Wheel to Wheel steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the factory side steps and there are three mounting brackets and the step is very stable even out near the rear tire.

Red

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
That must be somethin’ new on the 5th gens then because the 4th gens use three mounting brackets per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It isn't a 5th gen issue. The truck has three mounting points. There are only two mounts on the tubes. For what it's worth, it's the middle mount on the truck that goes unused. I think they might not have felt quite so spongy if they had moved the rear mount back a bit. Strange.
Screenshot_20210119-044155_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It isn't a 5th gen issue. The truck has three mounting points. There are only two mounts on the tubes. For what it's worth, it's the middle mount on the truck that goes unused. I think they might not have felt quite so spongy if they had moved the rear mount back a bit. Strange.
View attachment 234459

It’s still a 5th Gen issue if that’s how the boards are made, then. That doesn’t make any sense that they took the time to make three mounting points on the bottom of the cab but only use two......

Even my factory boards were just like my new aftermarket ones- the bottom of the boards was two long rails that ran the entire length of the board which meant there was no particular mounting point.

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It’s still a 5th Gen issue if that’s how the boards are made, then. That doesn’t make any sense that they took the time to make three mounting points on the bottom of the cab but only use two......

Even my factory boards were just like my new aftermarket ones- the bottom of the boards was two long rails that ran the entire length of the board which meant there was no particular mounting point.

I see your point, but my comment about the two point mounts not being a 5th Gen issue was based on the fact that the OEM WTW tubes on my 2018 only had two mounting points as well. I didn't get the spongy feeling in the rear with those. I admit, the rear tube mounts were a bit further back though. So, I guess that makes the spongy feeling in the rear a 5th Gen specific issue? 2018 version below.Screenshot_20210122-065709_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see your point, but my comment about the two point mounts not being a 5th Gen issue was based on the fact that the OEM WTW tubes on my 2018 only had two mounting points as well. I didn't get the spongy feeling in the rear with those. I admit, the rear tube mounts were a bit further back though. So, I guess that makes the spongy feeling in the rear a 5th Gen specific issue? 2018 version below.View attachment 234799

It probably doesn’t matter but that screenshot; does it apply to a 2018 ram 1500 or a 2018 ram heavy duty? Like I said, type of truck probably doesn’t matter in this case because the only explanation I have is maybe they skimped on your middle two brackets or mine is the only truck that came with the fat man package with cab length running boards that had three brackets on each side of the truck. I can’t believe that diagram that you posted only shows two if that’s for a 2018 anything.

But I’m curious; on your 2018 truck whatever it was, on the very absolute bottom of the pinch weld on the bottom of your cab- did it have three sets of two horizontal holes beginning with the front set being right behind the front tires, straight down from the side view mirror, the middle set being pretty much straight down from the B pillar and the third rear set pretty much straight down from the outside door handles on the rear doors?

At this point I don’t know what happened with your 2018 truck because even though I have no idea about the new fifth GENs, the fourth GENs should have three brackets regardless if they’re the cab-length runningboards or the full wheel to wheel chrome ones with the exception of probably the standard cabs. Those probably only have two brackets but I do know that even the fourth GEN quad cabs, or at least some of them still had room for three brackets. I don’t know if the quad cabs that came from the factory with runningboards, if they used all three of those mounting locations to put a bracket on or not but I know they had three because when I sold my original painted cab-length runningboards to somebody, they had three places on each side of the bottom of their cab to use the same six brackets that I just took off of my truck and mines a crew cab.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2012 has OEM steps with 3 brackets .... My N-Fabs had 3 as well

GunnyJC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It probably doesn’t matter but that screenshot; does it apply to a 2018 ram 1500 or a 2018 ram heavy duty? Like I said, type of truck probably doesn’t matter in this case because the only explanation I have is maybe they skimped on your middle two brackets or mine is the only truck that came with the fat man package with cab length running boards that had three brackets on each side of the truck. I can’t believe that diagram that you posted only shows two if that’s for a 2018 anything.

But I’m curious; on your 2018 truck whatever it was, on the very absolute bottom of the pinch weld on the bottom of your cab- did it have three sets of two horizontal holes beginning with the front set being right behind the front tires, straight down from the side view mirror, the middle set being pretty much straight down from the B pillar and the third rear set pretty much straight down from the outside door handles on the rear doors?

At this point I don’t know what happened with your 2018 truck because even though I have no idea about the new fifth GENs, the fourth GENs should have three brackets regardless if they’re the cab-length runningboards or the full wheel to wheel chrome ones with the exception of probably the standard cabs. Those probably only have two brackets but I do know that even the fourth GEN quad cabs, or at least some of them still had room for three brackets. I don’t know if the quad cabs that came from the factory with runningboards, if they used all three of those mounting locations to put a bracket on or not but I know they had three because when I sold my original painted cab-length runningboards to somebody, they had three places on each side of the bottom of their cab to use the same six brackets that I just took off of my truck and mines a crew cab.

You got me thinking about it and I was able to find a picture of my 2018 1500 Laramie Crew Cab and, apparently, my memory isn't worth a rat's tail. It did make use of three mounts. I'm sorry to have misled or confused anyone. I was right about the rear mount appearing to be further back though. Probably why it didn't feel spongy when I was drying rear window. Also, the front mount was further forward and the middle mount was straight down from the B pillar, as you mentioned. But, I'm absolutely positive that my 2021 only uses two. Yeah, I went outside and double checked. I feel like a real knob now. That explains why they didn't feel spongy. I guess that's why they say memory is the second thing to go with age.

Last edited:

DJ Maresco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just put the factory wheel to wheel boards on since I couldn't find the iboard set up for my 2021.

IMG_20210403_123252~2.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 4th gen Rams, beginning with 2009 have 3 places to fasten the side steps to

Front
img0548eq.jpg
middle, i left one bolt off, because the threads were stripped in one of the holes
img0547fi.jpg

rear
img0546c.jpg

all 3 are on the cab, they don't attach any to the bed, because the bed flexes at a different rate than the cab