What maintenance to do since I passed 60K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What maintenance to do since I passed 60K miles on my 2014 Ram with 5.7 hemi and 8 speed auto. I thought the tranny oil was changed much later and if I recall it's expensive to do? How about the other two below?

Ram Recommends:
—​
Transmission Fluid Replacement
—​
Front Differential Fluid Replacement
—​
Rear Differential Fluid Replacement​

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Transfer case if you have a 4WD. Don't forget your brake fluid every 2-3 years. DOT 3 is a Glycol that absorbs water. Leads to rust and spongy brakes (air entrainment, actually).

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What does your owner's manual say (that's assuming you actually read through it...)?
And post in 4th gen (this is 3rd gen lol) @MADDOG

OP
OP
jack67

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does your owner's manual say (that's assuming you actually read through it...)?
And post in 4th gen (this is 3rd gen lol) @MADDOG
Sorry about that... I must not have been paying attention as I thought I posted in 4th gen. Well, it's in there now and so are you. LOL

I don't have a manual since I didn't buy my Ram new. So I get my info online, preferably here. ;)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What maintenance to do since I passed 60K miles on my 2014 Ram with 5.7 hemi and 8 speed auto. I thought the tranny oil was changed much later and if I recall it's expensive to do? How about the other two below?

Ram Recommends:
—​
Transmission Fluid Replacement​
—​
Front Differential Fluid Replacement​
—​
ZF reconmends a transmission fluid and filter change between 50,000 and 80,000 miles or 8 years which ever comes first,so you probably should consider doing it .You're almost at their 8 year reconmendation and you're well with-in their milege reconmendations .

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8

Ram Recommends:
—​
Transmission Fluid Replacement​
—​
Front Differential Fluid Replacement​
—​
@jack67 , as has been said above, I recommend replacing fluid in front & rear differentials and transfer case. I would also do a fluid change on the transmission. It can be laborious and a little expensive, but I think it's worth keeping the 8-speed in top form since it has such a good reputation, especially if you plan to keep the truck for a long time as I do. You can find lots of DIY write-ups on this forum for the procedure. You'll need a new pan/filter (they are combined, unless you buy aftermarket pan with detachable filters which can be purchased separately).

As someone else said, consider doing a brake fluid change, and you might consider getting a brake job as well if it's warranted (my '17 is approaching 60k miles and the brakes are starting to get squeaky).

Just make sure you do all your homework when determining what fluids to use. There are lots of options, but I always opt for OEM/Mopar fluids so there's no question as to the correct type. The exception was the ZF 8-speed transmission. I bought the ZF fluid for that one.