear bought them out???

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
"All-Season" or "4-Season" tires? There's a difference. For your usage you're probably best off looking at 4-season. Fwiw, the term "all-season" is kind of misleading.

Here was my recent experience.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat