What DON'T you like about your RAM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Are you running 5w20 or 5w30?

I use the synthetic at dealership. Pennzoil I believe. I have a slight tick sometimes too on start up. 45k kilometres and it’s happened maybe 3-4 times. Not sure if I should be worried. Maybe I’ll mention to dealer when in for oil change.

I read somewhere the MDS need 5-20 oil. Not sure how accurate that is but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have considered going that route. Mine has ticked on startup at random times but it quietens down within seconds after startup. I have 9,000 miles left or until October 2020 left of the CPO warranty I have when I bought the truck. I run a 5w20 blend now, I have looked into a 5w30 full synthetic. I change my oil every 4900-5200 miles and I rarely let it idle. With 91k miles the truck has only 7 idle hours which I hope helps my case with my camshaft holding out!
That's a really good figure. Mines 21 hours idle at 52K miles. Motor city mechanic mentioned about idle hours equals certain miles engine wear, but I dont remember the figures.
My only worry is the manifold bolts snapping. I've read it's a case of when and not if.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's a really good figure. Mines 21 hours idle at 52K miles. Motor city mechanic mentioned about idle hours equals certain miles engine wear, but I dont remember the figures.
My only worry is the manifold bolts snapping. I've read it's a case of when and not if.

I also have low idle hours compared to drive, however, when it’s -30 Celsius I have no choice but to let it idle to warm it up.

I use the dealer synthetic. Once in a while I’ll have a tick on start up. Lasts a few seconds and goes away. It’s 5-20 oil.

Interesting thread

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=260061&amp=1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

My truck had the right side studs around 50k. They didn’t have to drill thank goodness. Just studs and Nuts were replaced. I wish FCA had an improved design so this doesn’t happen again.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck had the right side studs around 50k. They didn’t have to drill thank goodness. Just studs and Nuts were replaced. I wish FCA had an improved design so this doesn’t happen again.
I wonder if there is any hemi owners on here that their bolts never broke?

Also, probably should post as a different post. Is it possible for owners that dont have broken bolts to just remove current bolts and replace or is this practice pointless?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The struts in the front are good for about a thousand miles then you feel every bump had to fight to have mine changed on a 2016 5.7 Laramie also the 8.4 u connect sucks big time no audio all the time

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must have been stoned (joke), my idle time is the following.
20190421_171337.jpeg

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use the synthetic at dealership. Pennzoil I believe. I have a slight tick sometimes too on start up. 45k kilometres and it’s happened maybe 3-4 times. Not sure if I should be worried. Maybe I’ll mention to dealer when in for oil change.

I read somewhere the MDS need 5-20 oil. Not sure how accurate that is but....

If you take a peak at the synthetic oil thread, you see guys running 5/30 and 5/40 oil without issues, the MDS works just fine. You are correct though, the manual states use only 5/20 or your mds could malfunction.

Last edited:

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wish the alpine radio on my 2012 had HD channels and would have the option to send the voice to other speakers than the little center speaker on the dash. Bohemian Rhapsody comes to mind as it sounds ****** when all the voices go in one speaker.

mrq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pinion nut loosens up, pinion shifts and destroys the differential

Engine throttles to keep the wheels from spinning, slow reaction time to pedal movement. ESC pops on at some odd times.

Never heard of anyone having those issues. That’s a new one on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the moment, I’m really not liking the IFS on my 1500.
I currently have a vibration that appears to be coming from the front end that I can’t seem to track down.
Tires have been balanced and rotated more times than I care to remember. Ball joints have been changed, and alignment checked.
It will run down the road smooth as silk one day, and vibrate the next.
Seems most noticeable between 50 and 60 mph, and gets worse when going through gradual turns at those speeds.

Not sure what else to check, and really fighting off the urge to just say “screw it”, and put the D60’s that I have in the barn under it.

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did u check to see if ur brakes are warped or needs greasing. A sticking brake piston hitting a warped surface.