Need opinions on buying this 2011 Laramie Mega Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuhlay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, so this will be my first cummins if I decide to get it. A 2011 Laramie Mega Cab short bed 4WD listed at only $25,000. It currently has 290,000 miles and is deleted (dont know if just EGR or both EGR and DEF) and tuned. It has a MiniMaxx tuner, which I know has gone out of business since whenever it was installed. I test drove it for about 25 minutes and had it running for almost an hour. I completely forgot to check blowby, but if I go back, I will check it. It has a spacer level in the front and is on 35x12.5r20s with aftermarket wheels. Tires look brand new. Here's what I noticed:

Beyond the massive tear in the driver seat, it has a bad shake in the steering wheel above 50mph and the wheel has to be tilted about 20 degrees to the left to go in a straight line. The tuner felt like it performed real well and puffed out a bit of smoke on the "performance" tune. However, with the miles and the delete and tuner, I am worried about the transmission. I THINK??? it felt alright? (again, couldn't really get it above 50 without feeling like I was going to lose both front wheels). Should I be looking to replace a transmission soon? I have heard both good and bad about running a tune on a 68RFE. I don’t know what the truck was used for or if it was someone's tow rig.

Here in Arizona, we have emissions standards and all diesels need to have emissions equipment in the Phoenix-Metropolitan Area and in Tucson. Federal law prohibits the sale of emissions deleted vehicles in states that require emissions equipment, which can result in a $25,000 fine and the loss of the dealerships sales license. Replacing emissions is said to be between $6k-$8k. I feel confident that I could talk the dealership into doing whatever front-end repairs need to be done AND maybe cover having a transmission rebuild done so they can finally get that truck off their hands for the price they are asking.

Is this even worth the hassle? I mean, its an almost 300,000 mile 6.7 cummins. That's what I believe many people to consider "high mileage". But $25,000 for a laramie mega cab that hasn't been sold in over 150 days, they've got to be itching to get rid of it. It is at a smaller couple-owned dealership that mostly deals in selling exotics and sports cars. It is listed for exactly what the CarFax report I pulled said, $25,995.

If I did buy it, I would register it way out of the county at my fiance's neighbor's house near Roosevelt Lake, which should make me emissions exempt. It has potential to be a really nice truck. Here's a picture of it below:laramie_megacab.jpeg

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Based on the many red flags you listed I would run from it but then its up to you, do you have the $$$$ if SHTF after you buy it as the front end needs work how much is hard to say, trans most likely will need work soon... My self never I will never buy a lifted or one that has been tuned, you can almost bet it has been run hard put away wet...

OP
OP
K

kuhlay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on the many red flags you listed I would run from it but then its up to you, do you have the $$$$ if SHTF after you buy it as the front end needs work how much is hard to say, trans most likely will need work soon... My self never I will never buy a lifted or one that has been tuned, you can almost bet it has been run hard put away wet...
I wont be buying it if the dealership doesnt handle the front end repairs before hand. It is quite literally almost undriveable with the front end shake. The trans issue is whats up in the air, but if that is handled by them too< would it be worth it? any clue on how long a stock rebuild would last if not beat up on?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I wont be buying it if the dealership doesnt handle the front end repairs before hand. It is quite literally almost undriveable with the front end shake. The trans issue is whats up in the air, but if that is handled by them too< would it be worth it? any clue on how long a stock rebuild would last if not beat up on?
As for trans rebuild it would all depend on parts used and who rebuilt it, I have doubts the dealer will spend 4K or more to have it rebuilt properly along with a new converter...

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
25k for that list of problems seems kind of high. It is nice looking though. I'd be really surprised if the dealer did anything to fix the issues you mention when he can just wait and do nothing. There could be something really wrong on the front end like a cracked something or shafts and bearings.

I gave 10.5k for my 05 with 273K miles. It came with a tuner, a rebuilt and upgraded trans, newer turbo, 5 inch exhaust, NO front end problems and was well loved by both its previous owners who were friends and the guy I got it from was a cop. The only real problems were the factory radio and the wiring to the rear doors, both of which were well known problems and simple fixes which this board helped me with.

Offer him 19-20 and use the savings to put a new tranny in and have the front end rebuilt. If he doesn't go for it walk away and be happy you dodged the bullet. You'll probably have to sign some kind of "off road only" waiver to make all of the truck's legal problems yours and not the dealerships. Charge em for that too.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Lots of people are looking for a good older truck they can afford and want to fix it up. I think you are being seduced by the nice appearance of this truck. It has issues and high mileage. Plus it has been modified a lot. Find a nice unmolested older truck.