Whine & Nock Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexmoore612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have been hearing a whine in the engine bay followed up a knock. Took it to the dealer and they had me replace the idler pulley and alternator. Got home today from the getting it serviced and the noise is still there... Truck only has 50k miles on it. Hate that I just paid for idler pulley and alternator, when it doesnt seem like i needed to swap them.

Video link with noise here:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexmoore612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They changed the idler pulley, isn't that on the belt tensioner?

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think so. Both on the hemi I believe. Either way I’d be pissed they didn’t even get close to fixing it spending that kind of money. Dealer isn’t a cheap mechanic that’s for sure.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds a bit similar to a problem I had eons ago with my a/c condenser. It would try to engage, then knock when the bearing assembly on the pulley disengaged. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

alexmoore612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks guys. I got in touch with FCA customer service on it.. we will see if they can do anything to help

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have been hearing a whine in the engine bay followed up a knock. Took it to the dealer and they had me replace the idler pulley and alternator. Got home today from the getting it serviced and the noise is still there... Truck only has 50k miles on it. Hate that I just paid for idler pulley and alternator, when it doesnt seem like i needed to swap them.

Video link with noise here:
Hi @alexmoore612, I'm extremely sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing lately. However, it sounds like you've taken the right steps & have been working with your local Ram dealer. Our team would be happy to offer additional support by escalating a case on your behalf, feel free to send us a private message with your VIN!

Kathryn
Ram Cares

OP
OP
A

alexmoore612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Turned out to be the air dam mechanism that moves up and down depending on speed. Another dealer figured it out in a few minutes. Working to get my funds back from unnecessary replacement of the idler pulley and alternator. I feel like I got conned.

OP
OP
A

alexmoore612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
FYI after much back and forth the original dealer ended up refunding me for the idler pulley and alternator. Took some effort, but got it resolved. The noise is an easy fix just had to adjust the black part of the bumper.