What does the ambient light control do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read through the manual and all I can figure out is that it turns on the interior light in some fashion. I tried it a couple of times - mostly when I adjusted the wrong knob trying to dim the dash lights - and I don't see anything happening at all.

This is the rotary switch to the left of the dash dim rotary switch.

Ideas?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The ambient light may be tied into the automatic headlight sensor. The lights itself is in the headliner console (if equipped). I don't think it's dimmable or can be manually turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read through the manual and all I can figure out is that it turns on the interior light in some fashion. I tried it a couple of times - mostly when I adjusted the wrong knob trying to dim the dash lights - and I don't see anything happening at all.

This is the rotary switch to the left of the dash dim rotary switch.

Ideas?

Well, depends on yer trim. On MY 19, it dims or basically turns off the Center Console Light that is built into the Upper Console. On higher trim models, I do not know if it also dims the other ambient lighting, since I got a Bighorn. (Also, if the right rotary switch, lights is Turned up all the way, your ambient lighting does not work, at least on Bighorns, easy to see at night)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, depends on yer trim. On MY 19, it dims or basically turns off the Center Console Light that is built into the Upper Console. On higher trim models, I do not know if it also dims the other ambient lighting, since I got a Bighorn. (Also, if the right rotary switch, dash lights is Turned up all the way, your ambient lighting does not work, at least on Bighorns, easy to see at night)
Thanks, I'll have to check that out next time I am driving at night. I have a Bighorn north edition group 2 4wd crew.

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mine controls the lighting on the floors

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks, I'll have to check that out next time I am driving at night. I have a Bighorn north edition group 2 4wd crew.
I also have a Bighorn, and for me, the wheel dims a tiny light in the overhead light cluster between the map lights. It only works when the headlights are on, and it just shines down onto the console/cup holder area. It’s pretty noticeable IMO (but I live in the country), heard from some city slickers saying it’s nearly impossible to discern in any areas with regular street lights. :)

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know exactly what tiny light you're talking about. I like that tiny light. I noticed it the first time driving back from NC through the mountains and thought "damn, that was a smart idea, whoever made that little light". My Titan had one also, but I don't think it was dimmable.

Hoythews71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There’s also a light in the upper glovebox that adjusts with that knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stepbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went by the dealer today and asked them that question and not too many seemed to know. One salesman told me that it controls lights that are mounted to the doors and you have to have that option for it to work. If you don't have it, then the dial does nothing.

OP
OP
JD Martin

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went by the dealer today and asked them that question and not too many seemed to know. One salesman told me that it controls lights that are mounted to the doors and you have to have that option for it to work. If you don't have it, then the dial does nothing.
Well, I'll have to watch the stuff inside next time it's dark. I suspect you might be right in that mine doesn't do anything.

Rambutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, depends on yer trim. On MY 19, it dims or basically turns off the Center Console Light that is built into the Upper Console. On higher trim models, I do not know if it also dims the other ambient lighting, since I got a Bighorn. (Also, if the right rotary switch, lights is Turned up all the way, your ambient lighting does not work, at least on Bighorns, easy to see at night)

i have a rebel and it only lights up in the same place also