Winch Restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking truck. Wonder where it went?

Is the wiring for it still in place?

I remember someone selling the cradle and winch on here a while back but don’t remember the prices. I think he was asking like $850 for the cradle? And about the same for the winch? I could be totally wrong on that though.

if I was buying this truck I would put an AEV bumper and winch on it. you have a pretty decent excuse to spend that kid of money to outfit the truck the right way.

If not I’d only buy molar parts but I have a feeling they are going to cost a good amount. Could be wrong. Keep us posted on how this turns out

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yeah they’re like a couple of grand, they’re not just gonna pony up and pay for it, you might have to source the parts on your own

OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I did tell the Dealer, that since this is OEM and (from the Pictures) it looked like the brackets and bumper sub structure appeared to be missing they may be liable because the impact zone as been modified (hey one can try)

I hear that these get stolen most small dealers won't display PW's on the Street line

what I'd really like to try is a 5th Gen Bumper

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Well I did tell the Dealer, that since this is OEM and (from the Pictures) it looked like the brackets and bumper sub structure appeared to be missing they may be liable because the impact zone as been modified (hey one can try)

I hear that these get stolen most small dealers won't display PW's on the Street line

what I'd really like to try is a 5th Gen Bumper
There you go. Then you can get A synthetic rope instead of the cable.

Or go find one at a dealership at night on the street line. Lol

F56B1DCA-D2D5-4A1A-BF5F-D7B1FA106BC4.jpeg

CFB65439-9ED4-4671-8CC6-2A159BBA936F.jpeg

If you want to go OEM, this is almost the same one I have. https://www.warn.com/zeon-12s-winch-95950
But definitely get the wireless remote.

or warn make this option to mount https://www.warn.com/trans4mer-gen-iii-midframe-mounting-kit-for-ram-hd-104289

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to keep the oem bumper, definitely source a pw winch cradle, weather it be used or from mopar. But there is no way in hell I would even consider paying for an oem winch. They fawked it up with their nannies, of course, which can give you issues. Plus it will cost way more, unless you find a used one (I have seen them for a grand or less, with the mount).

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Good day I'm looking to purchase a 2016 PW (https://www.advantageautodirect.com...edium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings)

It apparently is missing the Winch,I would like the Dealer to replace it or rebate me the cost and I will install -

Has anyone done the this research already? or should i just proceed perusing the mopar catalog
I know you did not ask if it is a good price but I going to tell you anyway. It is not. That 32k for a 16 PW you will find all day with the winch included. Besides the front locker and away disconnect, this truck is a regular 2500 with a crappy payload. IMO
Keep looking or buy that one when that put the missing parts back.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not up on used vehicle pricing, but will agree with trailmaker... if they are charging the same price as most comparable trucks WITH a winch, well then they are ****** you several grand. Add up the oem parts for the winch/cradle etc...

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a basically identical 2016 Power Wagon for $34k, however it only had 26k miles on the odometer and was a super clean one-owner local trade. The one listed above for $32k has 83k miles on it and is missing the winch. I'll be honest and say I would have a very hard time paying over $30k for a truck with 80k+ miles already on it, especially since somebody has "stolen" parts off it and it originated from Canada (typed in the VIN to see the window sticker). Besides for the winch, I would double-check and make sure it still had the locking front and rear axles still installed! Wouldn't take much for somebody to swap the axles out and put normal ones in.....maybe I'm being paranoid but I have seen stuff like that happen before. Somebody with the right tools and some experience could do this in an hour to two.

OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ya I ran the numbers and passing on it Looking @ a 2015 in Portland for 5k less , complete and they just put a leather interior in it (Why? i gots know idea)

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ya I ran the numbers and passing on it Looking @ a 2015 in Portland for 5k less , complete and they just put a leather interior in it (Why? i gots know idea)
More common than you think. The cloth interior could have been stained beyond repair, so if they accounted for that when they traded it, the can upgrade to leather to “fix” the interior and still stay market competitive. Not really hiding anything, just a good way to repair an existing problem.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes because leather is awesome. I put leather in my 16 silverado because the cloth sucked. now the power wagon cloth interior is actually pretty good. I'd swap someone my cloth for leather in a heartbeat though. I tried to find a leather one when i bought one but they are hard to find for the right price. Yeah just keep looking for the right price. The 16's and older are getting cheaper because everyone wants the newer graphics and black powder coat bumpers.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
remember the Mopar warn oem gets fed into the cradle from the top so a standard warn my not work with the stock bumper(usually from the bottom I believe). Mopar has warn make some adjustments to the winch for the power wagon

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just bought a basically identical 2016 Power Wagon for $34k, however it only had 26k miles on the odometer and was a super clean one-owner local trade. The one listed above for $32k has 83k miles on it and is missing the winch. I'll be honest and say I would have a very hard time paying over $30k for a truck with 80k+ miles already on it, especially since somebody has "stolen" parts off it and it originated from Canada (typed in the VIN to see the window sticker). Besides for the winch, I would double-check and make sure it still had the locking front and rear axles still installed! Wouldn't take much for somebody to swap the axles out and put normal ones in.....maybe I'm being paranoid but I have seen stuff like that happen before. Somebody with the right tools and some experience could do this in an hour to two.

Glad to see OP is passing on this one, but I always hesitate when I see something that's been brought over from Canada. Story time! (short one this time)

My in-laws were really looking for an H3 (they loved the looks, and rarely saw one that looked beat up, or even sitting on a used car lot), so every time they saw one they'd go look at it. They finally found one with the options they wanted and at an under-market value for the mileage listed on it, so they went through all the hoops and were about to put a deposit on it when they got the Carfax and decided to wait a few days.

The Carfax showed it came from Canada, and was shipped to a company that routinely does conversions for the US market. Nothing illegal about that, really.

It had been in for service the last time in Canada and showed something like 230,000 km. But after its conversion, it showed 80,000 miles. Somewhere this thing lost 60,000 miles! Needless to say they didn't buy it, and the thing disappeared from the dealer's website a day later.

Anyway, the point is, always do some math when buying a converted vehicle. It may not be worth buying if someone has fudged some numbers.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at an 2018 with 8k miles before Christmas that was priced below market value. Was really interested in it but when I looked up the window sticker it was in French and got me asking questions. It was originally sold in Quebec, Canada and then I found out about the factory warranty not transferring (confirmed with a call to FCA). The CarFax was also a little bit weird as it showed it as some sort of fleet vehicle in Canada, and then a fleet vehicle in Michigan, and then wound up on a dealer's lot another state away. Could have been perfectly fine but it just raised several red flags.

OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So whats a good synth rope and lengths for these? (I realize I'm opening a discussion on a well argued subject, but reading a 1000 or so posts boogles the outcome)

OP
OP
48PowerWagon

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks both of you, not only for the quick replies, but for the education as well - I just love this site