Working on the 5.9 any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
So I ordered the Hughs Plenum Repair Kit - mines eating oil pretty good. I went ahead and got new valve cover gaskets - mine are shot. Plugs, Wires, going to purchase a cap rotor and coil yet. Picked up an air hat for a Dakota at a junkyard so going to sewer pipe the intake as well - Planning on cutting out the ports in the intake to free up the airflow as well as boring out the TB to 50mm. Is there anything else that would be wise to hit while I'm in there - im open to any suggestions just want to hear everything I can so I can hit it all at once.
thanks - FINCH

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you've got a pretty complete list. Make sure you get a good brass cap and rotor (I use Napa Echlin parts) You make also 'port match' the intake to possibly help with flow.

My other piece of advice, if you ever plan on running an E-fan, there is a 2nd sensor boss on the intake, drill and tap that bad boy while it's out. It SUCKS trying do that while on the truck.

I also cleaned off the casting marks on the intake, and smoothed the rest, and painted it. I really should have taken pictures of that... But that truck is LONG since gone.

OP
OP
jf5.9

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
thanks for the bit on the sensor boss - I have a water pump that has a slight leak so that was actually on the to do list after this round of work - or during depending on how much time I have to do it all - mine just has a bad gasket but if its coming off its getting replaced and I want to switch to electric and free up some strain on the engine while I can.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yea! Make sure you get a new bypass hose, it's like 3" long 3/4" in diameter and a PAIN IN THE ASS. Ugh, F U Dodge for that one!

OP
OP
jf5.9

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Ive seen that in every DIY on the water pump or plenum repair thread - ill make sure ill have one to swap out. - its always nice to learn by everyone elses headaches
:headbang:

OP
OP
jf5.9

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I was looking over things on my receipt and the Hughs Plenum Kit now comes with the bypass hose - So it will be definitely hard to forget to take care of that one. now I just need the weekend to hurry up and get here