"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I guess thanks for pointing that out because I didn’t notice that the last guy I quoted had the tow mirrors.

Come to think of it, I’m not even so sure the tow mirrors o had on my 2008 halfton were heated....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every truck I’ve owned over the last 20yrs had heated mirrors. They’ve become so common, or so I thought, that I didn’t even look at them as an option when ordering my truck. I had to have the tow mirrors but just assumed they would be heated. Like I said earlier, the power fold is a nice feature but not necessary. Heated on the other hand, is a requirement in Northern NY.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nice looking rebel! I would leave a reallll nice review everywhere I could about that salesman of yours, sounds like he was saying (BS'ing) anything to make a sale. Surprising on the lack of heated mirrors, as corneileous asked, do you have the little heat symbol in the mirror?

Sounds more like he was mislead and the truck really has no air ride at all.

My 2017 has tow mirrors that are heated (other than the small outer mirror), just have to turn on the rear defrost to activate them. If ram really took that away on the new ones, that's a really stupid move on their part.

I had to add the tow mirrors to my ‘13 Cummins, another thing I just can’t fathom. Who buys a 2500 diesel and doesn’t get tow mirrors on it. But at least the ones it came with were power and heated.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had to add the tow mirrors to my ‘13 Cummins, another thing I just can’t fathom. Who buys a 2500 diesel and doesn’t get tow mirrors on it. But at least the ones it came with were power and heated.

Agreed, I've had two rams with tow mirrors and one with the power fold, for my needs they both do fine although I prefer the tow mirrors for overall function, even without towing. Also agree, power fold isn't a huge deal to me (but nice sometimes), but with NY winters yeah the heated part is necessary (just used mine last night).

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lack of a telescopic steering wheel and the 2 way lumber support. 4 way should be the minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

matti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just drove my 2019 Tradesman for a week after three F150s ('10, '17, '18). I love how SMOOTH the truck drives compared to my Ford (both 5L and 3.5 V6).

I don't like how I don't have volume buttons on the steering wheel and the rear view mirror is smaller (not a big deal). I like this truck... :)

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was actually surprised on how much you could build up the tradesman with options online. The main reason it was a hard no from me is the Mega Cab wasn’t an option. That and the remote start didn’t seem to be available, but that can be done aftermarket pretty easily.

matti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was actually surprised on how much you could build up the tradesman with options online. The main reason it was a hard no from me is the Mega Cab wasn’t an option. That and the remote start didn’t seem to be available, but that can be done aftermarket pretty easily.

Yep, totally! My first time getting a Ram but Ford is the same way. Soooo many options. I always shop for a new work truck at the end of the year for my business. I always get a truck off the lot and get a big discount so I'm "stuck" with what was on there.

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting about the heated mirrors. My Gen 5 2500 tradesman has heated mirrors, but no rear windshield defrost. Seems weird to me, although i guess they might figure you don't need the rear window clear cause you're towing (?)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every truck I’ve owned over the last 20yrs had heated mirrors. They’ve become so common, or so I thought, that I didn’t even look at them as an option when ordering my truck. I had to have the tow mirrors but just assumed they would be heated. Like I said earlier, the power fold is a nice feature but not necessary. Heated on the other hand, is a requirement in Northern NY.

I just looked up my old vin in the build sheet section and my old truck I guess I was right about it not having heated mirrors....

But I have to respectfully disagree on the necessity of the power-fold tow mirrors. As far out as those things stick out, I think it’s highly necessary.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just looked up my old vin in the build sheet section and my old truck I guess I was right about it not having heated mirrors....

But I have to respectfully disagree on the necessity of the power-fold tow mirrors. As far out as those things stick out, I think it’s highly necessary.

My last 3 trucks had tow mirrors and they rarely ever got folded in. An electric up and down would be nice as I usually forget to flip them up until after I pull out of the driveway towing the camper. The last set I bought for my ‘13 were power fold, I just never got around to hooking up that option. Only been on the truck for a little over 3 years. [emoji23]

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last 3 trucks had tow mirrors and they rarely ever got folded in. An electric up and down would be nice as I usually forget to flip them up until after I pull out of the driveway towing the camper. The last set I bought for my ‘13 were power fold, I just never got around to hooking up that option. Only been on the truck for a little over 3 years. [emoji23]

Well, too each is own but because of the lack of power-fold option on the 1500’s, that’s why I wasn’t broken up about my new pickup not having them gargantuan mirrors. My last truck had them and it was a pain in the ass having to fold them in manually. [emoji41]

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've pulled about 60K now with my 2500. Tried the tow mirrors up a few times and found very little difference in sight over the stock position. I keep them down now. And the aero is better. (as if that means much with our bricks)

pmckee81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
heated tow mirrors, It has the symbol in the corner.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
652256dbc1a6f0455fb2fd2b4e0df4ce.jpg

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've pulled about 60K now with my 2500. Tried the tow mirrors up a few times and found very little difference in sight over the stock position. I keep them down now. And the aero is better. (as if that means much with our bricks)

I guess that depends on what you’re towing. I know it makes a major difference in seeing around my 5th wheel camper.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
Just drove my 2019 Tradesman for a week after three F150s ('10, '17, '18). I love how SMOOTH the truck drives compared to my Ford (both 5L and 3.5 V6).

I don't like how I don't have volume buttons on the steering wheel and the rear view mirror is smaller (not a big deal). I like this truck... :)

Your truck doesn't have the buttons on the back of the steering wheel? I thought this was on all of them. Feel fortunate that I did get them I guess!

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don’t really see how 18’s provide any smoother ride than the 20’s.

Really?

There's another inch of sidewall and air between you and the road. How could there not? I'm not saying it would be the difference between a bulldozer and a Mercedes, just there there would be a difference.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I could see where that would make a difference. I tow a TT and find it doesn't make much of a difference.

To me, a TT is a Tractor Trailer a/k/a Big Rig, Class 8 articulated, etc. I know some pickup companies have made a big show out of towing big things but what are you referring to?

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To me, a TT is a Tractor Trailer a/k/a Big Rig, Class 8 articulated, etc. I know some pickup companies have made a big show out of towing big things but what are you referring to?

Travel Trailer. Tow behind camper not of the 5th wheel type.

aka - Bumper Pull