Who's running redline oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Coming up on my second oil change, wanting to switch to this "Hemi Honey" I've seen before.

What are you putting in your power wagon and why does everyone call it the Hemi Honey?

what weight?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the 6.4 but I do run Redline and if I were you I would go with 5W40 (since Redline isn't FCA complaint oil anyway) just for the extra protection at startup. Your info under your pic says that you're in SC also and honestly it doesn't get cold enough here to worry about flow at lower temps anyway. I have never seen it below 10 degrees down here in Chas. and I've lived here my entire life. I've been running it most of the last 2-2.5 years and she's always been quiet regardless of how cold or hot it was.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Maybe Im the exception I tried redline 5w-40 and the only thing I noticed was my oil temps would rise any where from 2-5° higher than with my Amsoil 0w-40. Also no noticeable difference in my slight "tick". Im an amsoil fan boy I guess[emoji1745]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I'm running Redline 5-40 and can say that although I never had a "tick", my valve train is quieter than before with the 0-40 pennzoil ultra platinum.

Have not noticed an increase in oil temps.

I'll continue to run Redline and plan to send UOA's after every oil change to track what's going on inside.

Here's the UOA I got after my oil change with PUP:

Screenshot_20201008-152152_Drive.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my PW never had the tick but when I switched from PUP to that sweet nectar called Red Line it did quiet down my valvetrain. I also run Red Line in my Mustang and it keeps the Coyote running quiet and smooth. Some of the Coyote engines also have a form of the tick but not mine.

FYI, we have the 7 quart RL packages listed here.
https://gotexhaust.com/i-23696684-r...package-for-ram-150025003500-gas-engines.html

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
FYI. the Redline is the "Hemi honey" really for the 5.7l Engines. The 5W-30 those guys can run has a great additive package that really help the lifters quiet down.

Now for the 6.4l. The standard 0W-40 from redline. which i believe DOES meet FCA specifications (MS-whatever it is). i dont think is all that special. I never noticed a quieter valvetrain, it is a good oil. i just dont think it does what the 5W-30 does for the 5.7l Hemi.

I also tried the 5W-40, and for me. Made the tick worse at start up. which i think is from a thicker viscosity when cold.

I have the Redline 0W-40 in my Powerwagon now. But i am thinking of switching over to Amsoil on the next change. I ran their racing oil in my little race car, and it was awesome stuff. Along with running Ethanol for fuel. The inside of my engine always looked new. Barely any deposits or carbon build up.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline 5w20 and a then bottle of LubeGuard on my last oil change. I'll be running PUP 5w30 in a few weeks for the winter. Already got it ready to go.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run redline 0-w40 made my 6.4 way quieter, I also added lubetech at my halfway point of a oil change interval. I do my changes every 5k.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Redline 5w20 and a then bottle of LubeGuard on my last oil change. I'll be running PUP 5w30 in a few weeks for the winter. Already got it ready to go.

Just out of curiosity, what is your strategy for running heavier weight oil in the winter?

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just out of curiosity, what is your strategy for running heavier weight oil in the winter?

I'm switching back to mfg suggested, that's really the only strategy. lol Should I be running lighter weight in the winter?

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm switching back to mfg suggested, that's really the only strategy. lol Should I be running lighter weight in the winter?

Typically one would expect to see higher weights in the warm season and lighter weights in the winter, especially in very cold climates to promote cold start circulation. I was just curious.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically one would expect to see higher weights in the warm season and lighter weights in the winter, especially in very cold climates to promote cold start circulation. I was just curious.

Ah, good to know. I appreciate that. Glad I chimed in here.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Run MOPAR spec equivalent Red Line in axles and trans and run MOPAR spec in engine and TC.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'm a dork. I'm going from Redline 5w30 to PUP 5w20. I was a little groggy the other morning. lol

AZOZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running Redline 5-40 and can say that although I never had a "tick", my valve train is quieter than before with the 0-40 pennzoil ultra platinum.

Have not noticed an increase in oil temps.

I'll continue to run Redline and plan to send UOA's after every oil change to track what's going on inside.

Here's the UOA I got after my oil change with PUP:

View attachment 226035

If you don't mind what type of test did you order? They have multiple options.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
If you don't mind what type of test did you order? They have multiple options.

You'll just need to fill this out and they'll send you a sample collecting kit.

I did the standard analysis and added the TBN as well for gits and shiggles. You can opt to add this in when you submit your sample, just put a check mark next to it and add $10 when sending it back.

Sash

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram1500
two weeks a go I change to 5w30 redline in my 2020 5.7 and the hemi is running very smooth.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good stuff ,for sure.