"What DON'T you like about your 5th Gen RAM"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering what he was actually talking about on that. I know that a lot of things on that big 12 inch screen is like a split screen but I wasn’t sure if he was expecting to be able to put Waze on that full big screen or what he was trying to do.

Yup I think only the built in NAV and Sirius/XM can be made full screen. It is still nice in that you can have Waze on the top and something else on the bottom (music, hvac controls, etc).

What exactly is the issue? When you start talking about putting a shut off valve on the coolant line that goes to the heater core, you’re starting to talk about the reason why these older big semi-trucks have the valves to turn that on and off because we have the same problem with some of our trucks that the ACs don’t get cold enough unless you shut the hot water off to the heater core which is primarily because of a blend door problem not isolating the heat from the cold where the airbox is in your dash…

This forum won't let me link to the other Ram forums so you will need to search there.

Again this is related to 5th gen Rams. The 2019 classics do not have the issue as they use the 4th gen setup.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In the 4th gen forum there is a thread "What DON'T you like about your RAM?". I haven't seen one here on the DT forum (maybe there is nothing anyone doesn't like yet???!). So rather than starting a random thread (well, I did, but I expect it can be closed if it's suitable), did I just miss it? If not, maybe this can be the start.

Mind you, it's not like I hate it. Mostly love it. But there are a few so far (after just 3 days of ownership). I won't post even the most minor one unless/until I find there's NOT another thread already going.
It's sevice department! This is the one thing that scares me about owning this truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How easily all the plastic trim pieces chip and wear. My mirrors, grill and hood deflector are already looking pretty shabby to me at 20,000 miles.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK, here's another nit-pick.

When the Heated Seats are triggered by Remote Start, they are set at 3 and stay that way.

When the Cooled Seats are triggered by Remote Start, they are set at 3 but change to 1 when you activate the truck. So you have to press the button twice to get back to full power.

It's not that I have to press the button twice (talk about First World Problems!) just annoying that things are not consistent.

OP
OP
TestPilot57

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another one:

Body alignment quality control.

OK. I have tires that are 3" larger in diameter and 1-3/4" wider than stock.

BUT STILL

I have no problems on the Right Front (after removing the aftermarket mud flaps), however the Left Front clearly has a good 1/2" less clearance at the rear bottom of the fender opening. I guess I wouldn't have noticed if the tire didn't rub...

Again, with stock wheels/tires you would never notice, but it's there. I wonder if that type of thing is common, or maybe my truck was built on a Mon/Fri. Since it was special ordered I would have thought they'd run those ones down the line on Wednesdays.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
l wonder how much dirt gets into fuel system/filters?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How easily all the plastic trim pieces chip and wear. My mirrors, grill and hood deflector are already looking pretty shabby to me at 20,000 miles.

Aren’t you driving yours in a lot of mud and stuff for work? Mine is almost 3 years old with pretty close to 30,000 miles and all that on mine still looks pretty brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenF8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
... that i cannot open the door to watch thee ground when backing up.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Is it just me or do others have the windshield wiper spray drip/creep to the driver's and passenger front windows?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
... that i cannot open the door to watch thee ground when backing up.

I know I’ll probably get scolded again by a few choice members for replying but yes, you most certainly can open the door and watch the ground go by as you back up and not have your transmission slam itself into park; you just have to ride your foot on the brake, put your seatbelt on either over you or behind you or you can get one of those seatbelt extenders and clip it in your buckle which will fool your truck into thinking your belt is buckled when it actually isn’t.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I know I’ll probably get scolded again by a few choice members for replying but yes, you most certainly can open the door and watch the ground go by as you back up and not have your transmission slam itself into park; you just have to ride your foot on the brake, put your seatbelt on either over you or behind you or you can get one of those seatbelt extenders and clip it in your buckle which will fool your truck into thinking your belt is buckled when it actually isn’t.

wait for it... Waaaiiit for it...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you mean it gets on the hood, yes. I hate that too.

I guess I just have far too many other things happening that gets my truck dirty rather than a dribble of washer fluid on the hood.

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
No, it's not a "dribble". Both the driver's side and passenger's side front windows get coated with streaks from the windshield wiper fluid.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it's not a "dribble". Both the driver's side and passenger's side front windows get coated with streaks from the windshield wiper fluid.

I don’t think that’s what Ramcharger thought you meant but I think I know now what you’re talking about. Are those raised plastic mounding things on each side of your windshield in good shape? Falling apart? Coming undone? I don’t guess I’ve ever had that problem; course then again, my windshield’s side moldings do a pretty good job and I always keep a good coat of wax on my truck and windows so nothing really sticks...lol.

Coupe427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm 6'4 and 250lbs. Came from a 2010 F150 and wish the B pillar was further back. It's next to my head when I look left. Although since the door isn't as long it is easier to open in parking lots. Really miss the keypad on the door. Absolutely can't stand that when I have a trailer hooked up it locks up the brakes when reversing unless you turn off the park sensors. AC fan could use a higher speed. Oil filter location is stupid. I'd prefer the trailer wiring connectors below the bumper so the wires aren't bouncing around against the bumper.