where did you get your gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
like the title says im thinking of getting 4.88 gears and wondering what brand and where you got them from?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I am using Revolution Gear and Axle 4.88s gears and got them from the shop who installed them ...

I was going to go with Yukon but saw several other trucks with Yukons and they had wine in them regardless of how good they were set ...

The shop recommended the Revolution gears over the Yukon plus it is a local company to us here in Souther California as well so I am sure he also gets a bulk discount on them ....

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine are Yukon gears 4.88. The guy who installed them has had great luck with Yukon. I have had no noise at all with them and the difference is amazing. But then again, getting a good install with gears is the most important.

I almost went 5.13 and was going to do AAM if I did since they are the OEM manufacturer. But I have no problems. He did say say there are some Yukons that do not have the black coating and they seem to be rougher cut and do cause some noise. He insisted on getting the ones that were coated. He ordered all parts for me but I have the Boxes if you need part numbers.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anything but Nitro gears would be my suggestion.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Yukon 4:88’s. They whine a bit.

They were checked after 500 miles and the installer said they looked fine.

I called Yukon about the whine and they said it’s not abnormal with that gear ratio.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

I called Yukon about the whine and they said it’s not abnormal with that gear ratio.

When I saw how many people all over the internet complained about whine with Yukons and there was no solution for some I went with Revolution .... and they are actually the same company Nitro Gears just like Toyo and Nitto are the same ...

There is absolutely no whine with the 4.88s from Revolution on my truck ... fawken love them!!

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I saw how many people all over the internet complained about whine with Yukons and there was no solution for some I went with Revolution .... and they are actually the same company Nitro Gears just like Toyo and Nitto are the same ...

There is absolutely no whine with the 4.88s from Revolution on my truck ... fawken love them!!

I did not want to use a small name gear manufacturer since I pull allot of weight.

I would rather have a name brand and some whine than be stuck on the side of the road in BFE trying to figure out how I’m going to get truck trailer and family home.

Not to say Nitro or Revolution have issues. But I have never heard of them until I started shopping around. The cheap price scarred me away even further.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I had just a bit, very, very minimal at the beginning. Mostly when coasting. After 500 miles he inspected and changed the oil. Since, I have had no noise at all and I tow a 14k lb 5th wheel as well.

The only issue I had was it magnified the limited slip and would cause chatter. I added a tube of friction modifier and it completely went away. I don't regret my 4.88s at all.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had just a bit, very, very minimal at the beginning. Mostly when coasting. After 500 miles he inspected and changed the oil. Since, I have had no noise at all and I tow a 14k lb 5th wheel as well.

The only issue I had was it magnified the limited slip and would cause chatter. I added a tube of friction modifier and it completely went away. I don't regret my 4.88s at all.

My whine has gotten better. I still only have like 4K miles on them.
I don’t regret my 4:88’s either.

Truck is a 2018 and I have less than 15k miles on it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
most of your aftermarket companies probly get the gears from the same place in korea or china. aam will be from usa or mexico

OP
OP

2018_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is anybody from southeast Minnesota that knows a good shop to get the gears swapped?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I did not want to use a small name gear manufacturer since I pull allot of weight.

I would rather have a name brand and some whine than be stuck on the side of the road in BFE trying to figure out how I’m going to get truck trailer and family home.

Not to say Nitro or Revolution have issues. But I have never heard of them until I started shopping around. The cheap price scarred me away even further.
Revolution gears have been out since 2012 with the brand name but been around for about 20 years now and is owned by a Vet .... Yukon gears since 2009 and their gears are made im korea ....

I don't see how Revolution and Nitro gears would be considered non name brands ... Nitro gears are made in Washington as well

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nitro gears arent made in washington. maybe their phones are there but thats about it. yukon, nitro and most others are made in one of the asian countries. korea, some maybe even china. aam as i said before is usa and mexico, they can be from either place

irnwkrkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
C&M gearworks has great prices for AAM. Don't know of they go up to 4.88 though.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
RANDYS Worldwide Automotive, the parent company of Yukon Gear & Axle

Who knows where they get the gears made

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Revolution gears have been out since 2012 with the brand name but been around for about 20 years now and is owned by a Vet .... Yukon gears since 2009 and their gears are made im korea ....

I don't see how Revolution and Nitro gears would be considered non name brands ... Nitro gears are made in Washington as well

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
I never heard of them until I joined this site. So their marketing team isn’t so good I guess.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I
If your going to do the install yourself that’s a good idea.
But if you are a shop and a customer brings in his own parts that don’t always go very well.

Kinda like taking your own eggs to Denny’s for them to cook.
Ive called several shops to get my gears I purchased installed. All are fine with it. This biggest hurdle right now is everybody is booked solid for months around here.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I

Ive called several shops to get my gears I purchased installed. All are fine with it. This biggest hurdle right now is everybody is booked solid for months around here.
The labor charge usually goes up because they make money on the parts as well.