Whining noise when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patrikr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only had my truck for two months and everything's good so far but I have a question around something that I've noticed now that it's getting a little colder (for being California at least). When I start up the truck and it's cold there is what sounds like a whining noise that increases/decreases with engine speed. As soon as the oil warms to about 95-100F it goes away. Is this normal behavior from the Hemi?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would ask the dealer too look at it and get a receipt. Actually make sure you get a receipt and have them officially look at it. I say that for lemon law purposes to protect you. If there is a problem later I will explain why I had you do that. It probably is nothing but I don't have any whine in mine. My last truck had a horrible whine, but it was normal for that truck and ended up being the fuel pump. Whines are usually pump related, but possible timing belt issues as well. however, like i just said sometimes perfectly normal.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine used to do that, now it seems to have gone away. What transmission do you have?

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine has a whine like that. I am pretty sure the noise is coming from the alternator, but I am not positive...

OP
OP
P

patrikr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys. I have the 8-speed. Will ask the dealer next time I have a reason to go by there.

cspaid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
Any news? Mine does it when its cold for about 30 seconds. Its embarrassing.