Where to find auxiliary switches to replace blanks in dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phantom4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
vtron/ DCRAM, I think my '13 is the same set up as both of yours, it came with just the two switches(tow/haul and TCS), the blank all the way to the left is a larger blank for the trailer brake control switch which can be repl, but it is not what you are looking for. There should be two more blanks(from memory as I type this) that are removable that are for the heated seat switches, you could probably get the switches from the dealer or maybe a wrecked truck and use them for what you want to control, the only thing is that they will have the heated seat diagram on the face (which you could some how cover or remove and place a diagram of you own).

DCRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks phantom! That's exactly the type of mod I can pull off, and I hadn't thought to look at the trailer brake control as a separate component. I really need to bite the bullet and crack it open.

OP
OP
V

vtron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I opened up the dash this afternoon and the news isn't very good. Each push button is has a piece of plastic that pushes down a switch on a rubber membrane. The membrane shorts two contacts on a PCB. Each of the contacts goes to a little MCU, which interprets the button presses and feeds it through a 3 wire interface to the computer. There are a few problems with using one of the blank button locations for a user function:
  • There's no plastic plunger behind the blank switch. You would need to find a button off of another truck or accessory panel to replace the blank button.
  • The buttons are all momentary. To use them to control external devices, the state would need to persist when pressed. This persistence on the other buttons comes from either the onboard MCU or the computer.
  • The state LED is controlled by the MCU.

In order do add a simple on/off switch to the existing panel you'd need to tap off the LED and button signals (along with power and ground) from the control panel PCB and run them to a flipflop. The output of the flipflop would feed the LED and the on/off switch of the device. If you're lucky, the device on/off runs on the same signal levels as the LED. Otherwise, you'd need to drive a relay with the flipflop.

Obviously, this is pretty greatly simplified. Depending on the signal levels, of the button and LED, you may also need some level shifters or drivers. All in all, not a beginner project. I know what I'm doing and I'll probably look for someplace else to mount my aux switches.

SafetyMan43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically for the switches to work the way we would like them to work, you would have to find where the heated seats get their final power, hook your AUX item to that source, then go to the stealer and have them flash your ECM/BCM to tell the computer that when that button is depressed, it needs to send power to that item.

My truck had to be flashed to tell it the brake controller was added.

CanBUS systems are nice... more reliable...

But DAMN I miss laying under the dash and adding fuse panels to power my crap

:Big Laugh:...

bisontrkr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as I know those switches are part of a circuit board, so in order to add new switches you would need to get a new circuit board with the switch positions you want all active. Probably pretty expensive. I have a 14 SXT. it doesn't have any overhead lights or compartments in the center above the windshield so I put six boat switches into that location(although to date I only use 3). ran the wiring under the head liner over to the A pillar and then down

Mountaindog62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have a 2017 ecodiesel just added oem trailer brakes in the dash switch panel. The dummies just pop out you have to take the console and then then the face around the touch screen off. It's not difficult. YouTube has great videos . Then the dummies pop out. I want to put more switches in too and will probably just buy stock if I can't find others and black out the seat or steering wheel on it

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe you may find what you're looking for with this guy who has a presence on Facebook. Check the pic of a 5 AUX Button (using the blank spaces) powered setup that integrates to factory. As close to plug and play as you can get for powered AUX switches.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4th+gen+ram+electronics&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS706US706&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GyNx81vtvCSMGM%3A%2C_5FwyYRg0JHaqM%2C_&usg=__ztjOP7ztzonbWYFa6CWm5MiUTkQ=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFntPsiZvcAhWmneAKHad7CCoQ9QEIVzAN#imgrc=rFMGKgqkrOYNOM:

I'm gonna get a kit before end of the year on my '18.

(Mods, if I have inadvertently advertised for this guy, please remove. Just trying to show solutions, not push a new vendor.)

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe you may find what you're looking for with this guy who has a presence on Facebook. Check the pic of a 5 AUX Button (using the blank spaces) powered setup that integrates to factory. As close to plug and play as you can get for powered AUX switches.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4th+gen+ram+electronics&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS706US706&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=GyNx81vtvCSMGM%3A%2C_5FwyYRg0JHaqM%2C_&usg=__ztjOP7ztzonbWYFa6CWm5MiUTkQ=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFntPsiZvcAhWmneAKHad7CCoQ9QEIVzAN#imgrc=rFMGKgqkrOYNOM:

(Mods, if I have inadvertently advertised for this guy, please remove. Just trying to show solutions, not push a new vendor.)

I have that setup in my 17 now, controlling grill and tow hook flush mount pods...Love it lots

20180604_142026.jpg

muhfreedumz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I think he was in the process of moving this month. Once he settles in he said he'd resume taking orders. I'll be ordering his kit for my '18 as well. I hope he can find a panel that is just the tow haul/traction control plus the 5 aux switchs without the extra labeld parksense buttons etc.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think he was in the process of moving this month. Once he settles in he said he'd resume taking orders. I'll be ordering his kit for my '18 as well. I hope he can find a panel that is just the tow haul/traction control plus the 5 aux switchs without the extra labeld parksense buttons etc.

He should be able to get what you need. He has a place he orders them from that he matches the factory switches that is in your truck

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I talked to him about one with just the haul/tow, traction control, and the aux switches. He said they have been having trouble with that combo of switches. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of switches.

RHudak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone been able to replace the 3 garage door buttons to be used as factory styled aux switches/buttons?

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone been able to replace the 3 garage door buttons to be used as factory styled aux switches/buttons?

Not replaced but I purchased a 4 chanel remote relay and syncd the homelink to it. 1 homelink for our gate, 2nd homelink for tow hook led pods and 3rd homelink for pods behind grill

Screenshot_20180922-110421_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmmm. Can you link info?

Wont let me link from amazon. Type in pilot performance pl-sw29. I had Each of the 4 switch legs from pilot controller energizing a relay controlling seperate lights.