What Brand Timing Set and Other Stuff for 4.7 Valve Train Refresh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Here in 2021, what are the best parts to use when doing a 4.7L valve train refresh in a 2003 Ram 1500? At 260,000 miles, the chain in my 4.7L is getting loud. So far I've obtained a set of HO camshafts, an HO intake manifold and a set of used 2005 or newer rockers with the smaller oil holes. Here's a list of things I still need and the questions I have:

1. What brand of timing set is best? Should I get one of the popular and very affordable sets from Amazon, or go with a US made set like Melling?

2. Is the "professional" Melling timing set worth the extra $80 over the standard Melling timing set for an everyday truck?

3. Do I need to replace the timing sprockets? Should I go ahead and get a timing set that includes them or wait until I get into the engine to inspect the old ones? Do they often need replacing?

4. I have the slightly newer style NGC engine. Should I go ahead and use a timing cover gasket or just use RTV like I believe came from the factory? I will definitely replace the crank seal.

5. New oil pump needed? Yes or no?

6. Any other things to consider?

My skill level is ASE certified Master Tech. But I haven't worked professionally in a shop since I became a college boy in the 1980's. I'm looking for advice specifically from folks that know and love the 4.7 and 3.7 engines. That advice is highly appreciated. And I will use it when purchasing the parts I need. ;)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got a Cloyes timing set for my '02 4.7. It had the cam, crank, and idler sprockets included. I have the older JTEC style engine, though. Not sure if this timing set is the best, it was what was available.

20211001_185542.jpg

Notice the guides for both camshaft chains are all plastic, the original ones weren't. Not sure if it matters, just an observation.

OE is an option too, but a la carte, and expensive as you know.

I am not a professional mechanic either, so please don't take my word as gospel.

As far as the timing cover gasket, I like the one-piece metal/silicone style. Whether it is ok for all 4.7's, I do not know.

Oil pump, your call. I probably would, since you are already into it that far. Again, I am the farthest you can get from an expert.

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice than I can give.

(P.S. - My timing chain colored links are a bit off, because I had rotated my engine 2 complete cycles before I thought to/remembered to take this pic....lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Okay,

Here is my first attempt at a parts list.

1633189825997.png

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have a lot in common on the parts list but i used fel- pro for everything possible including the head bolts. I was also able to get myself some HO cams and an HO intake. I'm replacing every sensor and sending unit as well. I used Melling for the oil pump, rockers and the lash/lifters. I should be able to get in the garage tonight and start back on it. Catching heck on headers, Been told shorty's were a waste of money and go with long tube. I am considering doing a polish job with the dremel and the flex head on my stock exhaust manifold and then wrapping them. On the timing chain set i went with the pros that recommended Cloye's so as to stay away from the China crap. so i paid the big money for the Cloye's chains sprockets tensioners guides the whole nine yards. When the Cloye's box arrived guess what was printed on the side? Yep made in China. I should have all back together Tuesday afternoon. i will continue tomorrow morning uploading pics to my other post if you would like to follow along !!

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Just added a set of new lifters to my parts list. Power Seal (formerly Federal-Mogul) is known for quality lifters. And at $19.99 for a 4-pack, I snagged all four packs.

Ram Lifters 3Oct021_01.jpg

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I decided not to get a new oil pump. Changing it would mean pulling the oil pan to remove the pickup tube. I was only going to replace the oil pump because I thought it would be easy to do with the timing components removed. But since the pan must be dropped too, it's not worth it. I still have great oil pressure and these pumps last a long time if not clogged with sludge or metal shavings.

Here's my Rock Auto invoice.

Ram RockAutoValveStuff-4Oct2021.jpg

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
For the record, here's my Amazon order: