Who has experience with air suspension on a Ram 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am seriously considering trading in my 2016 Ram 1500 Limited for a 2020 Ram 2500 Limited MegaCab with the 6.4 Hemi. I do not need the CTD because I only tow a 5500 lb. car trailer and don't haul heavy loads in the bed. I mainly take long road trips and want the MegaCab for the extra room, but I LOVE the ride quality of the factory air suspension on my 1500.

I test drove a 2019 2500 MegaCab, and while it rode well for a 2500, it's nowhere near the ride of the 1500. After I get the new 2500, my plan was going to be to replace the coil springs front and rear with the Kelderman air bags and run them at the lowest possible pressure to give the best possible ride. The 2500 Hemi is 800 pounds lighter than the CTD, so I'm thinking this should allow me to run relatively low pressure for a good ride.

I am aware that rear air bags are a factory option on the 2500's, but this is a closed system that is designed more for load leveling in the rear. It does not allow for any manual adjustment.

Has anyone ridden in a 2500 that has been converted to front AND rear aftermarket air bags? How close to a 1500 with factory air bags did it ride? Thanks!

kmrtnsn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're never going to get a 2500 to ride like a 1500. For one, there's the whole solid front axle (4x4) aspect, then there is the stiffer springs REQUIRED for the additional weight hauling capacity. As for replacing coil springs with airbags, no, it doesn't work that way, you can augment a spring with an airbag but that leaves you with the factory springs. Frankly, is six useful inches of cab space really worth all of the aggravation?

red pulling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have the kelderman system on a Kodiak and it is great. As for lower pressure, it only uses the pressure to maintain ride height. Go with it and it adjusts to load. Rides great loaded or unloaded. Might not be like a half ton but it as close as it gets. Get the compressor and leveling valves, you will love it.

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
I had factory auto level feature on my 4th gen RAM. I towed a Newmar Kountry Aire the weighed in a close to 20K! Never had any issues and it rode better than my present 5th gen. In a moment of idiotness I traded it for a lesser truck of another manufacturer. Just one of the worst mistakes I've made but not the biggest! I couldn't afford to replace it with another Longhorn so went with a Big Horn. I miss my air ride!! IMO the air level is a feature that's worth the money!

Good Luck

DV8S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I know this post string was several months ago now, but I just ran across it.
While I don't have airbags in the rear yet, I will soon.
I bought both front & rear Hellwig sway bars, & the front arrived in Sept, I installed it, & the rear just arrived on Monday!
As was said, with this being a 2500, & having that straight axle up front, it's a truck, not a car-truck. I had already installed Billsteins front & rear, ohwever, that sway bar made a huge difference in ride comfort, as did reducing my tire pressure to 58 front, 55 rear when UNLOADED.
Hope to install the rear Hellwig in 2 weeks, as well as the airbags, & turnover ball in the bed.