Why should I...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TXCOMT

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wasn’t trying to scare you off of a Cummins, but that’s why I sold mine. Bought a new hemi, and then an 85 ford diesel for a ranch truck. Good luck with the farm!

You didn't; I really appreciate the input! I realized I just wouldn't use a bigger truck the way it should be, so I'll go the route you did...I just happened to be perusing CL for farm trucks just a minute ago. I think that's what I'll do instead.

TXCOMT

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I know plenty of farmers in my region using emissions equipped trucks without any issues. You would have to be at low speeds for many hours/miles without any highway trips in between for it to have an long term effects. I know I don't put in enough low speed hours and neither does my father in law. But then again, everyone's farm is different.

FYI, the SCR on the Cummins was recalled due to moisture damaging certain components so having issues with it may not have been due to duty cycle.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Be careful with your 1/2 ton when loading a trailer. Being able to pull it isn't the question. It's being able to stop it. I've found a 70's to mid/late 80's Chevy C30 with the old granny low 4 speed to be an excellent farm beater. Plenty of truck to pull and stop and you can buy parts for a 350 at Walmart if you have to. A flat bed or, even better, a dump bed is an excellent addition. Won't get you there fast but it'll get you there

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know plenty of farmers in my region using emissions equipped trucks without any issues. You would have to be at low speeds for many hours/miles without any highway trips in between for it to have an long term effects. I know I don't put in enough low speed hours and neither does my father in law. But then again, everyone's farm is different.

FYI, the SCR on the Cummins was recalled due to moisture damaging certain components so having issues with it may not have been due to duty cycle.

You are probably right. The ‘14 Cummins I had, and all of trucks before it, spend all day at the ranch. Low speed dirt roads, 1st and 2nd gear. The Cummins would do its thing every other day maybe? That was the only thing I didn’t like about the truck. It was fantastic otherwise.