Who has towed this much for these distances

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Welder69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just started working with a new company welding and it's going to cause me nationwide traveling, pulling my 8100 dry weight camper. Tounge weight is low 800s. For example I'll be traveling from Louisiana to North Carolina pretty soon 14 hrs drive. I'l be doing drives like this roughly 8 -10 times a year. I have a 2016 8 speed 5.7. I am' going to upgrade my gears from 321 to 410 and air bags, a week are so from today. I do have a custom tune ( I know probably does not make a world of a difference) so basically I'm wondering does anyone tow with 410 gears are 392, for long distances and heavy loads like this???? I do not hall with water in my tankz and extra people I go as light as possible.
, any extra add ons I can do to help beside the ones I listed???

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’ll be hard on a half ton after awhile. I’d definitely step up to 2500 gas, diesel would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I would upgrade your springs either the correct way (local spring shop) or the lazy way, add a leafs.

Leaf springs flex more than air bags, air bags are great for many things, but certain vehicles aren't meant to have them and can flex or bend the frame.

Knowledge comes from years of towing and building wreckers.

Edit you have a 2016, prob coil springs. time for the 2500.

OP
OP
W

Welder69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would upgrade your springs either the correct way (local spring shop) or the lazy way, add a leafs.

Leaf springs flex more than air bags, air bags are great for many things, but certain vehicles aren't meant to have them and can flex or bend the frame.

Knowledge comes from years of towing and building wreckers.

Edit you have a 2016, prob coil springs. time for the 2500.

So no way around this???
And if I do have to upgrade how about one of those titans with the cummins any input on that, I know it doesn' have the zip like mine does I test drove one but for towing my camper like I'm looking at? Anyone have input on that truck

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
They make heavier duty springs, you could put in the back, along with your air bags. Make sure to have an on board compressor and an adjustment switch or knob in the cab.

May want to change gearing in rear end. It will be easier on your tranny.

I can tell you if it was me and my truck, I wouldn't want to buy another, I'd personally do the air bags, and regear the rear end if needed for less wear on tranny. I know what air bags can do, and even then I would still do this, because it is one of the only options.

For me buying a new truck is not an acceptable option. I purchased the truck I wanted at that given time.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So no way around this???
And if I do have to upgrade how about one of those titans with the cummins any input on that, I know it doesn' have the zip like mine does I test drove one but for towing my camper like I'm looking at? Anyone have input on that truck

The Titan XD is still a half ton frame, and half ton axles. You could get a 2500 for what you pay for them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Welder69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think I'ma look into a 2500 desiel, I know when I get into hilly and mountain areas that gas burner is gonna suck at mpg and it will be screaming the whole time.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I pull the band trailer during marching Band season. It weighed in at like 7k lbs. It was hell on my 1500 with 3.21. It wasn't that I didn't have the power to pull it, because I did. At least I felt I did. The issue for me was the suspension (or lack thereof) and the transmission. If that trailer got to bouncing, it was scary in the truck and in the VA hills, I was constantly down shifting.

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pull the band trailer during marching Band season. It weighed in at like 7k lbs. It was hell on my 1500 with 3.21. It wasn't that I didn't have the power to pull it, because I did. At least I felt I did. The issue for me was the suspension (or lack thereof) and the transmission. If that trailer got to bouncing, it was scary in the truck and in the VA hills, I was constantly down shifting.

Did you have airbags or a load equalizing hitch ?

OP
OP
W

Welder69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank yall for the advice, ima move up to a 2500 but the 1500 gonna have to work tell at least around August I'ma have to save some cash. Might get me a used f250 6.7

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why don't you just trade in your 8100 pound camper for something smaller? It would be so much cheaper than buying a new truck. My trailer is 19' and is 5000 pounds loaded. Get a small trailer in the 3000 pound range and your currant truck will tow it anywhere and you won't have to wrestle it down the road. Why drag a behemoth around for work just for one person?

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Like other have said, get a 2500 6.4 to save you some money or spend the extra and get the 6.7 . I wouldn't trade in the trailer. I assume you like your trailer and you have everything you like in it and outfitted the way you want it. Not to mention since you are living in the trailer much of the year there is a chance that if you trade in for a smaller or lighter trailer you may compromise your comfort levels with a trailer that can't keep you cool or warm like your bigger trailer.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4 2500 would handle that fine. Plus you have the option of the lifetime warranty if you want. The 6.7 wouldn’t even notice it is there.

Dragging that much trailer and working the way you will be working, it will be hard on that 1500. It can do it, but the wear will start to add up and may start to show after 2 years.

Lyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the 3.92 gears the 8 speed loves them. You don't need a 2500 for an 8000 pound trailer since your only pulling it a few times a year. I pulled a 11000 pound bumper pull camper with my 1500 ram from Mississippi to Las Vegas then to Texas with no problem at all.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just started working with a new company welding and it's going to cause me nationwide traveling, pulling my 8100 dry weight camper. Tounge weight is low 800s. For example I'll be traveling from Louisiana to North Carolina pretty soon 14 hrs drive. I'l be doing drives like this roughly 8 -10 times a year. I have a 2016 8 speed 5.7. I am' going to upgrade my gears from 321 to 410 and air bags, a week are so from today. I do have a custom tune ( I know probably does not make a world of a difference) so basically I'm wondering does anyone tow with 410 gears are 392, for long distances and heavy loads like this???? I do not hall with water in my tankz and extra people I go as light as possible.
, any extra add ons I can do to help beside the ones I listed???

My Son is a Pipeline welder and travels.. he has a 1 ton dually 6.7 ford and has the welder bolted in the back. Any trailering he needs he then hooks up and pulls whatever he needs.
BTW thats a good profession, he will be 22 in June and is making over 145K a year doing that. he loves it .

pat leary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pennstar 3.6
I have a 2017 ram 1500 3.6 penstar,with the trailer tow package.It is a 4x4 and this past spring my family and I went from florida to Yellowstone National Park.I never had the first problem pulling a twenty foot trailer.And the vehicle averaged 14.1 mpg.The vehicle is equipped with an anti sway bar.The vehicle is driven moderately and had no problem staying with the flow of traffic.

vwmaniaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Towed my 24.5 ft 5th wheel with empty tanks from Michigan City Indiana to western Ky. Pulled it with no problem in towing mode. Mine is a 2007 with 3.92 gears and a hemi 5.7. Does need a leaf added though and I will be getting that done. My hitch weight is 1085lbs. There were times that I almost forgot it was there. 1500 crew cab. Had 192K on it at the time of the tow. Now has 199k.

dillardgl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
If you check the tow capacity for the Titan is just around 10k lb the same as Ram 1500 with 392 gear ratio. The 2500 with the diesel is 17,250 with the auto trans. Also the Auto is rated at 800 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpm. The reason I know this is that I have been researching towing options. Also I just priced a new 2500 tradesman with chrome and updated interior package found several in my area new for around 45K. Close to the same price as the Titan and a whole lot more truck that keeps it value over time. Just price a used 2500 with a Cummins.

sequoia464

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as suspension, I replaced my rear springs with some TufTruck springs.

https://tuftruck.com/products/ttc-1211/

I'm towing around 5600 pounds only, but the springs are a very welcome addition. With the amount of towing that you are contemplating it might be more convenient than air bags.

The unloaded ride is still very nice, not harsh at all.

Very simple to install, I had mine changed out for $70, and if you look around you can find the springs for around $230.

Last edited: