Who Else is Impressed with their 2WD RAM's Off-Roading Capabilities?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab Express
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Up until about 4 months ago I lived on an incredibly bad road out here in rural Oklahoma. I was worried at first because it stays incredibly muddy for about a week after a heavy rain with lots of standing water. The first time I drove my father's 2WD Nissan Titan down the road it got stuck. Now my roommate at the time who owns the house has a 2012 RAM 1500 Bighorn 4x4. I was a little worried my 2WD RAM 1500 Quad Cab Express would have trouble.

After living there for over a year all I can say is WOW! Even when the road was nearly impassible from deep slippery mud my 2WD RAM went right through it at low speed while being light on the throttle. It was rutted out bad enough that my rear differential bottomed out at times but it just kept on going. The traction control system on these trucks is incredible and kept the truck perfectly straight and in control at all times. It never even thought about getting stuck. In fact, I pulled out several people who were stuck with my 2WD RAM while I was there.

Now last winter when the snow and ice came I was a little concerned as well. I ended up putting about 300lbs worth of sandbags in the very back up against the tailgate. The combination of the traction control system with the added weight did great, and I had no problems going wherever I needed to.

I have driven several 2WD trucks in the past and NONE of them have behaved in such conditions nearly as well as my 2WD RAM 1500 does. I think the traction control system is outstanding and is the primary factor for its abilities.

Now that I am living in an urban area and drive mainly on paved roads I am definitely not in need of 4WD. I think the money I saved opting for the 2WD model was well worth it considering the truck's capabilities.

Have you all had any similar experiences? I swear, my truck believes it is 4WD haha!

:favorites13:

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does incredibly well in snow/ice. I only took it off-roading once before I dropped it, and it did well.

Do you have limited slip/ anti slip?

That's the key. Can't do everything a 4x4 can, but it helps bridge the gap

OP
OP
S

scrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Quad Cab Express
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Mine does incredibly well in snow/ice. I only took it off-roading once before I dropped it, and it did well.

Do you have limited slip/ anti slip?

That's the key. Can't do everything a 4x4 can, but it helps bridge the gap

I do not have the limited slip, but I can feel when the traction control applies the brakes slightly I think to transfer power back and forth to whichever rear wheel is losing traction.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I didn't need to switch into 4x4 much this past winter..and when I did, it was possibly due to the stock tires being pretty bald or when it snowed 10 cm. These trucks are pretty good in 2WD.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is a 2wd I take it places my friends with 4x4 won't take theirs haha

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Heck yeah, congrats on the Ram off roading experience. IMO, the way to describe that road sounds like a 2wd nightmare. I am suprised you didn't opt for a 4x4. Glad the 2wd worked out and that Titan flopped.

I bought a 2wd silverado years back and didn't have as good of luck off the beaten path as you have. I never made that mistake twice. 4x4 until I die.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i can't comment on the ram but i've had enough experience with other 2wd trucks to never buy another

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't need to switch into 4x4 much this past winter..and when I did, it was possibly due to the stock tires being pretty bald or when it snowed 10 cm. These trucks are pretty good in 2WD.

I'm waiting for my stock tires to die before replacing in my 2wd.. You 2wd guys that are happy with traction... stock tires?

Cause mine seriously suck ass... First rain we had I goosed it just a little too hard making a right hand turn... Damn near did a 180.

First time launching my jetski's this summer I was scared to death that I would just slide into the marina.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
i paid extra for a 4x4 truck once...never used it. LOL my current truck is a 2 wheeler. im happy, but i guess it would be nice to have should the need arise.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The only time I have used 4wd is to pull couple of trees and around our storage shed at work is very loose gravel and my boss has a boat that weights every bit of 6000lbs and it doesn't like the gravel other than that it's been 2wd even through a muddy creek.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Last winter on oem GY Wranglers my truck did really well in 2wd w/ TC off. I like to have fun lol. I only needed to use 4x4 a few times for getting up some hills on my commute to work. We had a 2nd or 3rd place recorded winter here in philly last winter ( 55 inches ). I can wait to see what this winter is going to be like. The North East is supposedly projected for another heavy hitting winter this year which makes me one happy individual !!!!!. Cant wait to try out some new A/T or M/T rubber as well.

I however could not own a 2wd truck. It's just a personal preference for me with any SUV or Truck.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had 3 2wd truck , a gmc sonoma 1998 ( open diff) , a chevy colorado 2007 ( open diff ) and gmc sierra 2011 ( auto-lock )

Here our winters are really hard and 2wd in those snow storm suck big time.

Then I traded my 30 000 km 2wd truck ( with so much depreciation ) for a 4wd ram, but I never had any regrets . Sometime I put the truck on 2wd just to remember how it was . omg I can't stay on that **** for more than fews meters.

Both truck , the sierra and the ram had brand new studded winter tire, and the difference is huge.

2wd in real snowstorm, suck ... I mean really suck..

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I kind of envy those who can get away with 2 wheel drive and one set of tires for all year.

Because of where I live, every one of our vehicles is either a 4x4 or a front wheel drive with 4 snow tires (from October 15 thru May 1). It gets friggin expensive, snow tires don't last long when they have to be on a car for 5+ months!

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm waiting for my stock tires to die before replacing in my 2wd.. You 2wd guys that are happy with traction... stock tires?

Cause mine seriously suck ass... First rain we had I goosed it just a little too hard making a right hand turn... Damn near did a 180.

First time launching my jetski's this summer I was scared to death that I would just slide into the marina.
I think its the Goodyear Wranglers SRA's that come with the truck. I don't blame the truck at all but the tires simple don't grip in the rain like they should. I was once gently braking coming up to a red light. The truck went sideways and skidded to a stop just feet from the cars in front of me. The SRA's get bad reviews on line, too.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I kind of envy those who can get away with 2 wheel drive and one set of tires for all year.

Because of where I live, every one of our vehicles is either a 4x4 or a front wheel drive with 4 snow tires (from October 15 thru May 1). It gets friggin expensive, snow tires don't last long when they have to be on a car for 5+ months!
You must of had to do some digging to find this thread as it's 9 years old,lol

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It popped up as a "similar thread". I didn't even look at the date.
I used to participate in the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums, but I quit about two years ago. I once clicked on a thread like that popped up, and commented on it. Then I was blasted out of the water for "pulling up old threads" when it was their own site that did it! Go figure!

There are some GREAT posters there. "Clinebarger" and "Trav" are the best of the best. However, some of the others there are just head cases. Some look for a fight might even go postal if you say "water is wet". I don't need the drama.