wheel offset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Im shopping around for new wheels, and i have NO idea what offset is.
so, what offset will be good on my truck and not stick out?
(its a 4wd)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Give us more info about your truck. Stock height? Lifted? Lowered? What size tires will you be running? All of this will help determine the correct backspacing for you to look for.

OP
OP
night hawk

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
my wheels right now are 20/8.5 and the tires will be 285/50/20 (same as now)
id like my tires to not stick out at all.
pretty much stock height besides two inch drop shackle and no overload spring.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
OK, you want to look for a wheel in the +20 to +25mm range. What style are you looking for? Simple 5 spoke, or do you like some flare in the wheels. Black, chrome, polished?

OP
OP
night hawk

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
i like the classic five spoke look like thebad1's truck if you have seen it. chrome, or polished. i really want them to be 20's. no bigger for sure lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
STYLE 335 - - BOSS Wheels

This is my favorite simple 5 spoke wheel for our trucks, but I just spoke with Boss today, and it looks like they are discontinuing them. Boss has a few similar style wheels to check out though. Most of their 20" wheels have the offset you need to keep your tires in the fenders.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes they will. I would call that seller before ordering though to make sure they are in stock. I am direct with Boss, and they dont have any of this wheel in chrome at any of their warehouses right now. I didnt check on the black though.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OK, you want to look for a wheel in the +20 to +25mm range. What style are you looking for? Simple 5 spoke, or do you like some flare in the wheels. Black, chrome, polished?

Depending on the width. a 10" wide wheel with an offset of +20 will fit differently then a 8.5" wide wheel wth a offset of +20.

night hawk - Wheel offset is how far the mounting surface (that mounts to the hub) is offset from the center of the wheel. Negative offset means the mounting surface is closer to the innner wheel lip (pushes the wheel out of the fender more, the lower the offset). Possitive offset means that the mounting surface is offset from the center of the wheel towards the outer rim lip (sucking the wheel into the fender).
A 10" wide wheel with no (or -0- zero) offset would mean that the mounting surface is centered between the inner and outer wheel lips. Essentially if you measure from the wheel lip in to the mounting surface there will be 5" of distance.
Same wheel, but with a - 25mm offset means that the mounting surface is "offset" 25mm from the center towards the innner wheel lip.
Hope that makes some sense.

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
^^ solid description. I've been trying to learn about this and backspacing and what not.This makes sense about offset

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Depending on the width. a 10" wide wheel with an offset of +20 will fit differently then a 8.5" wide wheel wth a offset of +20.

night hawk - Wheel offset is how far the mounting surface (that mounts to the hub) is offset from the center of the wheel. Negative offset means the mounting surface is closer to the innner wheel lip (pushes the wheel out of the fender more, the lower the offset). Possitive offset means that the mounting surface is offset from the center of the wheel towards the outer rim lip (sucking the wheel into the fender).
A 10" wide wheel with no (or -0- zero) offset would mean that the mounting surface is centered between the inner and outer wheel lips. Essentially if you measure from the wheel lip in to the mounting surface there will be 5" of distance.
Same wheel, but with a - 25mm offset means that the mounting surface is "offset" 25mm from the center towards the innner wheel lip.
Great description. Most of the aftermarket 20" wheels for these trucks are either 8.5"-9" wide with high offsets and higher backspacing, or 10" wide with low offsets and lower backspacing. You explained exactly how it works, and I was just keeping it simple based on what I know is available in the 5x5.5 bolt pattern for our trucks.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you get a 20x9 wheel you would want a +18mm offset. I say that in case the wheel you find is not 20x8.5

OP
OP
night hawk

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

that makes perfect sense! thanks!

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've just recently learned about offset and backspacing too. Going to buy my first set of aftermarkets soon.

(popped this over to exterior)