Would like a higher PSI for my engine oil, options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Drive faster? Don't sit and idle.
BTW , I have never had a problem in the ones I have had .

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
I'm hoping to see if there are a few options or course of action I can take. I've heard many stories about what PSI my engine oil should be (average) and I've been told that anywhere between 25psi - 55psi is normal, however my issue is that these 5.7 Hemi engines have a design flaw and and years of researching and talking with mechanics, these engines just aren't getting the proper amount of oil to the top end (rockers arms/pushrods).

IS there a method to getting higher oil pressure for these engines, say in the range of 45-75psi?
If so, what would be the best method at achieving that? A higher pressure oil pump? or something else I'm not aware of?

Thanks.
Leave it alone. Much smarter people than those you have "heard" put a lot of time and research into developing the HEMI. I have had a few. The last one i traded in, a 2011, had 170k miles on it and the only engine work i ever did to it was replace the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. When i traded it in, it was not blowing any oil smoke, ran fine and still had plenty of power, i have a 2017 and a 6.2 also (Demon). Never a problem...............beware of "stories" you hear or read from peeple who think they know better. No one does a better job on engines than Mopar. No one. And if there was a problem, it would have been engineered out quickly............But..........if you just have to mess with it because it is what you do.........you are going to need an aftermarket oil pump, made by some company in China, maybe even tested, that puts out more pressure than the gaskets and seals were designed to handle. Or convert it to a dry sump system with a new oil pan and associated hardware, probably costing as much as a rebuilt long block..........or you can just drive it till it quits. Betting you sell it long before it dies if you leave it alone.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Leave it alone. Much smarter people than those you have "heard" put a lot of time and research into developing the HEMI. I have had a few. The last one i traded in, a 2011, had 170k miles on it and the only engine work i ever did to it was replace the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. When i traded it in, it was not blowing any oil smoke, ran fine and still had plenty of power, i have a 2017 and a 6.2 also (Demon). Never a problem...............beware of "stories" you hear or read from peeple who think they know better. No one does a better job on engines than Mopar. No one. And if there was a problem, it would have been engineered out quickly............But..........if you just have to mess with it because it is what you do.........you are going to need an aftermarket oil pump, made by some company in China, maybe even tested, that puts out more pressure than the gaskets and seals were designed to handle. Or convert it to a dry sump system with a new oil pan and associated hardware, probably costing as much as a rebuilt long block..........or you can just drive it till it quits. Betting you sell it long before it dies if you leave it alone.
Well.... I'll be one of the first to chime in to this one.... ;)

With all due respect... you being a member here since 2016 and only having 56 posts tells me you haven't been keeping yourself apprised of the nuances of the 5.7 HEMI engine. If you were, you wouldn't have written this diatribe for us all to read and choke on with laughter and distain for inaccurate information with zero basis on real world data that this collective has worked extremely hard on to accumulate over many years of trial and error! ;)

I recommend that you thoroughly read, absorb and then fully digest all the "actual and learned" information from the Brain-Trust herein and consider editing your response to one that is based on real world data before you spew out the verbal diarrhea you just did ;)

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not the top end that lacks oil,it's the cam lobes and lifter wheels that don't get enough oil. As BigSky and Burla stated your best option is a tuner and then up the idle rpm to roughly 750 rpm,and don't be scared to drive it a bit aggressively at times.
There's no pressurized oil fed to the cam lobes and lifter wheel,so pumping more oil through the system,isn't really the cure all.The cam lobes are still lubricated by the oil flung off the crank,so a higher idle rpm throws more oil onto the lobes when the engine is idling,and slightly aggressive driving that keeps the rpms up above 2500 rpm also throws more oil onto the lobes.
With the idle rpm set to 750,you'll have just as much oil pressure as the hellcat pump creates at 560/600 rpm,with the benefit of more oil coming off the crank to lube the cam.If you're hung up on the Hellcat pump,install your original bypass spring from your stock pump,and if you decide to go with the Melling HV pump,use the low pressure bypass spring,but you'll still want to up your idle rpm to 750
At any engine speed, how does oil flung off the crankshaft get passed the windage tray to reach the camshaft?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 109262 miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
At any engine speed, how does oil flung off the crankshaft get passed the windage tray to reach the camshaft?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 109262 miles.
The windage tray is under the crank,be mighty tough to have it above the crank,the rods are gonna get in the way,lol

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The windage tray is under the crank,be mighty tough to have it above the crank,the rods are gonna get in the way,lol
Yes, poorly worded thought. My apologies.

What I was trying to impart was oil is prevented from getting to the crankshaft from the sump. The only oil that could reach the crankshaft counterweights is from what little oil is passed by the main and rod bearing ends, and this would be even more acute with a new engine and tight fitting bearings.

Are you sure there is no other oiling method for the lifter rollers and cam lobes?

Regards,
Dusty

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, poorly worded thought. My apologies.

What I was trying to impart was oil is prevented from getting to the crankshaft from the sump. The only oil that could reach the crankshaft counterweights is from what little oil is passed by the main and rod bearing ends, and this would be even more acute with a new engine and tight fitting bearings.

Are you sure there is no other oiling method for the lifter rollers and cam lobes?

Regards,
Dusty
You'd be surprised at the amount oil that migates from the rods and mains side clearances,throw in the fact the windage tray isn't a crank scraper,as much as it just captures the oil flung off the crank when it's rotating towards the bottom of the pan,which is maybe at most about 120 degrees of rotation,the other 240 degrees of rotation,it's flinging oil everywhere inside the crank case.
I think you're more thinking the windage tray is acting like an old school crank scraper,when all the tray is doing is reducing oil frothing in the pan,it's not actually scraping any oil off the crank counter weights like a scraper does.
Some oil does pass by the lifter body,but the angle of the lifter bores in relation to the cam lobes isn't really optimal,so the majority of oil dripping off the lifter bore,doesn't really hit the cam lobes.

Tony's video shows the lifter angle better then i can explain it on paper.

Last edited:

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You want more oil pressure to prevent cam lobe damage? Through all your studies, is it possible that the Mopar cam material fails and causes the lifter follower and cam surface damage? You stated that you have been told or "researched" and normal oil pressure is between 25 and 55? At idle and hot or 5000 rpm and cold? Makes a big difference. Will you be doing all the work or paying someone? You can increase oil pressure and cause the volume of oil to decrease tremendously by doing the wrong things inside the motor. Too much oil pressure or flow just creates more heat in the oil. That would be detrimental to the life of a motor. To try and offer a reasonable response to your question, I offer some info on my current 5.7 that I replaced the cam, installed Melling HV pump with standard pressure spring and numerous other parts 4 years ago. The oil pressure is 40 psi, hot, at normal idle speed using 5W-30 PUP. At 1800 rpm, highway speed, the pressure is 68 psi at about 205 degrees. That is good oil pressure but no guarantee that the cam or lifters will not fail again one day. One more question for you to think about- Have you ever disassembled a 250 hp 2 stroke motor and seen all the needle bearings inside that motor? It gets all it lubrication from the little bit of oil in the fuel system with no oil pan or pressure lube system. It doesn't take much oil to cool and lube an IC engine.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^
"Have you ever disassembled a 250 hp 2 stroke motor and seen all the needle bearings inside that motor?"
I have I have,omc,yamahas,mercury....1000s of them....lol
You are correct in your statement.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well for starters, I'm one of those stories, so yeah my story is pretty reliable.....
A new crate engine was installed in my truck a little over 6 months ago and the Cam lobe failed on it because of insufficient oil reaching that part of the engine (only had 150k on it) I really don't feel like having another motor installed EVER again, with that being said, this is my 3rd Ram in 15 years so I'm no stranger to the pros/cons and failure rates of these engines, so a means of better educating myself and others is what this post is all about.

Thanks for chiming in..
s-l400.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The only 5.7 i own with a stock oil system is my 300. Had it out today,and really paid close attention to it. Car has roughly 70,000 miles on it.Right now it has 5 quarts of 5W-30 Redline and 2 quarts of 5W-20 PUP in the crankcase,and i run a Royal Purple 20-820 filter on it. Hot /in gear it idles at 760/780 rpm,with the oil temp about 203 ,the oil pressure is pretty consistent between 48 and 50 psi,cruising down the highway at 75+ mph/roughly 1900/2000 rpm,it runs right at 58 psi, and wide open it hits 70 psi about 5000 rpm and at its 5600 rpm shift point it's reading 72 psi.
The only things done to the car are 6.4 exhaust manifolds and midpipes,and the idle rpm has been upped to 760/780

Last edited:
OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Drive faster? Don't sit and idle.
BTW , I have never had a problem in the ones I have had .
Well if it's any constellation, I do drive a lot.. Typically pulling in on average of 38-45k a year. So having this replacement engine with a 4 years of unlimited mileage is what I like. Do I sit in idle? I truly try not to do that unless I get caught in traffic somewhere in town, Drive faster isn't an option simply because tickets in California are stupid expensive and I'm not going to put myself or anyone else at risk in a major accident, that's just f*ckin dumb...

This being my 3rd Ram over the course of 13+ years it's the only one that had a cam/lobe issue and all of them have had well over 200K miles on them. I'm just trying to educate myself on possible options out there can could lead to better lubrication of those weak links with these engines.
Thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well if it's any constellation, I do drive a lot.. Typically pulling in on average of 38-45k a year. So having this replacement engine with a 4 years of unlimited mileage is what I like. Do I sit in idle? I truly try not to do that unless I get caught in traffic somewhere in town, Drive faster isn't an option simply because tickets in California are stupid expensive and I'm not going to put myself or anyone else at risk in a major accident, that's just f*ckin dumb...

This being my 3rd Ram over the course of 13+ years it's the only one that had a cam/lobe issue and all of them have had well over 200K miles on them. I'm just trying to educate myself on possible options out there can could lead to better lubrication of those weak links with these engines.
Thanks.
You haven't said what oil filter or oil viscosity you're currently using,i know you said you're thinking of switching to amsoil 5W-30 on your next change,but what are you currently running? If the truck in your avatar is right,you have a 14,it's easy to up the idle rpm on it using any tuner. Don't know if you caught my post about my 300,but i gave you the details of it's oil pressure at hot idle in gear / running down the highway at 1900 rpm,and it's wide open oil pressure,and that's a 5.7 with 70,000 miles on it. I don't know if i'd say the Hellcat or Melling pumps are the cure all,as alot of guys are claiming after seeing Reignited's video,as the higher volumn pumps still don't address the issue of getting more oil onto the cam lobes

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
You haven't said what oil filter or oil viscosity you're currently using,i know you said you're thinking of switching to amsoil 5W-30 on your next change,but what are you currently running? If the truck in your avatar is right,you have a 14,it's easy to up the idle rpm on it using any tuner. Don't know if you caught my post about my 300,but i gave you the details of it's oil pressure at hot idle in gear / running down the highway at 1900 rpm,and it's wide open oil pressure,and that's a 5.7 with 70,000 miles on it. I don't know if i'd say the Hellcat or Melling pumps are the cure all,as alot of guys are claiming after seeing Reignited's video,as the higher volumn pumps still don't address the issue of getting more oil onto the cam lobes
Hey there,
Sorry I chime in every once in a while, but yes I did see your reply post, thank you..
I'm currently running 5w30 AMSOIL with a WIX XP filter. Just performed the oil change Monday evening.
My replacement engine has close to 35K miles on it. (Truck has 198K)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey there,
Sorry I chime in every once in a while, but yes I did see your reply post, thank you..
I'm currently running 5w30 AMSOIL with a WIX XP filter. Just performed the oil change Monday evening.
My replacement engine has close to 35K miles on it. (Truck has 198K)
What kind of pressures are you seeing at idle and running down the highway ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Getting oil up to the top of the engine??
Why do i picture a Ford V-8 with over head Oilers

OP
OP
FullForceRam

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
What kind of pressures are you seeing at idle and running down the highway ?
At idle I'm currently averaging 35psi with the engine averaging at 203 degrees.
On the highway around I'm averaging 48psi with the RPM's around 1700

That's with 5w30 AMSOIL with a WIX XP filter.