Wheel Hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazy Willy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure what steps to take,
Installed 6" Rough Country lift on my 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7 Hemi, Installed K&N cold air induction. The truck is an animal, but ! at take off I'm getting wheel hop really bad. On the highway 35-40 punch it out no issues only from a dead stop or on a roll. One mech said its the off road tires, there to aggressive.
Is there anything I can do ? traction bars ?
I'm an ex drag racer from the 70's , we use to install ladder bars or traction bars on our cars for this kind of problem.
Also, would love to install locking hubs in the front & let the axles run free, but can't find a kit.
Thanks

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traction bars-
Since you already have rough country, Call them and see if they have
1) a solution
2) traction bars that will work “ I don’t see any for the 1/2 tons on their site”

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unless someone changed the rear suspension, your truck should have a link and coil rear suspension. Traction/ladder bars only help with wheel hop/axle wrap when installed on leaf spring suspension.

I’d suggest checking all of the bushing on the rear links, and the condition of the rear shocks.

I am not aware of anyone that makes a hub kit for the 1500’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the 6” RC kits come with new control arms but they don’t use any drop brackets to keep the arms angles like OEM

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Not sure what steps to take,
Installed 6" Rough Country lift on my 2012 Ram 1500 crew cab 5.7 Hemi, Installed K&N cold air induction. The truck is an animal, but ! at take off I'm getting wheel hop really bad. On the highway 35-40 punch it out no issues only from a dead stop or on a roll. One mech said its the off road tires, there to aggressive.
Is there anything I can do ? traction bars ?
I'm an ex drag racer from the 70's , we use to install ladder bars or traction bars on our cars for this kind of problem.
Also, would love to install locking hubs in the front & let the axles run free, but can't find a kit.
Thanks

Try the Core 4x4 arms. Had a similar issue with my '14 and after months of troubleshooting tires and rims I found the bolt holes were elliptical rather then round on the factory arms. That extra slop would cause the hop and also wore out the rubber bushings. Lifting 4" also change the pinion angle adding further to the issue. Added the Core arms with the adjustable links on one end (Tier three) and after they were adjusted to less that .5 degrees off on the pinion angle I have no more hop. Expensive fix but would buy again to solve the issue.
Your mileage may vary but it sure helped me!

https://www.core4x4.com/product-cat...ram-1500/tier-three-dodge-ram-1500-1994-2008/

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Guess your truck will just last longer since you will be forced to drive normal... bahhaha. Tried adding 500 pounds of sand to stop the rear hop lol?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless someone changed the rear suspension, your truck should have a link and coil rear suspension. Traction/ladder bars only help with wheel hop/axle wrap when installed on leaf spring suspension.

I’d suggest checking all of the bushing on the rear links, and the condition of the rear shocks.

I am not aware of anyone that makes a hub kit for the 1500’s.

Are you saying that spring suspension rear ends cant have wheel hop? Cause if that’s true, then I have been Mis informing people with 3/4-1ton crew cabs that have the rear axle shock to frame for wheel hop.

dstryr

The one and only
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You absolutely can have wheel hop with a coil spring rear suspension. Curing it could take stiffer control arms, stiffer bushings, or maybe air bags. Maybe the racers on moparts dot com or dodgecharger dot com might be able to offer some suggestions. While I've been around the sport for 30+ years I don't race.. so can't offer any more than that.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with installing Core 4x4 lower control arms. I had terrible wheel hop from a stand still at full throttle and installed the Core lower control arms and now I have virtually no wheel hop at all. I am planning on also adding the upper control arms. The difference in the stock arms and the Core is huge. The Core's are about 20+lbs each.
Jay

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you saying that spring suspension rear ends cant have wheel hop? Cause if that’s true, then I have been Mis informing people with 3/4-1ton crew cabs that have the rear axle shock to frame for wheel hop.

Not what I was saying at all. Simply pointing out that adding ladder or anti warp bars isn’t the correct fix for wheel hop on a link and coil suspension.

As was already mentioned, stiffer bushings and/or arms, better arm geometry, different shocks, etc. are needed to fix wheel hop with links and coils. It’s a totally different animal when compared to a leaf spring suspension.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree with installing Core 4x4 lower control arms. I had terrible wheel hop from a stand still at full throttle and installed the Core lower control arms and now I have virtually no wheel hop at all. I am planning on also adding the upper control arms. The difference in the stock arms and the Core is huge. The Core's are about 20+lbs each.
Jay
Which tier did you go with? Thinking about doing the same as you and just starting with the lowers and maybe adding the uppers later.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As I remember they are 4's
Jay

Latest posts

Forum statistics