Why do I like my 50 gallon gas tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I like it because I can get someplace without having to stop and fill up.

Red

full

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in, but I am never far enough away from a gas station for my standard tank to be a problem, even when towing.

My bladder, and a need to stretch is such that after two hours, I'm looking for a rest room, gas is usually right there.

dragstrip69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I like the range also and when I filled up last week my range said the exact same number 660 to empty!

Only thing is my tank is only 33 gallons!!! lol! I'm down to half a tank right now and my range is still at 346 to empty! Love it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You guys suck LOL. My truck has a range of about 320 miles when the pathetically small 23 gallon tank is full (when I can actually get it full). Just happy I don't tow anything with this thing.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What size tank will I get with my 2021 Ram big horn? I did not order the 33 gal. Tank

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I like it because I can get someplace without having to stop and fill up.

Red

full

You know I kind of wish I could get a bigger tank option for my 1500 Eco diesel. My range meter shows roughly 700ish miles right now for my 33 gal tank. Like you I love being able to just keep going and chose when and where I get fuel.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Man good job photoshopping your range miles man, can't even tell its fake!

JK. It's the tank envy talking.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But can you actually fill it in one shot, or do you have to restart the pump?

I can understand it for someone who hauls heavy all the time, since the standard tank might only get you 300 miles, but otherwise it's just a bit of a ****** measuring contest, no? Big expense for a convenience item.

dragstrip69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
But can you actually fill it in one shot, or do you have to restart the pump?

I can understand it for someone who hauls heavy all the time, since the standard tank might only get you 300 miles, but otherwise it's just a bit of a ****** measuring contest, no? Big expense for a convenience item.
Why would you need to restart the pump? Am I missing something, I can put 30 gallons in the truck then move it forward and put 35 more gallons into the bass boat.

I consider it a safety item, running low on fuel in rural country towing isn't a convenience for me.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where did you find a 50 gas tank for our trucks? Diesel tanks are easy to find but bigger gas tanks not so much....

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My empty range is over 800 miles and currently in testing for accuracy since buying the truck. Where it is important for me is when towing long distance. The less I have to pull into stations the better. I gained over 50% range over the stock tank and at 9 MPG towing that is huge. Trips to Alaska can make my range pretty short with limited re-fueling options so range is important to me.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Why would you need to restart the pump? Am I missing something, I can put 30 gallons in the truck then move it forward and put 35 more gallons into the bass boat.

I consider it a safety item, running low on fuel in rural country towing isn't a convenience for me.

Many stations limit you by gallons or dollars. I usually have to pump two cycles when fueling.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What size tank will I get with my 2021 Ram big horn? I did not order the 33 gal. Tank
Assuming it's a 1500, it depends on how your truck is configured. For the Big Horn, the standard tank size for the QC is 26 gallons. Standard tank size for the CC with long bed is also 26 gallons. Standard tank size for the CC with a short bed can be either 23 or 26 gallons, depending on how it's equipped. If you post your truck configuration we can tell you which size tank to expect.

The fact that so many are equipped with a 23 gallon tank is ridiculous to me, especially since the upgrade from the 23 to the 26 gallon tank is a free upgrade.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My empty range is over 800 miles and currently in testing for accuracy since buying the truck. Where it is important for me is when towing long distance. The less I have to pull into stations the better. I gained over 50% range over the stock tank and at 9 MPG towing that is huge. Trips to Alaska can make my range pretty short with limited re-fueling options so range is important to me.

I can understand the need if you are driving in a place like Alaska. There may well be some western states with it makes good sense, especially when towing. In New England, it's tough to find a place that is more than 25 miles from a gas station. There are a few, but not many.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can understand the need if you are driving in a place like Alaska. There may well be some western states with it makes good sense, especially when towing. In New England, it's tough to find a place that is more than 25 miles from a gas station. There are a few, but not many.
Theoretically you're not wrong. I use my truck for daily driving, and my issue is having to stop at the gas station every three or four days. Sure, there are plenty of gas stations on my commute. Some of them give me problems getting the tank full (but that's another story LOL). I just have better things to do with my time than stopping for gas that often.

Reactions: BWL

ITA1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel engine
Good morning , my previous. 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 I did installed bilstein shock absorbers and they were fantastic, this truck I just sold it and already ordered the new 2021 Dodge Ram 2500, which I will like to install Bilstein shock absorbers, my question is : what type of the Bilstein shock absorbers do you recommend for this truck?? Highly appreciate as I live in Guatemala, Central America and will need to import them.
Thank you for your recomendations.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's good to have for sure. Our 1500 came with the 33gal tank and it's beautiful...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54