Why was the last gen 3.7L so bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hello everyone, I’ve just been thinking about the 3.7L V6 out of the 09-2012 RAMs, and all other vehicles it was in. Why was it so horrible? The 4.7 got a power boost (235 to 310) but the 3.7 never got it? I mean, the 2.7L V6 basically put out the same power. I know that the Pentastar was being developed, but honestly, in a 1500 the 3.7 was just a massive mistake, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I had that engine in an 05. Crappy mileage but as a commuter it was "ok".
I put over 100K miles on it and other than a couple of serpentine belts never had an engine issue.
I hauled a trailer a few times and it was tough to stay at 75 on the expressway, but other than that not too bad.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I had that engine in an 05. Crappy mileage but as a commuter it was "ok".
I put over 100K miles on it and other than a couple of serpentine belts never had an engine issue.
I hauled a trailer a few times and it was tough to stay at 75 on the expressway, but other than that not too bad.

Yeah it was a pretty reliable engine when taken care of properly, but it was just a dog when it came to performance. It’s the equivalent of putting a Inline 4 in a full size truck with a slushbox tranny. It *maybe* would’ve been better with the 6SP, but i doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk