Will I regret not getting the V8 even if I don’t tow? Debating which truck to get…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HickoryC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
My 2019 Ram Classic has the V6. Towed a car on a dolly from SE Louisiana to the mountains of Sedona, AZ in 2019. Towed a lightweight camper to & from same in 2020. Towed a cargo trailer empty going; loaded back in 2021. Tows like a dream. Very easy oil changes with filter on top. No issues whatsoever with this truck which is rated to tow between 4500 & 5900 pounds, depending upon which "expert" you listen to.

Zorin

Reaction score
Here's some advice from a professional auto tech.

I would personally stay away from the 3.6L engine. They really don't have the greatest track record once they get some miles on them, with stuff like the left head and so forth. Atop that, changing plugs in them is a bit of a hassle with having to pull the intake plenum.

Apart from those issues, the fact is, the V6 just works too hard in a truck setting. In a Charger, a 200, or a minivan, it's normally fine power wise, but in a truck, not so much. I know a fleet locally that uses short and wide Ram 1500 Classics with the 3.6L, and they are not unhappy, but they aren't pleased either. I recently rented a Crew Cab 4x4 Laramie with the Hemi, and got better gas mileage than they get in those trucks.

Another way to consider it, getting the V8 engine is basically over-engineering your truck. How is this good? By using an engine that is under stressed, the likelihood of wearing it out prematurely or overworking it is greatly diminished. However, that extra reliability factor does come at a price of the engine, as well as potentially worse fuel mileage - I say this because your as mileage is YOU. It's all about how you drive and use the truck, so we really can't predict that.

Now, also, the bigger picture here...if you are the type to trade in as soon as the warranty expires, then by all means, get whichever you prefer. When I buy a truck, I look to drive it till either I'm tired of it, or it's tired of me. That usually takes quite a while.

My advice, go with a non-E Torque Hemi. Try to get as simple and proven powertrain as possible.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"I would personally stay away from the 3.6L engine. They really don't have the greatest track record once they get some miles on them, with stuff like the left head and so forth. Atop that, changing plugs in them is a bit of a hassle with having to pull the intake plenum."

A
I believe the left cylinder head issue was early on. Haven't heard of a bad one in quite awhile now.

Pulling the intake manifold to replace spark plugs may be an issue for some, but removing the plugs on the last two cylinders on the left bank of a 5.7 is no fun either on a Ram.

https://dodgeforum.com/articles/chr...r-v6-racks-up-626k-miles-nearly-trouble-free/

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78392 miles

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They did. It's in the Nissan Titan. (Well it was, anyway)
The problem is the diesel adds a ton of weight and a lot of states a truck over 6000lbs from the factory has to were commercial plates.... I.E. NY is one. Our trucks weigh in just under 6000lbs from the factory, even a well loaded top of the line model tends to be under 5900lbs. The weight of the diesel on a quad cab would tend to push it right to the limit or just over the gen 5 may be able to take it and not pop 6000 but it would be very close on the Longhorn, Rebel, and Limited. The Gen 4s would pop it with just about any 4x4 drive train, even in Express Quad cab. A V8 Diesel engine will add at least 500lbs on the truck, plus added transmission weight. The 3L ECO diesels are slightly heavier than our 5.7 hemi

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here's some advice from a professional auto tech.

I would personally stay away from the 3.6L engine. They really don't have the greatest track record once they get some miles on them, with stuff like the left head and so forth. Atop that, changing plugs in them is a bit of a hassle with having to pull the intake plenum.

Apart from those issues, the fact is, the V6 just works too hard in a truck setting. In a Charger, a 200, or a minivan, it's normally fine power wise, but in a truck, not so much. I know a fleet locally that uses short and wide Ram 1500 Classics with the 3.6L, and they are not unhappy, but they aren't pleased either. I recently rented a Crew Cab 4x4 Laramie with the Hemi, and got better gas mileage than they get in those trucks.

Another way to consider it, getting the V8 engine is basically over-engineering your truck. How is this good? By using an engine that is under stressed, the likelihood of wearing it out prematurely or overworking it is greatly diminished. However, that extra reliability factor does come at a price of the engine, as well as potentially worse fuel mileage - I say this because your as mileage is YOU. It's all about how you drive and use the truck, so we really can't predict that.

Now, also, the bigger picture here...if you are the type to trade in as soon as the warranty expires, then by all means, get whichever you prefer. When I buy a truck, I look to drive it till either I'm tired of it, or it's tired of me. That usually takes quite a while.

My advice, go with a non-E Torque Hemi. Try to get as simple and proven powertrain as possible.

The left cylinder head was an issue only in 2012, and FCA warrantied that particular problem for like 10 years (I still have the letter they sent out).

As for "proven drivetrain", I'm sorry but the 3.6 is more reliable than the 5.7 hemi. Almost everyone is going to get manifold issues with the hemi, and too many are still getting hemi tick with lifter/cam failures. They also have weak-ish water pumps which isn't the end of the world, but still.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
As for "proven drivetrain", I'm sorry but the 3.6 is more reliable than the 5.7 hemi.

Maugain et al. v. FCA US LLC may disagree.

Gladiator owners are reporting cam failures early on as well, so this is ongoing.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maugain et al. v. FCA US LLC may disagree.

Gladiator owners are reporting cam failures early on as well, so this is ongoing.

There is a lawsuit against FCA for the 5.7 lifter failures too. First I hear of the cam failures, that sounds quite new or recent, I was talking about the left head failure that Zorin mentioned which was fixed long ago back in 2012.

I've read enough reports of many high mileage 3.6's, this guy below racked up 626,000 miles before the timing guide broke and caused a problem not worth fixing with the rest of the engine still going very strong (pistons, cam etc).

With 10+ million sold, no doubt we'll see some reports of failures here and there, but 3.6 vs 5.7 hemi I'll bet on the 3.6 everytime (I've owned both, the 3.6 was in my jeep and been on the various jeep/ram forums for years)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There is a lawsuit against FCA for the 5.7 lifter failures too. First I hear of the cam failures, that sounds quite new or recent, I was talking about the left head failure that Zorin mentioned which was fixed long ago back in 2012.

I've read enough reports of many high mileage 3.6's, this guy below racked up 626,000 miles before the timing guide broke and caused a problem not worth fixing with the rest of the engine still going very strong (pistons, cam etc).

With 10+ million sold, no doubt we'll see some reports of failures here and there, but 3.6 vs 5.7 hemi I'll bet on the 3.6 everytime (I've owned both, the 3.6 was in my jeep and been on the various jeep/ram forums for years)

It's been a thing on the Gladiator forums for awhile. I ran across it while researching my next truck.

Example: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/3-6-cam-self-destruction.63103/#post-1038365

Also, the eTorque which is mandatory with the 3.6 (and now the hemi, apparently) has left many folks stranded when the little battry went dead. The main battery starts the truck, but for some reason the computer won't let it start up as normal if the eTorque battery is dead. Which is probably a ton of fun on a trail since battery location is tough to get to.

Now, it's all anecdotal and if you go by forums, every vehicle on the planet is a dumpster fire of problems. The 'hemi tick' is completely overblown, we've got a fleet of hemis without issue, but nobody comes on forums to talk about how their vehicle didn't have a problem today. Hemis tick and get exhaust leaks, Fords either drink oil or need cam phasers, etc. etc.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's been a thing on the Gladiator forums for awhile. I ran across it while researching my next truck.

Example: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/3-6-cam-self-destruction.63103/#post-1038365

Also, the eTorque which is mandatory with the 3.6 (and now the hemi, apparently) has left many folks stranded when the little battry went dead. The main battery starts the truck, but for some reason the computer won't let it start up as normal if the eTorque battery is dead. Which is probably a ton of fun on a trail since battery location is tough to get to.

Now, it's all anecdotal and if you go by forums, every vehicle on the planet is a dumpster fire of problems. The 'hemi tick' is completely overblown, we've got a fleet of hemis without issue, but nobody comes on forums to talk about how their vehicle didn't have a problem today. Hemis tick and get exhaust leaks, Fords either drink oil or need cam phasers, etc. etc.
I dunno, this BOIRD happy with his lowly trimmed out MY 19 Bighorn, early build, Apr 2018, bought in 2018. My only Complaint is the inadequate AC. SO, for me anyway, works and does well as intended. Even between -5F to 110F, the -5F temp was the snow/ice storm misnomer in Feb 2021.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Yep, it's all anecdotal. Just saying I've seen tons of reports of hemi tick (and not just one tick, but different types of ticks), and very little reports on 3.6 issues. Both engines are extremely popular and number in the many millions.

I personally can't drive a 3.6 in a truck as that doesn't fit my use case. And I love the power of the hemi, but in terms of reliability....... jury's still out for me compared to the 5 years of absolutely trouble free ownership of my Jeep. I think all it cost me was a brake pedal sensor ($85 + labour) and regular maintenance.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Yep, it's all anecdotal. Just saying I've seen tons of reports of hemi tick (and not just one tick, but different types of ticks), and very little reports on 3.6 issues. Both engines are extremely popular and number in the many millions.

I personally can't drive a 3.6 in a truck as that doesn't fit my use case. And I love the power of the hemi, but in terms of reliability....... jury's still out for me compared to the 5 years of absolutely trouble free ownership of my Jeep. I think all it cost me was a brake pedal sensor ($85 + labour) and regular maintenance.

10.5 years and total repairs on my hemi: One coil pack.

Tick free, but a tick won't leave you stranded even if it gets it.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you don't tow, I'd only get the V8 if you just really like that engine and are already really comfortable working on it. I know that some people just like working on the hemi and are used to it. Otherwise, I don't see the upside. If you do tow, the V8 is obviously a solid option, but so are the diesel v6s. My brother's F150 turbo diesel V6 tows pretty much just as well as my v8 ram power wise.

Rams with stock rear coilovers overall suck for towing heavy stuff anyways. They provide a much nicer ride for pretty much everything else, but not for towing stuff with a lot of tongue weight. Something needs to be added to stiffen that up (be it bags, or better springs and shocks) and improve the ride if you want to tow things nicely with Rams. Myself, and all of my friends with Rams and boats to tow that are heavier than 6k lbs with trailer, all agree that our Rams suck towing that kind of weight. I recently put Bilstein 8112s up front and 8100s in the rear, with progressive Icon springs, and that entire problem I'm mentioning went away completely.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ran two V6 Grande Cherokees and a 5.7. All 2020 models. The V8 got the same mileage around town and did better on the highway than the V6s, with WAY better passing power on mountain 2 lanes. Even if it was one or 2 mpg worse I would still rather drive the 8. No idea if the same is true in the pickups but the results in the Cherokees really suprised me.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A tick that eats the cam will leave you stranded. A 5% failure rate is unacceptable. Since we can't get any info from the manufacturer, I'd lean toward believing some of the technicians on this forum when a failure is destructive.

Since Ram wouldn't give us a modern DOHC V8, it's all a moot point now, anyway.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wonder if "not being stranded" is any consolation for all those hemi guys with tick that ate the lifters/cam and then spent thousands on to fix. Somehow I suspect not.

Zorin

Reaction score
You guys are reading too far into my reply. But, to clarify a little.....

I DO own a repair shop. We see a LOT of 3.6's in here for a wide range of issues. I have done a couple of cams on 5.7's, but nowhere near as many 5.7L powered vehicles as 3.6L powered vehicles. But I have done NONE on anything newer than 2017. Fun fact, most of the Ram trucks I get in are for dash pulls - to replace the A/C evaporator.

Regardless, my largest point that I wanted to make is that I think the V6 just works too hard in the truck. It's not fit to tow and pull for any real length of time. If you use it as a truck engine, it will have have heat and stress related problems down the road. Is the Hemi perfect? Absolutely not. But I feel it does have a better chance that the V6, and a FAR better chance than a comparable V8 of a different brand. Matter of fact, since I work on ALL of them, YOU show ME an engine that's built like a Sherman Tank, and I'll go buy TWO......tomorrow morning, first thing.

The idea is to hedge your bets between reducing stress on the engine, and which problem you want to eventually deal with. If you ask me, Chrysler has had time to refine the Hemi to the point that I would buy one - as a matter of fact, it's my preferred next vehicle.

Gentlemen, after a long career of fixing **** that breaks constantly, when the guy that does the fixing says that's what he's buying next.....that's putting your money where your mouth is.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I wonder if "not being stranded" is any consolation for all those hemi guys with tick that ate the lifters/cam and then spent thousands on to fix. Somehow I suspect not.

Well, at least the 3.6 guys got to experience both, which probably does console the hemi guys. Plus the hemi guys got to have more fun...

I'd rather rebuild a motor than be bored, but understand some people want an appliance automobile. Those people would probably be better served with a stripper Toyota. Or just a stripper and a bus pass.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You guys are reading too far into my reply. But, to clarify a little.....

I DO own a repair shop. We see a LOT of 3.6's in here for a wide range of issues. I have done a couple of cams on 5.7's, but nowhere near as many 5.7L powered vehicles as 3.6L powered vehicles. But I have done NONE on anything newer than 2017. Fun fact, most of the Ram trucks I get in are for dash pulls - to replace the A/C evaporator.

Regardless, my largest point that I wanted to make is that I think the V6 just works too hard in the truck. It's not fit to tow and pull for any real length of time. If you use it as a truck engine, it will have have heat and stress related problems down the road. Is the Hemi perfect? Absolutely not. But I feel it does have a better chance that the V6, and a FAR better chance than a comparable V8 of a different brand. Matter of fact, since I work on ALL of them, YOU show ME an engine that's built like a Sherman Tank, and I'll go buy TWO......tomorrow morning, first thing.

Tank engines suck worse than truck engines. :D

In all seriousness, the only reason I bought the 5.7 was because they didn't make a 6.4L 1500. Chevy's 6.2L is a great engine as well, I'm just not in love with the truck it's wrapped in.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ran two V6 Grande Cherokees and a 5.7. All 2020 models. The V8 got the same mileage around town and did better on the highway than the V6s, with WAY better passing power on mountain 2 lanes. Even if it was one or 2 mpg worse I would still rather drive the 8. No idea if the same is true in the pickups but the results in the Cherokees really suprised me.
I agree. My wife had a grand cherokee years ago with the 3.6. It got horrible mileage. Best MPG we got was 18.3 on a long interstate trip. Her last 2 vehicles have been dodge durangos with the hemi. Both of them get better MPG in every way than her grand cherokee did with the 3.6