Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
08 4.7L 1500 E85 V8
Made a 1 hour trip on a bumpy highway. Speeds from 60 to 70. Got off at exit ramp. Made turn. As I accelerated I got a huge cloud of white smoke come out of the tail pipe. The engine stuttered was hard to get to speed. Then drove as normal. Now when I start the truck I get a small puff of white smoke each time. Took it to a mechanic. Looked at it. Said couldn't find anything wrong. Drives fine. All dodges make a puff of white smoke when they start. Totally didn't care about the big cloud of smoke. It never made a puff of smoke on start up until the big one happened. Short trips all seems fine. I have yet to take that hour trip down that bumpy highway yet. Please. Any help would be great. Don't have any codes or engine light. Coolant level is still the same. Please any ideas.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
White cloudy smoke is usually coolant leaking into the block. Maybe not enough yet to show up that much on coolant levels.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If it were a diesel it would be your fuel filter. But it's not, so have you checked your oil for condensation? And you might not see the small amount of coolant that might be disappearing---yet. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
If it were a diesel it would be your fuel filter. But it's not, so have you checked your oil for condensation? And you might not see the small amount of coolant that might be disappearing---yet. Good luck, I hope it's nothing serious.
I will check the oil. Thank you very much.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
My 2008 4.7 does not white smoke, mine does black smoke though!! Right there with you.

Good luck.

Not to change the subject either but what kind of mileage are you seeing on E85?

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
My 2008 4.7 does not white smoke, mine does black smoke though!! Right there with you.

Good luck.

Not to change the subject either but what kind of mileage are you seeing on E85?

Thank you.
For the E85 I never tracked it. But it does empty the tank faster. You can feel accelerate faster. Main benefit.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old e85 fuel can cause white smoke. Perhaps you for some bad fuel?

My ‘08 non-flex 4.7 (6spd) has over 365k miles and never seen any white smoke. Willing to bet it’s bad fuel

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Old e85 fuel can cause white smoke. Perhaps you for some bad fuel?

My ‘08 non-flex 4.7 (6spd) has over 365k miles and never seen any white smoke. Willing to bet it’s bad fuel
Thank you. The last time I filled up with E85 was 2 tanks ago. I let it go to half full then fill up. First tank was mid range second was premium. I will run more premium through it. To see if I can get any remaining out. Get a good fuel additive cleaner to put in and clean it up. I would like that to be the problem a lot. Thank you again.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Thank you everyone.
I think it was bad fuel.
Going on the same trip that started this issue today.
So far. Every start up has not had a puff of white smoke.
I do hope this trip will be ok..
Thank you so much.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Final update.
Changed oil to high mileage oil. Put marvel mystery oil in the gas. Now their is no smoke after that long ride. The mechanic I last spoke with called it oil smoke. I can only guess by what I did I saved the engine. Because it is driving better than before. Their isn't anymore smoke. Thank you for all your help. Without this place. I would have taken the advice of a bad mechanic and just drove it till it broke.
To many call this a bad engine. All engines can be bad if not taken care of. Thank you again everyone.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
You might consider selling/trading your truck while it's behaving. The 4.7 is not exactly a confidence inspiring engine.

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
You might consider selling/trading your truck while it's behaving. The 4.7 is not exactly a confidence inspiring engine.

If I was in a better financial place. I haven't had it for a year yet. In a 4 year loan. So stuck with it.

Thank you though

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey now...my ‘08 resents that remark with 370k+ excessively hard miles on it. Seems like the 4.7L issues lie with sludge due to pussyfooting around and not getting the oil warm. That or getting it too hot. Can’t say much about the transmission as mine is a 6spd, but my 4.7L has been almost inexplicably reliable. Just use good oil, decent fuel, and drive the hell out of it

OP
OP
RAM08110719

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Hey now...my ‘08 resents that remark with 370k+ excessively hard miles on it. Seems like the 4.7L issues lie with sludge due to pussyfooting around and not getting the oil warm. That or getting it too hot. Can’t say much about the transmission as mine is a 6spd, but my 4.7L has been almost inexplicably reliable. Just use good oil, decent fuel, and drive the hell out of it

Thank you.
I like that a lot. Since everything is far away. I do drive the hell out of it. Since I owned it. It hasn't seen stop and go traffic. Or lots of stop signs. The oil change I made to high mileage oil plus marvel mystery oil in the gas has stopped my problem. All vehicles have issues. We just have to know what to do about them. That's why places like this are so important to be a part of. My dad got a jeep wrangler. Never had anything like that his entire life. I told him to join a forum. He said what do I need that for? Not interested in meeting people. I told him that it is a collection of minds that have already been there when you get a problem. You will get honest answers. From real people that know what they are talking about. He loves it. Just thought I would add that. Thank you so much for all your help everyone. Since I did 2 things at once. I have no idea what fixed it. So I will continue to do those two things. Keep it running. 350k. That is awesome. I told my parents. They didn't believe me. First that my truck could last that long. Second that something that high in mileage would still run good. I told them it was possible. When time comes. I will probably be looking at the 2500s. More power. They also are highier off the ground usually. I want to be higher. I just want it stock. Not a lift kit. I hold more faith in what the builders do for height than messing with it. Nothing against those that have raised theirs. It's just me. Keep the greasy side down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45