Will Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires be fine on a PowerWagon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I've decided on 305/70/17 tires. The two that I'm looking at are the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R and BFG KM2.

The Goodyear's are cheaper. I noticed that the load range is rated at D, whereas, the KM2's are E.
Will the Goodyear's work okay on the PowerWagon with a load range of D?

I know is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry. :D

Thanks

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is a good size and a good looking tire...I have considered them myself. Don’t know why but it doesn’t seem like too many run them power wagon or otherwise. Might be tough finding a KM2 anymore and they dont offer that in the KM3.

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think cooper has a 305/70-17 E in the at3 xlt...good looking At

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Factory Duratracs are load range D so shouldn't be a problem. That said I'd go load range E and neither of the tires you listed are very popular on Power Wagons. Think Cooper, Toyo, Nitto, Falken.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Hi,

I've decided on 305/70/17 tires. The two that I'm looking at are the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R and BFG KM2.

The Goodyear's are cheaper. I noticed that the load range is rated at D, whereas, the KM2's are E.
Will the Goodyear's work okay on the PowerWagon with a load range of D?

I know is probably a silly question, but better safe than sorry. :D

Thanks
PW only gets away with the D- because of its payload is less then the regular 2500 which run E. If you haul or tow much, you would rather the load rang E
Also E tend to last longer and resist punctures better then D.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run the copper at3 xlt load range E. I had bfg ko2s load range E like the coopers better but I wouldn’t run a D rated tire on my truck because of what I tow.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The KM2 has a 3 ply carcass construction which is beneficial against rock punctures on the trails and roads out here in the West which can consist entirely of solid sandstone and/or broken sharp rock. That's probably less of a concern within the Mid-West and in the East.

I'd stick with the 3 ply tire carcass of the KM2, Cooper S/T Maxx/STT Pro, Falken Wildpeak M/T, General Grabber X3, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, or the Toyo Open Country M/T versus any 2 ply tire.
Tire expert. Lol

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't be concerned with the D range MT/R's mentioned in the original post for normal driving in regards to performance. What is more important the actual letter rating is what the maximum load in pounds is for those tires. As mentioned above they are rated for 3,000 lbs. each so 12,000 lbs. total which is well above the factory GVWR of the truck. The factory tires are also D range and while they are rated slightly higher at 3,195 lbs, but I don't see how less than 800 lbs. total load rating would be noticed.

The things to consider would be the tire pressure monitoring system. Not sure what year the OP's truck is or if the older PW's had the system, but they are generally set for 65 psi. With the MT/R's you could only run 50 psi max and the warning light would be on unless you reprogrammed the system. The only other thing to consider would be if you regularly haul heavy loads over long distances (I'm talking like slide-in camper heavy on long road trip) or regularly tow maximum weight trailers, then you recommend an E range tire. With that said on trailering, on my old Chevy 2500HD I pulled a trailer that was near max towing weight with D range tires for thousands of miles with no issues.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I find the numeric load index ratings more helpful because that’s an absolute weight capacity. The old lettering system the weight capacity varies with tire size, and even within the same code like D there’s different maximum pressures.

That said, a 3,000 lb rated tire wouldn’t worry me for mud, sand, and snow. However in the rocks it’s going to be vulnerable. Wouldn’t be my first choice for the PW.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Tire expert. Lol
Yes he has done a lot of research and has been through twice the amount of tires I have. That’s what is nice about this forum is that different people put time in to different aspects of mods and we all share information instead of trial and error. @Grand Mesa has “been there and done that”

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Grand mesa dude, put that info back up! You’re advice on tires was instrumental in my purchase a few months back. My tire expert comment was meant as praise. Not in a bad way. Sorry if anyone read it like that.

Honestly you have the best comments and advice on tires. Please forgive me if it came off the wrong way.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Had a set of Wranglers on my big bronco back in the day. Hated them, kept getting stuck in sand and mud. Changed to General ATs, then could go places in 2WD couldnt go before with 4WD. About the same time the OEM wranglers on Fords were falling apart.
Personally I will never own another set of Goodyear tires.