Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ever flipped on your high beams while driving through snow or fog, you may have noticed how difficult it gets to see. The particles act like small mirrors that then refract the light and send it through the other particles in the air. Not only does this make it difficult for you to see, but other drivers too.
Yellow fog lights are specially made to help drivers navigate the road carefully in foggy conditions. Yellow lights are the best among fog light colors because they hit your retina in a way that enables you to focus on the road. Staring constantly at white light can frustrate the eye, and darker colors like blue and green have limited wavelength.
Here is the complete guide for all your doubts regarding the fog lights.
https://undergroundlighting.com/blogs/news/yellow-vs-white-fog-lights
Are you buying fog lights for the first time? If so, you may find it difficult to select one brand from among the many varieties of fog lights on the market. Underground Lighting offers LED fog light bulbs that work with a wide range of car models. We even help with custom orders to ensure that you get exactly what you are looking for! Visit now.
https://undergroundlighting.com/collections/led-fog-lights 20200506_212227(1).jpg

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In California, we have Interstate 5, it runs from the Baja Mexico Border, (you likely have heard about Tijuana Mexico)

Interstate 5 goes all the way through California, Oregon & Washington State
It pretty much follows the Coast, but is more inland where we get a load of Fog.
Some areas, there are no side roads or any kind of access roads for maybe 40 or 50 miles apart.

During a night fog, American vehicles drive maybe 40 MPH
The Japanese Sports cars, will drive in dense fog at 70 + MPH, the lights on those cars are not yellow, they run a Blue/White Fog Light

I wait at a fuel stop until a couple foreign cars fly by & i pull out in back of them, yellow fogs on & i turn on my Cargo light, so others can keep their distance & still see me, the foreign cars just pass me.

1656354574427.png

1656354815538.png

1656354911780.png

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the yellow lights are so good, why haven’t the manufactures add them or made them a option for more $$$. We know they love more $$$.

Why hasn’t the NHSTA made them mandatory?

I tried them in the 90’s and it seems like snake oil.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Being the "better" choice isn't always enough. Betamax had a much better picture quality than VHS did, but VHS was the format that was pushed. (Some won't get this reference and I don't care if this dates me)

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Being the "better" choice isn't always enough. Betamax had a much better picture quality than VHS did, but VHS was the format that was pushed. (Some won't get this reference and I don't care if this dates me)
We had both Beta and VHS lol ... the good ole' days of going to the local video rentals lol..

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Way back in the " old days" all my fog lights where yellow, and iof you ordered on a new car , that is what you got.
The current fog lights we have are great for lighting up the ditches at night to look for deer that want to play chicken , stupid animals.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
the reason being most modern vehicles don't have yellow fog lights is because they don't actually have "fog" lights at all, they are a driving light, white in color to illuminate the road more at night not in fog.
yellow light does work better to illuminate in fog and snow and even rain, but if you want the very best vision possible, nothing tops a green light. The human eye can focus on green much easier in dark (think night vision goggles), and in bad weather, such as rain, fog, or snow.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to me 2009 Laramie. Turn on the fog lights, they are white. Push the headlight button, they turn yellow. I don't know if that's a factory set up, or not. Best of both worlds.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
the reason being most modern vehicles don't have yellow fog lights is because they don't actually have "fog" lights at all, they are a driving light, white in color to illuminate the road more at night not in fog.
yellow light does work better to illuminate in fog and snow and even rain, but if you want the very best vision possible, nothing tops a green light. The human eye can focus on green much easier in dark (think night vision goggles), and in bad weather, such as rain, fog, or snow.

You nailed it. That’s 100% correct :waytogo:

Which is why I have both Fog and Driving lights

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Most States have a motor vehicle law that reads that you can only have 4 White Lights facing Forward

6 white lights gets a ticket

I don't recall if i have used the Ram's Fogs

The 2013 & newer Ram 1500s have worthless vertical fog lights

where the 2009 to 2012 Dodge Rams had Horizontal Fogs & you could see into the ditch on the side of the road

The HD Rams Fogs are still horizontal

1663727054526.png1663726908532.png

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
New to me 2009 Laramie. Turn on the fog lights, they are white. Push the headlight button, they turn yellow. I don't know if that's a factory set up, or not. Best of both worlds.

I have these on my truck. Mine are LED. They are a type of a "switch back" bulb.
20220101_192428.jpg
20211221_185824.jpg
20211221_185818.jpg
20220922_120700.jpg
20220922_120644.jpg

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Most States have a motor vehicle law that reads that you can only have 4 White Lights facing Forward

where the 2009 to 2012 Dodge Rams had Horizontal Fogs & you could see into the ditch on the side of the road

View attachment 502637View attachment 502636
The current Rams don't have a vertical fog light they have a vertical driving light. Like most modern vehicles. But I assure you my 29 classic with the vertical light lights up the ditch and sides of the road extremely well with an LED bulb in there. Definitely lights it up better than the horizontal fog lights found on the earlier models when driving beside me on the highway

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just get the best of both worlds. I have the White/Yellow bulbs from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Turn them on they are white. Turn them off and back on they are yellow.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The current Rams don't have a vertical fog light they have a vertical driving light. Like most modern vehicles. But I assure you my 29 classic with the vertical light lights up the ditch and sides of the road extremely well with an LED bulb in there. Definitely lights it up better than the horizontal fog lights found on the earlier models when driving beside me on the highway
Put LEDs in the factory vertical "fog" lights do work good for normal conditions driving but they're totally useless when dealing with fog and snow. That's why I'm glad I changed to the DiodeDynamics SS3 Pro level SAE Fog lights. They not only cast better side lighting than the factory fog w/LEDs but the beam pattern is kept low(the beam stays pretty much below the height of the housing). I've drove in near white out conditions and the DD SS3 performed great.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The fog lights on my truck are super bright lol ... I adjusted them so that they actually light up more forward without blinding people and it gives me better lighting with the lasfit leds I put in them ....

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

View attachment 502637View attachment 502636

4 ???!!! Crap…… I’ve got (16) facing forward (1/2 amber, 1/2 white)….. and that’s not even counting the chicken lights :waytogo:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Put LEDs in the factory vertical "fog" lights do work good for normal conditions driving but they're totally useless when dealing with fog and snow. That's why I'm glad I changed to the DiodeDynamics SS3 Pro level SAE Fog lights. They not only cast better side lighting than the factory fog w/LEDs but the beam pattern is kept low(the beam stays pretty much below the height of the housing). I've drove in near white out conditions and the DD SS3 performed great.
I have had horrible luck with DD products. I will not support them anymore after failed warranty claim on my shall light bar. So I can't comment on your fogs. But the stick ram vertical driving lights with a good set of properly indexed LEDs work great in for and especially snow. I drive the pitch black highways of Northern Ontario year round. Ditches light up great, easily pick up moose before the dart out on the road. We get some of the worst snow storms in the country up here with almost no visibility yet mine lights up the lower portion of the road extremely well cutoff line is just a couple inches below the more focused lower headlight beam area at 25ft. Once my projector headlights are finished and installed, this should be phenomenal lighting