"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Is that on a 5th Gen? 4th Gen were terrible, but everything I've heard about the 5th Gen (which are LED) is that they are fantastic. My LED reflectors rate about an 8/10.

the headlights on my laramie light up stuff pretty far ahead but not so much the roadway just in front of me.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No CD player.

Missed that during the buying phase, not sure if it would have made a difference. But sometimes the radio or SeriousXM just don't cut it.

I can’t go without my own personal music selection either but I cut my reliance on a CD player years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What model did you get? I'm pretty sure most that I looked at had a CD player. I don't remember seeing it as an optional feature at any point either. It is hidden underneath the climate controls and trailer brake controller on the 5th gens. The 4th gens rarely had a CD player.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That’s because you had to know where to look. It’s in the bottom part of the center console.

I’m not sure where the stuck it in the bench-seat models. I’m assuming in that underseat cubby?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bout the fact that I am not able to sell mine.. Nothing wrong with truck by all means. Problem I have is that it's just to big for what I am needing and is not being put to it's full potential.

Sooo, why are you having a hard time selling it??

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still in the market for buying a RAM. Hopefully soon. But, I've compared the GM trucks, and here's where I'd like to see RAM upgrade their offering.

- A H.U.D. Having info on the road in front of you is just awesome.
- The cameras. Silverado's best camera system just blows everyone away. Especially that rear-view mirror camera thing. RAM 360 cameras are nice, but you just have to see the Silverado to see where RAM didn't quite out do GM in regards to the cameras.

With trucks getting bigger and bigger, that camera thing would be my biggest want. Though RAM seems to do everything else about the two trucks much better. RAM hands down, but not quite perfect.

Yeah, I’ve seen that goofy commercial about how “so badass” that camera system supposedly was, more times that I care to admit...Lol. It’s almost as annoying as that goofy tailgate commercial as well.

I wasn’t impressed. The only time I even look at the rear camera on my Ram is when I know there’s something back there to back into. Otherwise, I just use my mirrors.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They started putting them in again in 2019.
I have seen 2020s without again.
I'm pretty sure SXM pays/paid them to not install them so you buy their service.

That seems kinda far-fetched but in all reality, I wouldn’t be surprised. But then again with music streaming services as in pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes and amazon music, I wouldn’t think SiriusXM would have much of a leg to stand on towards that.

4wllr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Instrument lights stay illuminated while truck is turned off. I get to work early and sit in the parking lot for 1/2 hour , Its very frustrating not being able to turn off the lights , would be even more aggravating at a drive in.

Ramcharger84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Instrument lights stay illuminated while truck is turned off. I get to work early and sit in the parking lot for 1/2 hour , Its very frustrating not being able to turn off the lights , would be even more aggravating at a drive in.

I put a small towel over the panel for that.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They don’t want you to disable it. That’s why it took a tuner before, and still takes a tuner but with the addition of an unlocked PCM.

But if you have the 8-speed- not sure of this trick works in the pre 8-speeds or not but at least with the 8-speed, you can use your +/- buttons on your steering wheel to have your gear display show all 8 gears next to the PNDR readout. So yeah, there is a way to disable it without a tuner, you just have to do that every time you start the truck or after you shift back from Park, Neutral or Reverse.

Yes it works.... That’s how I disable mine every single time I put it in drive. Buyer should have the option as much as these trucks cost I couldn’t give a rats ass about the EPA or AIDS mandates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So far I don't like not having an off option to the HVAC when you have the controls on split screen. All you can do is turn it down to 1. If you want to turn it off you have to click climate then when you press the minus button it goes from 1 to off. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but that's a pain in the ass. The minus button on split screen should do the same thing instead of stopping at 1.
If you have the big screen display you should have physical fan controls on the left side, just tap the lower fan button to shut it off. Just tested and pressing the button on the screen will go from 1 to Off.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it works.... That’s how I disable mine every single time I put it in drive. Buyer should have the option as much as these trucks cost I couldn’t give a rats ass about the EPA or AIDS mandates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I agree with you completely and wholeheartedly but, since buying a new vehicle these days is gotten so political with the EPA and ****, it’s just one of those little things that we as consumers have to deal with. If it really is that bother some then that’s when we have to buy a new unlocked computer and a tuner and we can turn it off that way.

But for whatever it’s worth, at least they’ve improved the quality of it because even with the Carven progressive exhaust I have on my pickup, having that MDS on with it doesn’t screw with my exhaust note near as bad as it did on my old ten-year old truck that I used to have. The MDS made my exhaust on that old truck just downright unbearable which is why I resorted to buying a tuner just specifically for that to disable the MDS. At least on my new truck, it doesn’t mess up the sound of it enough to where I don’t even really notice it half the time.

But yeah, either way regardless, there are still quite a few times where like being on a long trip that I’ll use that plus minus button on the steering wheel to turn it off. Funny thing is, a lot of times I’ll get better fuel mileage if I have it turned off… LOL.

wfscooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I don’t like the switches that stick out right above the cell phone holder. They are in the way when putting your phone in or taking it out, without sliding the cup tray back. They should have kept the flat buttons like my 2016 had.
2. I miss the smaller key fob remote.
3. AC Auto setting takes WAY too long to adjust appropriately, I find myself bumping it up to bring the blower down, then back down once it finally lowers. My 2013 & 2016 did not have this problem.
5. I love everything else about my 2019. :)

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can turn off the instrument lights with the little wheel below the light dial-should work on yours.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
small wheel below the light dial-turn all the way left until it clicks-my Bighorn has this-turns off all interior lights on mine.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 1500 Hemi badge on the hood. Move that thang back down where it used to be! It’s an eye sore.

Love absolutely everything everything though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca