What's it worth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm gonna sell my rig. Looks like the garage in the new house we just built is too short...I was afraid that was going to happen but there's nothing we could have done about it anyway. Thinking about getting a new Durango R/T.

I have 72k miles, truck is in great shape, always babied. Normal wear and tear on the interior and exterior, no dings or deep scratches, no rips or tears. KBB says trade in is right around 26k but I've got a ton of mods/accessories (listed in my signature). What does you guys think it's worth? I'm in MN so big 4x4's are desirable.

Any big reason not to keep something you've sunk that much money into instead of just doing like others have said and let it sit outside? Mine does. Garage would be nice but I like my truck too much to let that stop me lol.

a smidge OT and not trying to be a smart ass or trouble maker, but what is it about taller doors adds to the cost of a build? Other than the doors themselves. I've always built my own garages/work shops so maybe I don't understand how contractors/builders work. My shop I built last year has two 9 foot doors on one side and an 8 ft door on another. No added cost.

Depending on the specific situation, the builder may have blueprints already done up for a specific configuration and any change to that may require them to go back to the architect for new blueprints. But then as others have said, the cost of the taller door and higher horsepower openers to handle the weight, etc.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I would leave it in the drive way personally. But in all honesty in my area I would say 30-32 retail witch brings you in around 24-26 for trade and 27-29 private party. Like others have said Mods won't get you anything it may help you sell it private party but dealers don't care and can hurt you value because you gotta find someone that likes what you have done.

Not an option during MN winters...I could do if for this spring and summer but it'll have to be gone by Oct.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I wish you well and getting what you want for your truck. In the end, till your done swapping vehicles, paying taxes, registration, etc, i just can't imagine it's going to cost less than the change from going from a 7x16 to an 8x16 door. Even if the garage would have to be a foot higher.

My shop has 8x16 doors and my truck goes in just fine. I also have a standard bay door opener i installed.

My wife and i have been looking to build for several years, but have held off looking for the right piece of land in the right area.

To each their own, but i have to ask, if a few thousand dollars more to build a garage to handle your truck is going to break the bank, should you be building a new house in the first place?

Good luck with your decision

While I don't know the exact cost for sure, I can guarantee it wouldn't have been a couple thousand dollars. My educated guess is probably around $20k. The design would have had to go back through the CAD dept then to the engineers for approval and all the other red tape involved. This is not a cheap house or a cheap neighborhood we're talking about. The other potential downside is we were required to pay for the design work up front with the stipulation that, even if they couldn't make it work (which was an possibility) we'd still have to pay all the design and engineer time. It's just not worth it to keep the RAM.

I love how there's always one **** head on all forums that pulls the old 'if you can't afford this then you shouldn't be buying that'. Thanks for the advice Dad, but why don't you put it back in your ass where you got it from.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
While I don't know the exact cost for sure, I can guarantee it wouldn't have been a couple thousand dollars. My educated guess is probably around $20k. The design would have had to go back through the CAD dept then to the engineers for approval and all the other red tape involved. This is not a cheap house or a cheap neighborhood we're talking about. The other potential downside is we were required to pay for the design work up front with the stipulation that, even if they couldn't make it work (which was an possibility) we'd still have to pay all the design and engineer time. It's just not worth it to keep the RAM.

I love how there's always one **** head on all forums that pulls the old 'if you can't afford this then you shouldn't be buying that'. Thanks for the advice Dad, but why don't you put it back in your ass where you got it from.

Nice language. Mr. Tough guy keyboard muscles. You made the post, not I. You opened the topic up for discussion. If you don't want opinions, don't post on an internet forum. It's a legitimate question. If you have your reasons that's great. It's your life, your choice. You explained yourself well in the first part of your post. The last part with the personal shots makes you look like an immachure child. I could care less what you think or what you do. People make poor decisions everyday. Mortgage companies love them.

You can drop the profanity too. It just makes you appear uneducated. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Nice language. Mr. Tough guy keyboard muscles. You made the post, not I. You opened the topic up for discussion. If you don't want opinions, don't post on an internet forum. It's a legitimate question. If you have your reasons that's great. It's your life, your choice. You explained yourself well in the first part of your post. The last part with the personal shots makes you look like an immachure child. I could care less what you think or what you do. People make poor decisions everyday. Mortgage companies love them.

You can drop the profanity too. It just makes you appear uneducated. Good luck.

I made the post asking about the value of my truck not my life choices, maybe you should have read more closely. And look who the Mr. Tough guy keyboard muscles is now? Threatening me is a mistake ass-hole, **** YOU!

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just dig the garage floor deeper lol.

On side note. I'm glad I live down south where my truck can sit outside year round.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Depending on the specific situation, the builder may have blueprints already done up for a specific configuration and any change to that may require them to go back to the architect for new blueprints. But then as others have said, the cost of the taller door and higher horsepower openers to handle the weight, etc.

got it. I had my head fixed on a separate garage/work shop. I've always drawn my own plans and built them myself. But I guess an attached garage would require design changes that are beyond my pay grade. and those changes do add up.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thats a nice rig, and close to exactly what ill do with mine. i live in MN as well, and just let mine sit outside. i do a lot of Buffing and cleaning up when its nice though. i would buy your truck if i could sell mine!

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Yeah, my plan B has become removing the mods and selling them if I can't sell private or get a good price on trade. Luckily pretty much everything can be removed except for the tint and bed liner and maybe the flares if they wrecked the paint.

Jerks at the dealer were supposed to call with a price for me yesterday and I've heard nothing. I do have a friend of a friend who says he's very interested but you know how that goes. Anyhow, this is what I came up with:

Trade: 26k and I take everything off
Straight sale: 30k

I think I can live with those numbers

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I made the post asking about the value of my truck not my life choices, maybe you should have read more closely. And look who the Mr. Tough guy keyboard muscles is now? Threatening me is a mistake ass-hole, **** YOU!

I didn't threaten anyone. You have the attitude and you can't make a point without using profanities. They don't bother me at all so have at it. Pretty dumb to make comments like that to someone you don't know, over an internet thread? The Lord says, "Vengence is mine, i will repay. " So he can deal with you. I forgive you.

Good luck to you. I'm done with you and this thread. A lesson you should learn is never to burn any bridges. Regardless how insifigant they may seem. Things can come back to bite you later in life. Enjoy your new house. If you didn't want any comments about the house then you should not have mentioned it and simply asked what your truck was worth. You bought that to the table and i asked a question. Simple as that. I wasn't passing judgement. It was a question. Nothing more. Again, if you don't want comments, don't post a thread on a chat forum. Not everyone is going to agree with your choices. So what? It's your life.

I'll pray for you that the Lord will help you with your anger issues.

In regards to your truck, i don't think your mods will add any value. They never have for me in the past, unless you find someone who's looking for a truck with those mods. You are probably better off taking them off as you said and selling them separately. Just my .02

Last edited:

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yeah, my plan B has become removing the mods and selling them if I can't sell private or get a good price on trade. Luckily pretty much everything can be removed except for the tint and bed liner and maybe the flares if they wrecked the paint.

Jerks at the dealer were supposed to call with a price for me yesterday and I've heard nothing. I do have a friend of a friend who says he's very interested but you know how that goes. Anyhow, this is what I came up with:

Trade: 26k and I take everything off
Straight sale: 30k

I think I can live with those numbers
$30k is the very top of the retail value for your truck. A dealer would start there and go down. No one in their right mind would pay anywhere near that for that truck from a private seller. That is, unless it had a transferable lifetime warranty or something like that to really sweeten the deal. I'll be interested in seeing how this pans out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Kudos if you get near your desired price, be it trade or private sale. The way I see it, you're at a tricky price point... and competing with new vehicle sales. Now, granted... they wouldn't be as well equipped, but still... If you can work a private sale at that price point, you da man! I think most people would prefer to buy through a dealer when spending that much money... mostly for some sort of warranty. Mods can be hit or miss. If you happen to find someone who loves all the mods you've done... you got lucky. They're usually a liability to me. New vehicle sales seem to be a bit sluggish as of late, and interest rates are going up, so dealers are likely to put some serious rebate cash on the hood to move new inventory. Last July, I paid $35k for my new '16 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.4L 4x4 with 4.10s. It's nicely equipped, but not loaded... nor did I want it that way... but that deal was done start to finish in about 30 minutes. I spent more time waiting for the detail department to prep the truck. If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you peruse all of the local sales & see what similar trucks are going for... at least as far as asking price... craigslist, autotrader, ebay... all good sources for pricing info. Regardless... good luck with the sale... and enjoy the new digs!