Why Ram over Ford and GM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do seem to have brand loyalty since I've had 4 Ram's now. I think it's the best bang for my buck and I've loved everything about my Ram's.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was talking to a good friend of mine today, who is looking at purchasing a new truck. He was asking why I went with a Ram vs an F-150 or Silverado/Sierra. I got my 2016 Laramie about a month ago, and traded from a Lone Star. I was looking for something with more of the bells and whistles, and consider myself more of a truck enthusiast than a brand loyal kind of guy. So I considered Ford and GM to some degree, but went with Ram again after researching all options. I told my friend my short list of reasons for going with Ram was:

-Bang for your buck. The equal trims to my truck (Lariat F-150, LTZ Silverado) were more. Specifically the Fords, those were $4k more at least.

-Styling. I liked the looks of the Ram the best of all three. The Silverado square wheel wells are blah, and I just can't quite get used to the F-150. The aluminum on those also concerns me.

-Infotainment. The uconnect system blows the other two out of the water in my opinion. No comparison. Side note, I'd also say I like the Ram interior layout and quality the best too.

-My biggest gripe about the GM trucks is that they seem to have a considerably smaller back seat, even in the crew cab option. My wife and I went to the Dallas auto show in March and sat in all three and they were quite tight behind the driver with the drivers seat all the way back (I'm 6'3").

-It might be silly, but the fords seem a little ***** to me. I don't need my truck to be able to back a trailer for me, or have some fold out ladder from the tailgate. Maybe it's because I see a bunch of businessmen driving Platinums in my metropolitan area, but the fords seem a little pretty boyish.

So, what were your reasons for going with Ram? I plan to pass them along to my buddy.
Ferd's look like boxes with wheels.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm brand loyal as an adult. growing up my first car was a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger 318 V8 now with financial issues as a kid i got a chevy silverado and it was not much of a comfortable ride and it didnt have the get up and go i needed. now just this past Jan. i got my 2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi CC 4X4 ST and it could run circles around that chevy towing hauling speed comfort reliability oh... and fuel milage. I also on occasion Drive my father in laws 2013 2500 6.7 CTD QC 4X4 long bed SLT and i can say with out a doubt whether it be gas or diesel I know that Ram can do anything and everything you put on its plate. God Bless America

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This truck is my first truck so my comment can be taken as a grain of salt. Had it narrowed down between the Ram and Silverado High Country. I think the F-150 is overpriced, have less appealing styling (interior and exterior), and not a fan of the aluminum bed so it quickly got eliminated.
My coworker have a Silverado and was telling me about electrical problems that's common. After looking at options and trim levels, the Ram stood out more and more. IMO, Ram is the best bang for your buck truck. I went to the dealer to look at some 2014 models, left with a loaded 2016 Sport. Ever since, I've been getting compliments from many different types of truck owners.

Divinggumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only reason I looked away from ford was since my truck is a fleet business / personal truck they wouldn't let me do it up like my 2013 F150 with Fox racing shocks. From the factory the Ram Rebel was the best option for me. The air ride, ram box and 33s on 17" wheels are what sold me. I've been a Ford guy for 12 years and they make great stuff. If my hands weren't tied with what I can or couldn't do the F150 5.0 would have been my next truck. I'd put Toyota after the Ford/ Ram and then chevy at the bottom.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i went with ram cause i like them.

Ray2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HEMI, Floor Shifter, Looks, Factory Dual Exhaust.

eng42day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm like rvj. I had a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with the 5.3L engine. In less than 10,000 miles the transmission went out. The dealer had no clue how to fix it. They had to call GM tech support to get help which didn't help much so they threw a bunch of parts in it to try and fix it. First attempt didn't work and the second one did so, so.

The transmission was still clunky and unpredictable and it would not pull a steep hill under 20 mph to save its life. The transmission shifted out too high and you had to floor it to get it to shift down to get up the hill.

A little over a month ago, I got my wife a 2016 Dodge Charger RT. After driving it, I knew I wanted to get rid of my Denali and two weeks later traded it for a 2016 RAM CC Big Horn 4x4. I majorly downgraded from a Denali to the Big Horn and gave up a lot of fancy niceties, (leather seats, lane departure and front crash detection, etc.) but what I gained in the Big Horn was priceless.

The power is amazing compared to the Denali. My wife hated driving the Denali because she didn't trust it but she loves this Ram. My Denali was a beautiful truck but it got annoying to drive. The Ram drives like a car. And it has coolers under the floor mat in the back seat for beer.:happy107:

RamNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well here goes nothin. I decided on my ram (long time ford guy) for a few reasons.

1. PRICE. Ford seems way to overpriced, the ford crew cab 4x4 vs. The ram 4x4 crew cab both lonestars was almost 6k more.

2. The Hemi engine. I never once sat in a Ram, until the day I test drove the truck i own now. Once i drove the hemi i couldnt stop grinning ear to ear. The horsepower it produces and the 8speed are amazing. It blows the eco boost away in my opinion.

3. Max care warranty option. Havent bought one yet, but i will. Just gotta pick up the phone.

4. The Salesmen i worked with at lithia dodge in south texas was absolutely amazing. His attention to detail was above and beyond in my opinion. The ford salesmen wouldnt even give me ten minutes of his time before he would walk off and disappear.

These four reasons are why I became a Ram owner instead of a ford owner again. I am very happy with the vehicle i own today. 5 stars to Ram.

16'EcoD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not brand loyal at all and expect to take some heat for this.. gm makes best basic v8 gasser truck. Ford ecoboost is the best hotrod trucks. Ram has the only light duty diesel truck on the market worth talking about.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4. The Salesmen i worked with at lithia dodge in south texas was absolutely amazing. His attention to detail was above and beyond in my opinion. The ford salesmen wouldnt even give me ten minutes of his time before he would walk off and disappear.

I really like that dealership. I bought my truck there January 2013. The dealership here in Lubbock sucks more **** than Monica

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

Bigfoots03hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ill make this quick I've owned Fords for years now and it was hard for me to change. I was in the market for a regular cab truck I started looking for a used 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor but all the decent ones I was finding where low $30s my wife had a problem with me paying that much for a 2year old used truck so started looking at new trucks. Ok I work at a Ford dealer my wife works at Ram dealer so we both get employee pricing but the dealership my wife works for also owns GMC and Chevrolet dealerships also so I had a lot of options. I work in the body shop at the Ford dealer I work for been there 17 years and have fixed a lot of corrosion on aluminum parts over the years so with the new F150 being aluminum and the regular cabs looking like work trucks and GMC and Chevrolet both looked like work trucks also so I went to my wife's work and looked at Rams then I saw a R/T and I was sold love it so far. I wouldn't say I'm 100% Ram cause I still like some Fords.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ram choice:
1) 395 HP Hemi V-8
2) 8 Speed
3) U Connect w Alpine Audio
4) Features per Dollar (Air conditioned seats, leather, heated seats and steering wheel)
5) Looks
6) Rear fender liners....Duh
7) Ride

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not brand loyal at all and expect to take some heat for this.. gm makes best basic v8 gasser truck. Ford ecoboost is the best hotrod trucks. Ram has the only light duty diesel truck on the market worth talking about.

When I was shopping I drove the "basic V-8 gasser" GM 5.3 with the 6 speed. It was really SLOOOOOOW compared to the Ram. Perhaps the 6.2 would do a bit better, but that drive turned me off even though I really like the looks of the GMC.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I admit, I am a bit brand loyal. I've always had good luck with Chrysler (now FCA) vehicles, and my family and in-laws have been so impressed, they started buying them too. After my wife got her 2014 Jeep GC, and I bought my 2013 Ram (later totaled by a semi-truck that decided red lights were for pansies, so I now have my 2014), my parents bought a Jeep GC and a Ram as well, and my father-in-law liked my wife's GC so much that he bought a Cherokee last week.

If I didn't like my Ram so much, I could get on board with a GMC product, if I was forced too. The more I look at the trucks, the more I like the Rams and GMCs, and the less I like the newer Fords. The Fords have some of the newest and latest technology as options, and you'd think that being an IT guy, I would eat that right up. But as others have said here, the Rams have the nicest quality/laid out interior, and the uConnect system is second to none in the truck market (even the dreaded Consumer Reports loves the uConnect).

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is on a totally unbias observation.

I have a 12 ram hemi 6spd
My dad has a 07 new body style Silverado which is still basically the newish Silverado. I can't attest to the newest f150 because my uncle doesn't haul anything super heavy in his 16 eco. I did however have a 04 new body style 5.4 truck. I thought that thing was the best thing since sliced bread when in bed hauling. I am a long time for hard ford fan. I went looking for a new ford to begin with and drove a 15 f150, a 15, silverado, and then lastly my ram. I was completely against anything dodge with their track record. I know I ended up with my 12 ram, but I could not top the power, the room, the amount of storage, and in the real world the things I have hauled in it. Even touching the bump stops the motor and transmission has no issues. I am hooked on the new dodges. So yes I am a convert.

Jake91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Knew the history (dad was first owner)
Got a good deal (dad was first owner)
Looks best of the three