What is this for? A jack point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is it stock? I have that on my 1500 but I thought it was for a tow hook

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
^ Yep, snow plow prep group.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well being in So Cal I think the only use for a snow plow for me would be this... :)

Ahhh the real power wagon! Back when they extremely tough.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
View media item 26171
Anyone know what this is for? It's bolted on to the bumper supports I think? It is a jack point? Anyone remove these?

Sorry but your pic didn’t come through on my end.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know on my 2500 I could remove them.. I did see them on my 1500.. but haven't looked at them enough to see if I could remove them..

When I had my bumper off - they were staring at me! Looked like a buck tooth truck!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Also, can be used for front mount hitch. My son can easily maneuver trailers into tight spaces with his Ram 2500's front hitch.

I use them for jack points due to having already a winch and adding a front mount hitch up front would make changing the oil filter on the Power Wagon 6.4L somewhat more difficult.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know on my 2500 I could remove them.. I did see them on my 1500.. but haven't looked at them enough to see if I could remove them..

When I had my bumper off - they were staring at me! Looked like a buck tooth truck!

On the 1500 the tow hook bolts to that, there’s a threaded insert in the bottom

D68C5663-B201-41F8-93AE-0A0E7F02C95B.jpeg

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my 2500 it's open at the end. I have used it for Jack stands

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its purpose has nothing to do with snow plow or anything like that. Its purpose is to prevent your truck from literally running over smaller vehicles. these drop brackets will hopefully collide with the other vehicle's (smaller cars) bumper frame - not just the plastic parts. This prevents the tires from running up and over the car. they are known as "compatibility brackets". Please don't spread the mis-information about snow plow prep group..

OP
OP
JDA-PW2018

JDA-PW2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK I have a crazy idea for these. I would like to invent some type of trail brush trimmers. Like 6' long hedge trimmers that mount vertical to the front sides of the truck. So that when I'm going down a jeep trail, the trimmers hedge clip the brush back another foot on each side for my power wagon to fit. Maybe we could mount them to these brackets. :)

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK I have a crazy idea for these. I would like to invent some type of trail brush trimmers. Like 6' long hedge trimmers that mount vertical to the front sides of the truck. So that when I'm going down a jeep trail, the trimmers hedge clip the brush back another foot on each side for my power wagon to fit. Maybe we could mount them to these brackets. :)

And so begins the "GoFund ME " page... I will donate a Dollar!. :)

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, just googled it and you are right. They are so we don't monster truck over other cars. Interesting.

2017 Power wagon owner here. Accident in Dec 2017. That is how I know. For the record, they don't work all that well. Everyone was ok for the most part, however, if anyone was in the back seat of that car, they would have been dead. Truck went through the trunk and all the way to the back seat in a Lexus. That is how I know. Not boasting by any means. I am sure that there is a study somewhere where these worked, but in my case, the front bumper pushed the car down far enough that these brackets skipped over the bumper frame and through the vehicle I went.

No one in my family will drive a low riding car if I have any say so- this was a real eye opener. And the truck was 100% stock with no modifications. And no I wasn't texting and driving ... LOL.. was the result of coming over a hill at highway speeds and everyone was moving drastically slower..

OP
OP
JDA-PW2018

JDA-PW2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No one in my family will drive a low riding car if I have any say so
Old highway patrol once told me in all his years of accidents it always came down to the lug nut rule. The one with the most always wins. Power Wagon has 8, Lexus 5 maybe? Glad there were no fatalities.

bmhenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old highway patrol once told me in all his years of accidents it always came down to the lug nut rule. The one with the most always wins. Power Wagon has 8, Lexus 5 maybe? Glad there were no fatalities.
That is a very good analogy.. Got to remember that one. Has always held true from what Ive seen... especially motorcycles no lug nuts, they always lose..

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
its purpose has nothing to do with snow plow or anything like that. Its purpose is to prevent your truck from literally running over smaller vehicles. these drop brackets will hopefully collide with the other vehicle's (smaller cars) bumper frame - not just the plastic parts. This prevents the tires from running up and over the car. they are known as "compatibility brackets". Please don't spread the mis-information about snow plow prep group..
Bam learn something new everyday

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Will "underride guards" for the rear end be next?
https://www.thepress.net/news/prius...cle_5d0a0932-a39e-11e7-937b-87588cb1af16.html

Last edited: