"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why? I think they are in the perfect position.
Aren’t they kinda like the old-style 3rd Gen tow mirrors before they started making the whole outside third the convex? If so, I used to complain about the mirrors being in the upper outside corner on my old Ram so when I bought those WadeStar stick-on mirrors for my 4th Gen, I tried the mirrors in the lower outside corner but never was really all that crazy about their placement so couple years ago I removed them and re-stuck them in the upper outside corners and, I’ve liked them there ever since.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I find Upper Left for the Drivers' side (and [upper right] passengers' for that matter, but my passenger seat is currently fully "occupied" so I can't take a relevant pic) to be the ultimate ideal. I can't imagine a better option, other than a completely additional mirror. Like on my (sorry - Ford) RV - normal view, separate wide-angle, PLUS in-dash camera wide-angle.

1666832164600.jpeg

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Nope. They are in the UPPER corner, and they need to be in the lower corner so you can see where the back end of your truck is. Upper corner is ok if you are checking out the cop chopper chasing you.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Nope. They are in the UPPER corner, and they need to be in the lower corner so you can see where the back end of your truck is. Upper corner is ok if you are checking out the cop chopper chasing you.
Absolutely not. That blocks the "real" view right where you need it. Of course, that is just my opinion. But it's the only one that matters to me. As you can see in my pic, you can see the back of the truck with the normal mirror. Maybe part of it is how you like to adjust your mirrors. Actually, the view I took is not 100% accurate. I have my mirrors set so that in normal driving mode the actual side of the truck is barely out of view. This widens the view to the outside, helping to minimize/eliminate a blind spot. Even though I do have blind spot detection it's really not needed - with my setting I can see a vehicle, either in the mirror or peripherally, 100% of the time.

And FWIW, I can't see (no pun intended) that the relocation of a super-wide-angle mirror being moved 3" one way or another is going to make a hill of beans difference in how much it shows.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely not. That blocks the "real" view right where you need it. Of course, that is just my opinion. But it's the only one that matters to me. As you can see in my pic, you can see the back of the truck with the normal mirror. Maybe part of it is how you like to adjust your mirrors. Actually, the view I took is not 100% accurate. I have my mirrors set so that in normal driving mode the actual side of the truck is barely out of view. This widens the view to the outside, helping to minimize/eliminate a blind spot. Even though I do have blind spot detection it's really not needed - with my setting I can see a vehicle, either in the mirror or peripherally, 100% of the time.

And FWIW, I can't see (no pun intended) that the relocation of a super-wide-angle mirror being moved 3" one way or another is going to make a hill of beans difference in how much it shows.
Totally agree. And I’m not even saying this because, if it came down to it, I can go in my Uconnect settings and enable the mirror tilt when in reverse- which is all having those little fish-eye mirrors in the lower corners is good for. Now I understand why they made the old-style flip-up tow mirrors the way they did and why they continued that to the new style regular mirrors.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I had a 2019 Laramie for awhile and thought it was a pretty sweet truck. Market went nuts, sold it made 6k profit on it drove a ****** for awhile, market calmed down and got my Limited 4th gen for under book. Love it and still think the 5th gens are cool but glad it went the way it did

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
OK. I'll just agree to disagree. Been driving pickups for nigh on 50 years and have ALWAYS put a convex mirror in the outside lower corner. Like I said, I don't give a damn about the cop chopper, I want to see the road at the back corner of my truck. Just works better for me.

Thanks for the comments even though I disagree with all of them. Guess I'm just a grouchy old ******* set in my ways.

ljmasonwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, I have a 2023 RAM 3500 Limited Longhorn Crew Cab 4X4 Longbox with the 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel. I custom ordered it in Oct 2022, got it in March 2023 and have over 30K on it now. This is my 2nd RAM 3500 CTD and I have a Dodge 2500 CTD.

I love everything about my truck with very few exceptions...
1. The damn beeping alarm when I close the door with the engine running so I can open or close my gate.
2. Anything and everything related to UConnect or Guardian. The UConnect in 2007 and in 2016 worked fine(ish) for me, but the new version just sucks. Can't adjust half the settings I used to be able to... can't block specific Sirius stations any more, can't text to speech any more, can't adjust the map size any more, have to go through half a dozen menus (while driving) to change the trailer setting or the nav volume.

RAM needs to quit acting like iPhone and let ME set up MY truck the way I want to!

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. The damn beeping alarm when I close the door with the engine running so I can open or close my gate.
Beeping alarm? You talking about the beeping that goes on inside the truck when you step out with it running and the fob’s in your pocket? If so, that can easily be prevented if you leave the fob in the truck when you step out which is weird because even the 4th Gens did that so I guess this is some other beeping you’re referring to I don’t know anything about.
2. Anything and everything related to UConnect or Guardian. The UConnect in 2007 and in 2016 worked fine(ish) for me, but the new version just sucks. Can't adjust half the settings I used to be able to... can't block specific Sirius stations any more, can't text to speech any more, can't adjust the map size any more, have to go through half a dozen menus (while driving) to change the trailer setting or the nav volume.
So what settings can you now not change?

I guess I had forgotten that we can block out certain stations on XM, at least on the previous generation. I turned that overcharging service off a long time ago so of course, it wouldn’t be an issue for me… Lol.

But it’s always been kind of a pain to go to specific settings without having to go through a bunch of other stuff to get to it but when you say text to speech, are you talking about like if you wanted to send a text message to somebody, you just talk to it and it’ll type it for you or are you talking about wanting your radio to read your incoming texts to you? Either way, you should be able to do that with your phone and not so much have to worry about your radio doing it for you.

And they won’t let you adjust the map size anymore?…hmm. I can adjust the size on mine but due to the fact of how much the factory Uconnect navigation sucks, I just use either Apple Maps or Google Maps on my big screen from my phone when it’s connected to my radio through Apple CarPlay.

RAM needs to quit acting like iPhone and let ME set up MY truck the way I want to!
Lol, it’s not just Ram. Pretty much everything these days is turning into a large iPhone on wheels.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Beeping alarm? You talking about the beeping that goes on inside the truck when you step out with it running and the fob’s in your pocket? If so, that can easily be prevented if you leave the fob in the truck when you step out which is weird because even the 4th Gens did that so I guess this is some other beeping you’re referring to I don’t know anything about.
The horn actually honks 3 times on the 22+ trucks, or at least the HD ones. My 4th gen '18 2500 did not do that. And there is no way to shut it off via factory settings options. Lots of threads about this issue.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The horn actually honks 3 times on the 22+ trucks, or at least the HD ones. My 4th gen '18 2500 did not do that. And there is no way to shut it off via factory settings options. Lots of threads about this issue.
So the horn honks three times if you step out of the truck with it idling and the key fob goes with you…? Hmm. I believe that’s the first I’ve ever heard about that.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So the horn honks three times if you step out of the truck with it idling and the key fob goes with you…? Hmm. I believe that’s the first I’ve ever heard about that.
No offense intended, but you must not spend much time on Ram forums. Ram Cares even started a survey on a different Ram forum about this. Currently running about 200 to 3 against. It is a roundly hated feature.

One of many examples:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No offense intended, but you must not spend much time on Ram forums. Ram Cares even started a survey on a different Ram forum about this. Currently running about 200 to 3 against. It is a roundly hated feature.

One of many examples:
OK so then it’s like I said before to the original person that was talking about this here that since being that this is what this is all about, leave the fob in the truck and you won’t have this problem.

And I guess it’s good that ram cares started a survey on this but I highly doubt anything will ever happen from it because of the plain and simple fact that even if you lock the truck with it idling, someone could still break a window and take off even though you’ve got the fob so, this is a way of preventing that.

And no offense taken at all because here lately the only time I really come on here is whenever somebody replies to a topic that I’ve either created myself or that I’ve responded to and don’t really spend a whole lot of time anymore scrolling through all the other unsubscribed threads but I am on another web forum for ram trucks along with about three or four ram truck Facebook groups and have never seen where anybody’s complained about this but, it sounds like it’s an issue with just the newer body style trucks which I don’t follow a whole lot on.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, but only if you shut the door. If you leave the door open you can walk away and no honking.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK so then it’s like I said before to the original person that was talking about this here that since being that this is what this is all about, leave the fob in the truck and you won’t have this problem.

And I guess it’s good that ram cares started a survey on this but I highly doubt anything will ever happen from it because of the plain and simple fact that even if you lock the truck with it idling, someone could still break a window and take off even though you’ve got the fob so, this is a way of preventing that.

And no offense taken at all because here lately the only time I really come on here is whenever somebody replies to a topic that I’ve either created myself or that I’ve responded to and don’t really spend a whole lot of time anymore scrolling through all the other unsubscribed threads but I am on another web forum for ram trucks along with about three or four ram truck Facebook groups and have never seen where anybody’s complained about this but, it sounds like it’s an issue with just the newer body style trucks which I don’t follow a whole lot on.
The problem with that is, if you get in the habit of leaving the fob in the truck you're eventually going to turn the truck off, get out and lock the door and leave the fob in there and then have no way to get back in.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, but only if you shut the door. If you leave the door open you can walk away and no honking.
Hmm well, there ya go….lol. Either leave the fob in the truck or if the fob is with you when you get out, leave the door open……of course, that probably wouldn’t be a good idea leaving the door open if you step out right quick to get a soda at a gas station and you feel you must leave the motor idling.

But just outta curiosity, I wonder if one of those seatbelt extenders that people use to keep the Auto Park from activating so they can hang out the driver door while backing up would keep the interior beeping and horn from honking… I would imagine not because it’s the proximity sensor in the truck that’s not sensing the fob that does it so maybe somebody oughta try it?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem with that is, if you get in the habit of leaving the fob in the truck you're eventually going to turn the truck off, get out, and leave the fob in there and then have no way to get back in.
No, they’ve already taken care of that risk long time ago because if you leave the fob anywhere inside the cab and you either deliberately or accidentally hit the lock button on the door panel, while the ignition’s off, the truck will honk the horn and unlock the driver door. Already tested that and that’s what my 4th Gen does somi would assume that technology followed into the new bodystyles.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No, they’ve already taken care of that risk long time ago because if you leave the fob anywhere inside the cab and you either deliberately or accidentally hit the lock button on the door panel, while the ignition’s off, the truck will honk the horn and unlock the driver door. Already tested that and that’s what my 4th Gen does somi would assume that technology followed into the new bodystyles.
Well now, there ya go making assumptions. :Big Laugh: I don't have electronic locks, I have manual locks. Matter of fact, the only thing electronic is the tailgate lock and I don't like that because the fob button commonly gets pushed in my pocket and is locking the damn thing. So, if I got in the habit of leaving my keys in the cupholder, I know that eventually I will forget to grab them, turn the truck off, get out, and lock them inside. I have a hide-a-key, but that's a PITA to get to crawling under the truck to access it. This could all be bypassed if they just had regular keyed locks. Much less chance to lock your keys inside if you have to turn the truck off by turning the key, then removing the key and just holding it in your hand as you exit the vehicle. <sigh>

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well now, there ya go making assumptions. :Big Laugh: I don't have electronic locks, I have manual locks. Matter of fact, the only thing electronic is the tailgate lock and I don't like that because the fob button commonly gets pushed in my pocket and is locking the damn thing. So, if I got in the habit of leaving my keys in the cupholder, I know that eventually I will forget to grab them, turn the truck off, get out, and lock them inside. I have a hide-a-key, but that's a PITA to get to crawling under the truck to access it. This could all be bypassed if they just had regular keyed locks. Much less chance to lock your keys inside if you have to turn the truck off by turning the key, then removing the key and just holding it in your hand as you exit the vehicle. <sigh>
My bad, I was taking what you last said as being aimed at everybody in general, not just yourself… Lol. That’s why I said that if you(anybody) have the push-button start with the passive entry system, you don’t have to worry about locking yourself out.

But yeah, that could be somewhat eliminated if they just went back to actual key cylinders that require you to turn a key but then how would you lock your doors from the inside if it requires turning the key? Sure, if they would’ve made all vehicles like my 2004 Peterbilt 379 that I drive every day for work that if you somehow manage to push the plunger down and inadvertently lock the door, the door will unlock itself once it latches but not every car is made that way or at least, I don’t think any of the ones I ever drove were like that which, if you left the key inside and forgot it, and close the door with the lock button pushed down, you were screwed.