Why did you buy your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Been needing to replace my 1997 Ford F150 for a while that I bought used in 2000. Would need new tires probably before winter and the heater/defroster wasn't blowing even warm air (couldn't drive it on some very cold days last winter). Went with a Ram as I could get some things in a 1/2 ton that would require getting a 3/4 ton in GM or Ford; such as a 3.92 gear ratio (wanted 3.73/3.92). I use a truck on my dad's farm (working, hunting, etc.) plus we need at least one vehicle to haul stuff when needed.. Got a crew cab for the room; either stuff or people.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
79 Scout ll 4x4 (hey, the roof came off)

I had a '79 Traveler. Thing was a beast. I miss my Scout sometimes. But it had a lot of trouble passing CO emissions, and when my second wife came out to live, she came with a '02 Silverado reg cab 2WD, and we couldn't handle four vehicles, so I sold it to a guy from Wyoming.

Had a lot of fun with that Scout.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last truck was 14 years old and I had it for almost 10 years.

I was turning 50 last summer and decided it was time for a new truck as a 50th birthday present to myself.

Sadly, I sold my old truck, which was in awesome shape with many mods, to a friend of mine for a great price and he totaled it less than 6 months after he bought it. His insurance gave him 4 grand more than he paid me for it, no good deed goes unpunished I guess.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I’m in town. I rather drive my car.. when I’m working out of state no way truck ftw lol!
I hear ya bro.
If I didn't need the 4X4, I'd be ordering a brand new Hellcat Charger for sure. (Come on FCA,.....build the AWD Hellcat Charger.)

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was working in a unit from 2003 until 2010 where I got a company vehicle and the first one I had was a pick-up truck. It was during those years that I came to appreciate the utility and fun factor of pick-up trucks.

My company vehicle was pretty basic and after I came out of the unit and no longer had the company ride, I decided to buy one with all the bells & whistles.

I ended up buying myself a Ford F-150 Harley Davidson edition. I was looking to buy a Ram 1500 but got such a sweet deal on the F-150 I couldn’t pass it up.

It was a nice truck but I love my current 2016 Ram 1500 much more.

meatsbound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been in Jeeps the last 12 years. Love them, but was tired of being so limited on what we could haul. Have talked for years about buying a travel trailer and we were extremely limited by the towing limits on my Jeeps. When the last one died, decided on a crew cab truck. Then found the best deal I could.

Willllburrrr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Living out in the country, to me,almost makes it a necessity to own a truck, especially a 4WD truck. Living here in Virginia outside of Richmond you would think 4WD is not necessary and to a big degree that's right but when that one BIG snow storm hits and you have to be at work or get home from work or need to get anywhere you know you will get there. I also tow a trailer for my motorcycle and a utility trailer that has hauled everything from trash to the dump to gravel for filling in holes in the half mile long gravel driveway. What it all comes down to for me is that having a truck just makes so much sense, I honestly don't know what I would do without a truck.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
When I’m in town. I rather drive my car.. when I’m working out of state no way truck ftw lol!

Quite the opposite here... Before I got the truck, we'd normally take the missus' little Kia Soul into the city, or drive it during long trips (it gets 35 mpg or so, and looked way nicer than the old minivan I commuted in.)

But nowadays, we just take the truck everywhere, unless she's going into the city on her own (then she takes her car). Why? Because she's 6'2" tall, and I'm 6' tall. When she started riding along, she fell in love with the acres of room to spread out in, and I much prefer the handling and comfort I get driving it. The gas mileage is close enough, and people tend to not crowd in as much on the highways. Plus, I get a very decent range (500+ miles), which means not having to stop and gas up halfway to the in-law's house, like we always have to do with her Kia's tiny 10-gal tank.

I get the feeling that her next car is prolly going to be a truck at this rate...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Same reason as always. I need one and it was deeply discounted.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I like fishing, towing my boat, hunting, dump runs, house Reno’s, safety of bigger vehicle, winter safety.

One of the biggest reasons for me is a sometimes treacherous drive to work especially in winter. I was also hit head on by a drunk driver doing 60mph. I was lucky to walk away and was driving my beater at the time a sunfire and had my 08 lifted ram at home. If I had been driving my truck the world would be less one repeat drunk driving offender. I was his 4th incident of this nature. Woulda done the world a favour.

Anyways, it’ll always be a truck for me.

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

durakbane

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Kids are getting to college age and moving their stuff will be easier.
2. Wanted to get back into a 4WD vehicle. Not a fan of a rwd drive vehicle in the winter.
3. Already have an SUV, so a truck adds to our current capabilities.
4. Immediately bought kayaks since it is now much easier to cart them around.
5. For the money, RAM was best deal.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Kids are getting to college age and moving their stuff will be easier.
2. Wanted to get back into a 4WD vehicle. Not a fan of a rwd drive vehicle in the winter.
3. Already have an SUV, so a truck adds to our current capabilities.
4. Immediately bought kayaks since it is now much easier to cart them around.
5. For the money, RAM was best deal.

Specific to item 4 in your list, did you buy a rack to transport your kayaks? Or do they break down into sections that fit easily in your bed? I’m looking to pick up a couple of kayaks for wifey and I so would appreciate any advice anyone can share. [emoji1]

Our list:

1. Never owned a pickup before. Always been a sports sedan guy previous but am getting older and have more use for a truck now. Getting in and out of smaller vehicles is not nearly as fun as it used to be. [emoji1]

2. .75 acre property with about 22 mature trees equals a crap load of yard work every year. Previously I had to either pay someone to do the work, or bag it all for transport via our old minivan. Truck comes in very handy for taking yard refuse to the local yard refuse drop off locations in our area. Fill up the bed a few times back and forth to the dump and I’m done. [emoji1]

3. We foresee a boat or a pair of jetskis in our future and need a vehicle built for towing as a result. We aren’t real into camping since we are timeshare owners already so no need for more towing capacity than a 1500 series offers.

4. Love the room and comfort of the crew cab setup.

5. Kids are young adults now (youngest is 18) and moving them around to/from colleges and their first apartments is much easier with a truck. We have moved our daughter down and back from a year in the VA beach area and used the truck bed while towing a small Uhaul trailer each time.

6. We surf fish now on occasion when going to the beach. By that I mean we stick a fishing pole in the sand and then party and relax for the entire day. Drive-on beaches are inherently less crowded than walk-on beaches so it’s win win for us. We hate overcrowded walk-on beaches.

7. My wife changed careers from a teacher to a nurse a few years back and she cannot really call out of work due to inclement weather ever. Having 4WD and high ground clearance gives us confidence when the snow hits our area.

8. I run a real estate ownership and rentals business on the side so having a truck helps whenever I need to transport goods to/from properties.

9. I have grown to love having the utility and flexibility of a pickup truck. Gas mileage isn’t great but I work 5 miles from my house and can also work from home so if gas prices spike, I will simply work from home more often to cut costs.

10. Wifey drives a 2013 Honda Accord that we own and bought new. Gets close to 30 MPG average and has almost 100k miles on it now, still runs like new. Should last at least twice that mileage without any major issues. Point being we also have a car that gets good fuel mileage whenever we need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

durakbane

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Specific to item 4 in your list, did you buy a rack to transport your kayaks? Or do they break down into sections that fit easily in your bed? I’m looking to pick up a couple of kayaks for wifey and I so would appreciate any advice anyone can share. [emoji1]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just strap the two down in my bed (tailgate lowered...multiple straps/bungees securing it all down.)

Oh and I have the short bed (5'7")

(I added a couple straps after this photo was taken just to help ensure that they won't slide back. They are secure without them though.)

IMG_20180706_141602.jpg

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Because my old 1999 2500 had 190K miles on it.
Some parts were getting hard to find.
Got real tired of the 9mpg.

Biggest reason, I needed a crew cab.
My son got too long legged for the quad cab.

TARDIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my RAM because I needed a bigger back seat for my kids than my Silverado ex cab offered. I also didn't want to spend $2000 on a new cap. Found a 2015 RAM crew cab with a cap. It had the best price for the milage, year, and had a cap. It doesn't seem as solid as my previous two bare bones Chevy trucks, but I've only had it four months and 8K miles. I'm hoping it'll get me to 200K miles at least without any major failures.

YJ Steve-O

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wanted something brand new, with a warranty and with features i wanted, not features i hoped to find in a used truck. I came from an 06 Dakota with the intention of getting into a full size for the comfort and utility. Fully intended to purchase a 2015 F-150, but the dealership played games throughout the process and made me not only refuse to buy from that dealership, they completely turned me away from Ford in general. I'm glad they did, because i got everything i wanted in my Ram (including things i was not able to get in the F-150 at the trim level i was looking at), got much better financing, and got much more value for my dollar in going with Ram.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Didn't want to buy used (first new vehicle I've ever purchased), that and tired of borrowing my father's truck. Had 2 GMC's before this (97 & 87). Wanted a truck again. My 08 Charger (police) is gettin' old.