What is it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should I have the dealer take care of it. Twisted at about a 30 degree angle, the other side is square. Is it causing unnecessary wear and should be taken care of asap?

20190311_101402.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think that is the passenger side stabilizer for the torsion bar? Those have a non-serviceable ball on each end. I don't think it is hurting anything by being in the position it's in. But if it really bugs you, take some vice grips & square it up.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
have you tried to twist it back or move the link in any direction? how much movement do you have there?

OP
OP
B

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think that is the passenger side stabilizer for the torsion bar? Those have a non-serviceable ball on each end. I don't think it is hurting anything by being in the position it's in. But if it really bugs you, take some vice grips & square it up.
No it doesn't bother me . I was going to let the dealer do it on the next oil change but that's 4 months away. I just wasn't sure if that ball would be ground out of round by then. I'd straighten it myself but figured the nut was under torqued if it was twisted?

OP
OP
B

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have you tried to twist it back or move the link in any direction? how much movement do you have there?
No I just saw it yesterday when I was under it looking to see if I had fog light harnesses. I don't know if it is a cover or a solid piece of the linkage. I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal to straighten. It only has 5000 miles on it and figured I'd let the dealer do it.

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Sway bar stabilizer. Probably worn out. Any knocking? Easy to replace and pretty cheap.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
theres a joint under there.

make sure its tight and relatively stiff to move around... if it flops around at either the top or bottom attachment points, they may need replacing...but 5k miles is way to early.

that link moves with a range of motion when flexing, and needs the ability to slightly twist and yaw. its ok that it shifted, so long as its not loose....go ahead and straighten it out if possible.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just installed a steering stabilizer on mine this weekend my drivers side looks identical to that and the passenger side is sitting flush. I wouldn't worry about it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Mine looked like that when it was brand new. It is now at 25k miles and it still looks like that.

Its good to be cautious, but thats nothing to worry about.

Brandi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
Regarding it being way too early...my truck had a rear main seal crack and have to be replaced at 9k miles. You never know about these things. I've had the thing 16 months and have yet to get the alignment correct - it pulls to the right so I drive down the road holding the steering wheel at 10-11 oclock. They say nothing is wrong with it. 25000 miles on it and I've already worn through the first set of tires.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Should I have the dealer take care of it. Twisted at about a 30 degree angle, the other side is square. Is it causing unnecessary wear and should be taken care of asap?

View attachment 158376

I would think the knuckle end (where the ball joint is) would be parallel to the centerline of the vehicle just like on the other side. If not held in position during installation, the shaft will move when tightening the stabilizer link, which is what I think happened on the line. It probably is not causing any problem at that angle.

If you have a concern, however, don't be afraid to have the dealer check it out. There might be a long term effect and the factory should be aware of it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 010909 miles.

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would think the knuckle end (where the ball joint is) would be parallel to the centerline of the vehicle just like on the other side. If not held in position during installation, the shaft will move when tightening the stabilizer link, which is what I think happened on the line. It probably is not causing any problem at that angle.

If you have a concern, however, don't be afraid to have the dealer check it out. There might be a long term effect and the factory should be aware of it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 010909 miles.

Close inspection of that pic will show there are two ball sockets on that stabilizer link . The link is intended to float between the two attachment points. JSYK

OP
OP
B

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Close inspection of that pic will show there are two ball sockets on that stabilizer link . The link is intended to float between the two attachment points. JSYK
I think you are right. The top end looks like it is perpendicular to the bottom one? Makes more sense now.