What do you carry in the bed in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agent86

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trying to decide if I need to put some weight in the bed of my Big Horn for winter. Anyone have suggestions?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My usual assortment of cargo securing devices, tools, tow/recovery straps and a shovel. Probably about 200lbs. Mine's a 1500 CC 4WD (manual transfer case).

-K

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Around here you can buy bags of sand at some stores for just that purpose. Did that occaisionally on my last truck but will wait to see how my Ram does in the winter first. The bags are cheap and I think about 75 lbs each. The real downside is that the bags tend to deteriorate over time and leave piles of sand in the bed.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don’t add anything. I have a Mega 2500 and for the most part it goes great in the snow in 2WD empty. If the roads are packed and icy 4WD is nearly unstoppable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
200-250lbs - Sandbags right up against the tailgate.
Makes a huge difference if your Anti-Slip is working properly with the ESC turned totally off.

Edit: I Also tote a heavy duty snow shovel as well as the 2 items in the pic.

I will also say: None of this really helps if you don’t have the right tires!

C37C372E-B36A-4FBC-8A4C-96BFA9847E11.jpeg

I do now have 2 of those straps.
I will occasionally stop & help stuck/stranded owners who I feel need help.
Yes: I am pretty selective whom I stop & pull out!
If there is only a Mom & Kids - I will help every time! Or Senior Citizens!
To many whacked out A$$ hats out there to stop & rescue grown men who can’t help themselves prepare for the moments like this. (I have & am prepared).
I never jerk only a slow pull in 4WD Low w/ESC system totally off.

Last edited:

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Aftermarket bumper and tonneau cover should just about do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
If you use 4 wheel drive when the conditions call for it you don’t need to put anything in the bed of the truck.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I throw five 70 lb sand bags in the back. Cheap at a regional hardware store here. Put them right over the axle, as too much weight against the tailgate can cause fishtailing. The bed divider that comes with the Ramboxes options helps a lot with keeping them in place, and still have a little room for other things.

Is it 100% necessary, no. However, it does help. I've tried it both ways, empty and with extra weight, and the extra weight makes things a bit easier and a little less 4x4 use.

In the Ramboxes, I always keep my Jump'N'Carry and battery tester, year 'round. In the winter, I also throw my tow ropes, D-ring for the hitch, and a few other pieces in there. Adds a bit more weight to it too.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I carry a shovel. Sometimes some snow if I forget to roll the cover back. Seriously never found the need for any weight and our snow, ice and cold up here is enough to make most people cry "UNCLE"!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I carry about 400 lbs of sand and another 50 - 100 of various gear. I'm apparently not nearly as ninja as those that don't carry any weight.