What is this jumper on OBD for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was finiahing up wireing in my ham radio today and when I had the drivers side knee bolster panel down, I notice this jumper/intermediate cable connected to the OBD port. Anyone have a clue what it is for, or if it is normal? The truck is used, so I dont know if it is factory or not. I cant tell where thw extra lead goes yet.

Its on my 2017 Rebel 4x4 with pretty much every option available.

20190408_172549.jpg 20190408_171323.jpg

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have Amp retractable side steps by any chance???

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope. No steps currently. I was trying to trace the wires and the pig tail that comes off the jumper goes up behind the drivers left hvac vent. Kind of towards the A pillar, but then it disapears.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am curious now about the steps. I will look under the truck tomorrow and see if there is evidence of the AMP steps being installed. The original owner had a veraram instake that he removed before trading it in, so not sure what else was removed.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck wasnt part of any fleet operation. It was owned by a guy that travelled (a lot). He put 50K miles in 2 years. I am curious though if it could be like low jack or something similar?

The company listed also makes oem parts for auto manufacturers.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The truck wasnt part of any fleet operation. It was owned by a guy that travelled (a lot). He put 50K miles in 2 years. I am curious though if it could be like low jack or something similar?

The company listed also makes oem parts for auto manufacturers.
Doesn’t necessarily have to be exclusive to fleets, could be for insurance company for monitoring driving habits for discount, etc. Until you find the module at the end of the line, won’t know for sure.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I pulled the access panel on the side of the dash (agaibst the door) and can see the power leads going into the area around the hvac vent. Is there an easy way to pull the vent & light switch out? Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the 2017 dash?

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I proved to myself and my wife I'm not paranoid about a GPS tracker... It was in there! The dealership was useless about contacting previous owner, so I will see what I can do with it on my own. You would think the dealership would want to help when there is an unlawful (i.e undisclosed) GPS tracking device involved. But I guess not.

20190412_181927.jpg

20190412_181938.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I proved to myself and my wife I'm not paranoid about a GPS tracker... It was in there! The dealership was useless about contacting previous owner, so I will see what I can do with it on my own. You would think the dealership would want to help when there is an unlawful (i.e undisclosed) GPS tracking device involved. But I guess not.

View attachment 162673

View attachment 162674
Just remove it. Unless the previous owner is still paying the subscription for the service, it’s useless anyway.

OP
OP
Intense-Dakota

Intense-Dakota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Already removed. I'm really curious who installed it. If it was the dealership, or the previous owner. IIhave read sometimes the dealerships dod it. The dealership definitely was not a buy-here-pay-here type of place and my credit is anything but low.