Whistle while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Between 1800-2500rpm at 1/3 or less throttle, i get a nasty whistle noise. I have an aftermarket cai.

I recently took off the throttle body spacer i had, tossed it in the garbage, bought shorter bolts and snugged up the throttle body (torqued to spec) However it still sounds like i have the exact same whistle even though i took the spacer out.

Today i noticed a vacuum line conmecting to the intake had a crack, which i replaced, but still the same whistle.

In neutral/park there is no problem. Only drive and reverse.

I thought maybe it could be a bad bearing on a pulley run by the belt? But im all ears for suggestions. This has caused some severe road rage.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Check the other vacum line...

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
There"s two vacuum lines on the drivers side of the intakes manifold, one goes to the vacuum booster the smaller hose goes to the purge valve. Both are easy to knock off or split.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thats a crankcase vent line, not vacuum. Many folks plug the end on the intake tube and put a small filter on the other end.

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There"s two vacuum lines on the drivers side of the intakes manifold, one goes to the vacuum booster the smaller hose goes to the purge valve. Both are easy to knock off or split.

The one in the far far back ledt of the pic?

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well dont i feel dumb haha.

Ok. I will check out both hoses for leaks.

And i guess find a small filter instead of a vent line

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The smaller of the two (purge valve) has some hard plastic sections and become brittle. Might check it by pulling it loose and capping the source so it can't whistle.

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Felt the line up amd down amd didnt feel anything loose. Ill have to disconnect it tomorrow when i have more light and see if i still have the whistle. Thanks for the help.

Got any other ideas just incase?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does the noise change with engine speed or just vehicle speed? Could you have a leak in the throttle body gasket? Did you replace the gasket when you took the spacer out or put it in? Is your idle rough or smooth? If it's smooth it's probably not a vacuum leak as that usually causes the tachometer needle to fluctuate where a normal idle you will barely see the needle move.

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the noise change with engine speed or just vehicle speed? Could you have a leak in the throttle body gasket? Did you replace the gasket when you took the spacer out or put it in? Is your idle rough or smooth? If it's smooth it's probably not a vacuum leak as that usually causes the tachometer needle to fluctuate where a normal idle you will barely see the needle move.

Smooth idle. I did replace the gasket. I put some air tight sealant. Then the gasket. Then sealant. Then my air intake.

Engine speed seems to be what is causing the issue. However it only whistles in drive.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Only because I want to make 100% sure that I understand what you just said and what you said to begin with, it only happens in Drive or Reverse between 1300-2500 RPM? Do you have to be moving or is this just revving the engine a little bit? If you have to be moving then it's time to look somewhere other than the engine. With the idle being smooth and not high, I doubt it's a vacuum leak unless it's in a super small hose somewhere that doesn't need much vacuum if it is a vacuum leak.

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep. Drive or reverse 1800-2500 when throttle is pushed in about 1/3. And more and the noise goes away

OldMaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi magnum
Hi,
I only read the post very quick, so i might have missed some info. but can it be a faulty wheel bearing?

OP
OP
B

BrandonD29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
I only read the post very quick, so i might have missed some info. but can it be a faulty wheel bearing?
I dont think so, becusse it only happens between certian rpm ranges. It starts and stops depending on how much i press the gas pedal. Not the speed im going

Stevieh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever get anywhere with this? Have the exact same issue I’ve been trying to track down for months now.