Wiring in a Relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added an aftermarket Fuse/Relay Box and I'm wiring it up. Now I am using a relay with a built in fuse. Here is my setup
2/0 Wire (1ft) to 300 amp breaker then from the breaker it gets split into 12 smaller wires for the power side of the relays and fuses. Now since the relay does have a fuse do I still need to fuse the power wire to the lights?
Thanks!
Austin

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I added an aftermarket Fuse/Relay Box and I'm wiring it up. Now I am using a relay with a built in fuse. Here is my setup
2/0 Wire (1ft) to 300 amp breaker then from the breaker it gets split into 12 smaller wires for the power side of the relays and fuses. Now since the relay does have a fuse do I still need to fuse the power wire to the lights?
Thanks!
Austin

Are you actually wiring in a 300amp fuse in the main line? Im assuming that is feeding the fuses in the fuse/relay box? If there are fuses in the box feeding the individual loads you are good. If it is a relay only box with no fuses then YES you will want to fuse each light/auxiliary load individually to prevent relay zorching if the individual load has an issue

**Edit..... in rereading your post I see it is a fuse/relay box. Is the fuse in the box on input side of relay or output, it needs to be on output and that would be your protection to your load/light

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
1 300 amp breaker? That is more then my house. A 300 amp breaker wouldn't protect any wire.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
30 amp breaker wont protect smaller wires, you will need a fuse on each or something different. It wont break w/o a lot of wattage going through, I doubt those small wires would handle it, what size wire are you running to each item. Can catch your truck on fire.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
30 amp breaker wont protect smaller wires, you will need a fuse on each or something different. It wont break w/o a lot of wattage going through, I doubt those small wires would handle it, what size wire are you running to each item. Can catch your truck on fire.
The breaker is just to protect the main power wire to the fuse block. Each relay has a fuse to protect the power wire so I now wonder if I need the breaker. In using 14awg for the B+ for each relay/fuse and 14awg for the grounds which will go into another 6awg wire for both ground and power (maybe smaller have to do some math) and go to the 2nd battery. The trigger wire will be 18awg and will be tapped into a already fused wire on the truck so it won't need one. The power wire for the device will depend on what it gets hooked to (I'll leave them blank until I get something to hook up to it.). So let's say the whole fuse/relay box will be powering 100 amps (for everything) so let's add about 30% so 130amps total. That is what the breaker will be plus each fuse built into the relay. Now if I use a nonfused trigger wire it will get a fuse. Does that sound about right? Maybe I don't need the breaker but what will protect the 6 gauge wire.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
will that fit in the breaker lugs, 6 guage with a 30amp breaker? Not a problem to have an over sized wire if you can hook it up

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
will that fit in the breaker lugs, 6 guage with a 30amp breaker? Not a problem to have an over sized wire if you can hook it up
What I'm going to do is crimp the 14awg wires to a 6awg wire. I'm still trying to figure out the breaker so they number was kind of just thrown in there

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Take a picture or find one online of what you have going on. I have done something similar with an added fuse box controlled by a 100amp relay. But the fuse box has individual fuses for each power wire going out.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a picture or find one online of what you have going on. I have done something similar with an added fuse box controlled by a 100amp relay. But the fuse box has individual fuses for each power wire going out.
My main concern is taking 6 14awg wires and crimping them to one 6awg wire. I don't know if thats safe. According to a calculator 6 14awg wires equal on 6awg wire

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I wouldn’t do it. I would try and grab a distribution block online or something. There’s a lot of different ones on amazon that’ll help you out. Fuse each 14g and be done.

Here is what I did, might give you an idea. Not saying this is perfect by any means, but might spark an idea for you.
D04825A2-B8B7-40A9-B637-8AE9BA5C2DDA.jpeg
His is before I switched the relay to a 100amp. But a simple main wire in and you have outputs to pop and fuse in and roll. The left is directly from the battery, the right is triggered off ACC, but still pulling from the battery.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Now since the relay does have a fuse do I still need to fuse the power wire to the lights?
Thanks!

Yes yes yes yes
Always fuse small load/light wires

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t do it. I would try and grab a distribution block online or something. There’s a lot of different ones on amazon that’ll help you out. Fuse each 14g and be done.

Here is what I did, might give you an idea. Not saying this is perfect by any means, but might spark an idea for you.
View attachment 155666
His is before I switched the relay to a 100amp. But a simple main wire in and you have outputs to pop and fuse in and roll. The left is directly from the battery, the right is triggered off ACC, but still pulling from the battery.

Now since the relay does have a fuse do I still need to fuse the power wire to the lights?
Thanks!

Yes yes yes yes
Always fuse small load/light wires
I did correct myself in a later post. Thanks for all the comments. Here is where I bought. It didn't have a stud to connect the main battery cable to so I would have to do run all 6 14AWG wires to the battery (to messy imo), use a bus block (to meet imo), or crimp them to a 6AWG which in going to look into it. Here is the one of the boxes I bought (have a total of 4 I'm installing)

Screenshot_20190216-001109.png

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 155666
How did you get it to trigger of the ACC if you don't mind me asking

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
How did you get it to trigger of the ACC if you don't mind me asking
I tapped into the center console (non jump seat) outlet in the little cubby by the cup holders. With the center console cover off and radio bezel off, it was right there and very convenient. And with it being a trigger wire, it’s pulling very little power so no worries with it overloading the outlet. The only issue that I can see is it is not activated with the remote start feature. It only gets power once you get in and hit the start button. Not a big deal for me though.

And I see what your saying now about getting your big wire to 6 smaller ones. I would def go distribution block just for the neatness or I have, in the past, put eye rings on a set of wires, bolted them together with a small bolt and nut to abound having to trust a crimp on them all. Obviously wrapped them in a **** ton of electrical tape, but it did to the job and was very secure.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tapped into the center console (non jump seat) outlet in the little cubby by the cup holders. With the center console cover off and radio bezel off, it was right there and very convenient. And with it being a trigger wire, it’s pulling very little power so no worries with it overloading the outlet. The only issue that I can see is it is not activated with the remote start feature. It only gets power once you get in and hit the start button. Not a big deal for me though.

And I see what your saying now about getting your big wire to 6 smaller ones. I would def go distribution block just for the neatness or I have, in the past, put eye rings on a set of wires, bolted them together with a small bolt and nut to abound having to trust a crimp on them all. Obviously wrapped them in a **** ton of electrical tape, but it did to the job and was very secure.
My current setup issuing a busbar like you mentioned and to me it looks messy. I have major OCD when it comes to my truck lol but I finally figured out how I'm going to set it up.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What I'm going to do is crimp the 14awg wires to a 6awg wire. I'm still trying to figure out the breaker so they number was kind of just thrown in there
#6 wire should terminate into your fuse block. That powers the buss. Your 14 ga wires all come off the buss. Do NOT crimp 14 ga wire to 6 ga wire. Mattrr of fact, even if you use crimp connectors at the buss, they should all be soldered too.

OP
OP
M

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
#6 wire should terminate into your fuse block. That powers the buss. Your 14 ga wires all come off the buss. Do NOT crimp 14 ga wire to 6 ga wire. Mattrr of fact, even if you use crimp connectors at the buss, they should all be soldered too.
Oh believe me I am doing my research in not going to rig this. I'm using a small fuse box and I'll see if I can fit the bussbar in the bottom cover. To me that looks messy. In so **** I use all different color wire for stuff then create a diagram in Smartdraw and create a book title "Accessory FSM" so if I ever sell the truck or take it to a shop (rarely) they have diagrams to follow. The diagrams will show all the splice location etc. I watched that video lol I understand the basics and use calculators for my sizes then go one size up