Where is the 5th Gen Regular Cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terrible Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemiroid
Looked at the build and price menu today, no single/regular cab option on the 5th gen trucks. Did a bit of research and it looks like all manufacturers are about to do away with them.

Carbon footprint and fuel economy figures are judged based on the size of the truck's overall footprint. Single cabs get very poor ratings based on this scale and drag down the company's overall ratings.

I believe Chevrolet is ditching the 2-door short bed as well on their new trucks. They will only be offering the 7ft long bed.

Looks like these trucks are about to be extremely rare.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't know you could build and price a 2019 yet???

You can, they must of just added it in the last couple of days.... sucks if they aren't going to produce regular cabs anymore. That's the only style that I really like, don't need all the extra doors.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not looking very good. No single cabs and no more Express trim level. Have to buy a Bighorn in order to get color matched bumper and grills.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not looking very good. No single cabs and no more Express trim level. Have to buy a Bighorn in order to get color matched bumper and grills.

Yeah, and only certain models get the 12" radio, everyone else gets the 8.4".

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see it looks like you can choose between the 3:21, 3:55, and 3:92 gears on the 8 speed Hemi.... should make folks happy.
Also see the Anti spin diff and E locker are both options. Wonder about those choices... the E locker good for off road only and the anti spin more for the on road crowd??? Or is the E locker a good choice over the anti spin for the on pavement sport truck performance crowd too???
I do think on the sport hood, while nice looking, it looks more aggressive on the current models
That's just me.
I do notice looking at the site, other than the sheetmetal changes and such, looking at options and packages it's still a very similarly buildable truck as the '18 and pre model.
They did change the size of the 2 gas tank choices, both shrunk. Still wonder with the subtle changes if the oil filter is as awkward still or if it was addressed??

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not the worst looking truck, but certainly not as aggressive as the GEN4 was when it first came out.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don’t think they sell too many. I would surprised if they made one.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Boy the racing guys are gonna be pissed. Just about everyone on NADodge has single cabs

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep no express option wtf, so looks like your forced to pony up for a big horn if u want the factory color matched bumpers and all the add on bs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
This is ********.

Hope someone in power fixes this...

Sent from my magic 5-inch

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn’t figure they would have an express. Prob will wait a few years and when model gets older reintroduce the express. It’s a way to get people into the painted look much cheaper. So it sells well

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt it. I see quite a few commercial Tradesman's around here used by local businesses, schools .....and, of course, tradesmen (electricians/plumbers/roofers, etc). Fords and GM's too. I think that's a pretty decent sized market. I'd be surprised if they let that business go to Ford or GM. They'll need to make the tooling for single cab 2500s/3500's.

It might be that they're still putting the bigger market stuff up and figure they can do commercial trucks last given that there's probably a 'known' and steady market for trucks like those. I guess we'll see...

Last edited:

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
If they're not gonna make a short wheelbase truck anymore, the least they could do for us is make a mid wheelbase truck. Bring back an extended cab [half size rear door instead of 3/4 like the quad] and offer a ~130" wheelbase truck with two configurations.

Extended cab regular bed[6'4"] and quad cab baby bed[5'7"]. And hell, maybe another bed length and a single cab. 7' even would fit with that, and it'd be just enough shorter than a QCRB to not look goofy and long when lowered.

Not perfect, but a good enough compromise.

Then again. Stupid is stupid, and decided is decided. They never even cared to R&D this, so they won't do it now. We're going to be forevermore stuck with 140"+ wheelbase full-size trucks.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I’m sure it’s not 100% complete yet. Gotta ask yourself how many Express models do you see out and about and on this site I seen them all the time guys like me for example just don’t want or need all the bells and whistles that the higher trim provide and just need the barebones Hemi..v8..4wd.. colormatched bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Quick google searched brought up an article that the factory that makes the single cabs (in Mexico it think?) is getting re-designed right now. I think it’s the same factory they make the hd trucks as well. It seemed they might have them in a year or so after the factory gets switched over for the new generation trucks. Maybe

Jeeptriad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-Torque
there is a plan for one, it's just gonna take some time as they shuffle around the factories, for now the only option, just like the HD models, is to buy a Classic Ram (4th gen) as they are going to start calling them : Where is the 2019 Ram regular cab? (Editorial) - 5th Gen Rams (at http://**************/2019-ram-regular-cab/ )

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In 4th Gen trucks, there is a good 12" of space behind the Regular Cab seat/s even though you might not notice it from the outside. That's a lot more storage space than trucks had many years ago. You can even get back-of-the-cab racking system to go multi-tiered. For a lot of guys who don't haul people, it's enough storage space, and allows for either more storage space (long box), or hauling/towing capacity. That's in a regular cab truck. So, they may not need the extended cab. For guys in the trades who have tool boxes, the extra storage space afforded by the long wheel base platform is important (more than people space).