Yeah, I Went Too Much....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I
Superdroid why do you want to bookmark the discussion? I like to hear what ramffml has to say.
I liked what he had to say as well. Learned something new today, but it doesn't change my OPINION of the 5.7l driven 1500 series truck. The engine may be everything you want, but the vehicle it's in dosen't get it done. When the Hurricane goes into the 1500 it won't make it a better truck, it will just have a better engine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not playing that game with you dude, your comment was "5.7 crying like a girl" which I proved by to you by showing you the power outputs, is incorrect.

A 5.7 will give only slightly worse results to a 6.4, all else in the truck being the same.
Isn’t the engine tuning different for the 6.4 different ? Power delivered at lower RPMs ? Hp isn’t the complete story.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Isn’t the engine tuning different for the 6.4 different ? Power delivered at lower RPMs ? Hp isn’t the complete story.
Somebody needs to dig up the rpm the 6.4 and 5.7 make peak torque at and their torque curves,as i thought the 6.4 made a fair bit more torque off idle then the 5.7 does. I don't have the time to dig for the specs today,but hopefully somebody will have the time to dig up both torque curves

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Somebody needs to dig up the rpm the 6.4 and 5.7 make peak torque at and their torque curves,as i thought the 6.4 made a fair bit more torque off idle then the 5.7 does. I don't have the time to dig for the specs today,but hopefully somebody will have the time to dig up both torque curves

I have yet to find some that were done on the same dyno. Hopefully someone posts them sometime as I would love to see them!

I fully expect a tiny increase in low end torque curve, but the 6.4 BGE is primarily tuned for durability. It still has low compression, tuned on 87 octane etc. The 6.4 SRT is where they show the big gains.

I remember discussing this with someone else and IIRC, the 5.7 in a 2500 actually had a higher tow rating with a higher rear axle, than the 6.4 with a lower one. I will try and find it back. Not that I put any importance on tow ratings based off of rear axles, but in 0 to 30 acceleration at least the tow ratings show the 5.7 holding its own pretty good.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Shame on you, ******. There's nothing wrong with a 1500-sized truck. I had one for many years and it was very good to me.

Edit: Apparntly, you can't use the word s-n-i-p-e-r or it does the **** thing. Someone needs to fix this idiocy.

Unintentional censorship made that reply look way more aggressive than it actually was. :D

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
, but it doesn't change my OPINION of the 5.7l driven 1500 series truck. The engine may be everything you want, but the vehicle it's in dosen't get it done.

I think this is where we are crossing rails, you said "5.7" and if you meant "5.7 in 1500" then I would agree with your opinion. However when I saw your first post I was assuming you meant "5.7 in 3500". OP does have a 3500, and you only mentioned "5.7" not "1500".

There is no doubt that a 3500 dually, with either engine, will be a much superior tow experience than the 1500. I've long held the opinion that a 1500 shouldn't be towing more than 28 feet and 8000 pounds regardless of engine or rear axle ratio.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7 would have been crying like a little girl.

1/2 ton V 3/4 ton you got your eye on the wrong target!!!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not true at all. The 6.4 is only slightly more powerful than the 5.7 as tuned stock. Whatever the 6.4 can tow, the 5.7 is just a tiny bit behind when it comes to power output and getting loads moving.

Long term reliability when towing heavy loads with either engine, that's a completely different story. Obviously the 6.4 will handle a far bigger beating. But he only towed a couple miles, the 5.7 wouldn't complain anymore than the 6.4.

(Yeah I'm Just being particularly pedantic today.)
Iv done a bit over 15,000 with my 6.4 3500. 4.88 diff gears and 35’s

Cant Imagine 19,000 tho.

No thanks

Id be more worried about the 66RFE than the 6.4.

With the right gears the 6.4 or 5.7 will do it. The trans taking most of the stress.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Iv done a bit over 15,000 with my 6.4 3500. 4.88 diff gears and 35’s

Cant Imagine 19,000 tho.

No thanks

Id be more worried about the 66RFE than the 6.4.

With the right gears the 6.4 or 5.7 will do it. The trans taking most of the stress.
Can you get a 6.4 with the 8 speed in a 3500,i know you can in the 2500's,but i've never heard if they're putting the 8 speed in the heavier 3500's yet.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Didn't read all 4 pages but...how flat are the 2 HP and torque curves between the two? I don't know so I'm asking. If the 6.4 has a flatter curve then it would have more torque down low. That could make a big difference.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ram Canada's build and price page shows a 3500 with 8 speed.
I'm guessing it doesn't say which 8 speed though.It'd be wicked if they stuck the 8Hp95 into the 3500's,the same transmission they use in the TrackHawks and TRX's,as it's rated for 700 lb-ft,while the HP75 is only rated to 563 lb-ft of torque. The HP90 and HP 95 also have a way better rep of shifting under power and also down shifting while on coast mode, then the HP70 and HP75 have

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm guessing it doesn't say which 8 speed though.It'd be wicked if they stuck the 8Hp95 into the 3500's,the same transmission they use in the TrackHawks and TRX's,as it's rated for 700 lb-ft,while the HP75 is only rated to 563 lb-ft of torque. The HP90 and HP 95 also have a way better rep of shifting under power and also down shifting while on coast mode, then the HP70 and HP75 have

Found a random 2020 on autotrader, plugged the vin into the dodge site and it's saying 8hp75 LCV

First time I've heard of the LCV, on another forum a member wrote this:

The robust and advanced-design ZF 8HP75-LCV 8-speed automatic is paired with the 6.4L HEMI V8.

To handle the increased towing and payload capacities, upgrades include:

• Additional torque-converter brazing
  • Two gear sets with additional pinion gears
  • Heavy-duty PARK system

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Yeah, that's why you can't et a 5.7 in a real truck.

A "REAL" Truck?

You meant to type, 'Pickup', right
because as everyone knows, Trucks are just a little bit, bigger, than Pickups.

Of Course, REAL Men work with, on or around Locomotives.
Leaving the little stuff, for Women, Children, lesser Men, until they get Off Duty, then they may drive a Pickup, Home.
Only because RR Tracks don't go directly to their Homes.

I DO so love these REAL discussions.
Like when Everyone was deciding which Pierced Ear was "For REAL Men' and which was for Limp Wristers.

HINT: Real Men don't have piercings.
Only Thing 'hanging' is what God himself intended.

Now that this Pot is well and truly stirred, I will grab my popcorn and watch......

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, my stupidity went a bit overboard when getting a load of stone today. Borrowed my brother's 14ft high side dump trailer.

3920lbs trailer 6 yards of pea gravel WAY TOO MUCH......

I went a short distance less than 6 miles. Still way too much. I looked up what a yard of pea gravel weighs on average (2600lbs.) Of course it starts raining....

Lol everyone is looking at the weight for towing with the truck..... your 14k trailer was what I was concerned with lol.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I

I liked what he had to say as well. Learned something new today, but it doesn't change my OPINION of the 5.7l driven 1500 series truck. The engine may be everything you want, but the vehicle it's in dosen't get it done. When the Hurricane goes into the 1500 it won't make it a better truck, it will just have a better engine.

I would have to say that about a 2500.... 1500 truck makes more sense to me as a entry level average person truck. 3500 makes more sense for towing and payload with motor options. 2500 is kinda the red headed step child I think. 2500 can't make up its mind good towing but crap payload. the 1500 already knows its limits.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
.....the 1500 already knows its limits.

Ah, 3/4 ton Pickups know their limits too.
It's the 3/4 Owners, who need Schooling and tend to think far more of themselves, than justified.
Sorta like Pruis and Tesla Owners, come to think of it.
I claim the reason I finally went with a 1/2 ton, back in 2014, after 30 years driving 3/4 tons was due to getting Old and not really doing much, anymore.
Honestly though, it was the Company I kept finding myself in.
Really could not justify moving up to a one ton, where far more of Owners have actual Sense.

Ya gots Ford, Chevy, Ram, even Toyota Pickup owners and we tend to torment each other over Brands, when they true Grouping should be 3/4 ton Owners vs everyone else. Kind of like how eeryone fixates on being a Donkey or an Elephant, when the true Enemy of Society are the Idiots.
Most of whom drive 3/4 tons, Pruis' or Tesla's, and think far too highly of themselves

Sorry, I know, said I was gonna grab popcorn but figured it needed stirring, just a little bit more.
I'm going to get banned for this dog do of Honesty and common Sense, I just know it.

MODS:

It was meant as good natured, Clean, no Cussing Humor.
You know, Humor,? that thign you lost when you got your MOD badges.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah, 3/4 ton Pickups know their limits too.
It's the 3/4 Owners, who need Schooling and tend to think far more of themselves, than justified.
Sorta like Pruis and Tesla Owners, come to think of it.
I claim the reason I finally went with a 1/2 ton, back in 2014, after 30 years driving 3/4 tons was due to getting Old and not really doing much, anymore.
Honestly though, it was the Company I kept finding myself in.
Really could not justify moving up to a one ton, where far more of Owners have actual Sense.

Ya gots Ford, Chevy, Ram, even Toyota Pickup owners and we tend to torment each other over Brands, when they true Grouping should be 3/4 ton Owners vs everyone else. Kind of like how eeryone fixates on being a Donkey or an Elephant, when the true Enemy of Society are the Idiots.
Most of whom drive 3/4 tons, Pruis' or Tesla's, and think far too highly of themselves

Sorry, I know, said I was gonna grab popcorn but figured it needed stirring, just a little bit more.
I'm going to get banned for this dog do of Honesty and common Sense, I just know it.

MODS:

It was meant as good natured, Clean, no Cussing Humor.
You know, Humor,? that thign you lost when you got your MOD badges.

Nicely put I think... I agree I see more people in 2500s over their limits due to the diesel motor lol. No shame in going to a 1500 if it does everything you need it to do. I went from a 1500 to a 3500, the 2500 just didn't have enough payload and the price to a 3500 wasn't noticeable.