Yellow Towing Sticker Ontario Canada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm new to Ontario Canada and I have some questions about the yellow sticker I see in the bottom drivers side of the windshield on SOME trucks.
I have been told I need it by some and told I don't as long as its for personal use not a business by others. I do know if you get one you now need annual safeties and emission checks, which on a 3500 CTD is rather expensive. So my question is as follows for the guys here in Ontario Canada who own trucks and tow with them, what is the rule on these stickers? Do I need one or not? I think is has something to do with the GVWR numbers but not sure. Do I only need it if I tow or do I need all the time cause its a truck? Is there a fine for not having it? If so how much is the fine? I see alot of truck running around towing things, about half have the sticker half don't not sure where I am on this and need help. Please clarify this for me!!!

Thanks alot.

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its all about the weight.
I had to sticker my truck and trailer this past winter. Id gotten away with not stickering it for about 5 years.

I got pulled over and got a ticket for failure to display device (No sticker).
He could have given me 2 separate tickets. one for the truck and one for the trailer.

If the trailer weights more than 2800KG's it needs to be stickered.
Typically any trailer with tandem 3500# axels or larger needs to be stickered.
RV's are completely excempt from this however.

From the MTO website:

If the trailer weighs more than 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.):
•register the truck for at least the combined weight of the truck and trailer, weights A and B

If the trailer weighs 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.) or less:
•register the truck for at least the weight of the truck (weight A), which includes trailer tongue weight
•weight transmitted directly to the ground by the trailer is not included in the RGW

LINK:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/commercial-vehicle-faq.shtml#a15

NOW....
Take your truck GVRW
mine is 3040 kgs

and your trailer GWR
Mine is 3175 KG's

Add them together.

3040 + 3175=6215

In my situation I needed to be yellow stickered but did not need to raise the weight class of my truck (3000 KG's) as it is under 6300 KG's.

Atleast this is the way I understand everything.

Last edited:

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
This is a very vague topic and one MTO guy will tell you one thing and the next guy will tell you another, usually no arguing with them, just have to go to court to fight what you believe to be incorrect.

Seeing as your truck is a 1 ton, your truck all by itself needs the Yellow sticker seeing as I believe the manufacture gross weight exceeds 6000 kg....

Personal or commercial use has no bearing on the sticker, but if commercial, other rules come into play.

As mentioned, if you have an RV and you're towing a trailer (any size), you do not need anything, or a truck towing a camper, nothing required, unless your trucks exceeds that manufacture weight.

The police/MTO have really cracked down on this the last little while, easy money grab, so make sure you get what is required......which if you keep your stuff in good working order, not a big deal, just another cost that you need to take into account each year.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
everyone will give a different answer. after a friend of mine got ticketed i started asking around and after talking to 2 cops and going to 4 MTO offices i never once got the same answer twice. the only thing that was consistent is that they all said the 1 ton trucks all require the sticker

commercial use adds another level of confusing which i believe also requires daily logs. all trucks are plated as commercial but the commercial rules only seem to apply if you're running a business like delivery or landscaping. farm plates also fall under commercial but farm trucks also have special exemptions for many things under a different set of laws and the 2 laws seem to clash in a lot of areas causing even more confusion. farm plates are also supposed to be exempt from emissions

honestly i decided not to worry about it and if i ever get a ticket i'll be going to court and arguing about how vague the law is and that no one i asked could give me a straight and easy to understand explanation of the rules

The police/MTO have really cracked down on this the last little while, easy money grab, so make sure you get what is required......which if you keep your stuff in good working order, not a big deal, just another cost that you need to take into account each year.

i was told that the weight limits recently changed and that's why they are cracking down. seems like it's just a big money grab to me

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yes 1 ton trucks require the yellow sticker. I have no understanding of the truck/trailer requirements for the sticker. Why can't they just make it easy to understand. That's government for you.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I got pulled over and got a ticket for failure to display device (No sticker).

How much was the ticket and good to know that RVs are exempt

everyone will give a different answer. after a friend of mine got ticketed i started asking around and after talking to 2 cops and going to 4 MTO offices i never once got the same answer twice. the only thing that was consistent is that they all said the 1 ton trucks all require the sticker
honestly i decided not to worry about it and if i ever get a ticket i'll be going to court and arguing about how vague the law is and that no one i asked could give me a straight and easy to understand explanation of the rules

this is kinda the route I was thinking of going but depends on the ticket price.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much was the ticket and good to know that RVs are exempt

my friends ticket was $350 but they also went through everything and ticketed him for every little thing they could find so his total was closer to $1000. from what i read the max fine for not having the sticker is $10k

i was also told that if you get the sticker on the truck then any trailer you pull regardless of weight must also have the sticker. the next guy i asked then told me that part was bull so again no idea what the rules actually are. this is the part my friend was actually fined on since the truck had a sticker but not the trailer. he was also pulling a race car which is supposedly exempt since it's personal and not commercial but he was told it doesn't matter if the truck has the sticker the trailer has to have it too

either way if i ever get ticketed i'll be going to court and taking with me some print outs from forums and as many written statements as i can get from cops and the MTO to clearly show the confusion around the law. i don't see how any judge could rule against me when even the people tasked with enforcing the laws don't fully understand it and can't explain it to me so that i even have a chance of following it

Last edited:

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
my friends ticket was $350 but they also went through everything and ticketed him for every little thing they could find so his total was closer to $1000. from what i read the max fine for not having the sticker is $10k

i was also told that if you get the sticker on the truck then any trailer you pull regardless of weight must also have the sticker. the next guy i asked then told me that part was bull so again no idea what the rules actually are. this is the part my friend was actually fined on since the truck had a sticker but not the trailer. he was also pulling a race car which is supposedly exempt since it's personal and not commercial but he was told it doesn't matter if the truck has the sticker the trailer has to have it too

either way if i ever get ticketed i'll be going to court and taking with me some print outs from forums and as many written statements as i can get from cops and the MTO to clearly show the confusion around the law. i don't see how any judge could rule against me when even the people tasked with enforcing the laws don't fully understand it and can't explain it to me so that i even have a chance of following it

I can tell you that pulling a race car is not exempt, unless you are pulling it with an RV, then you are......the RV world is the ONLY way around this ****, for now.....

It comes down to primarily the weight.....simple rule of thumb is if you have a dual axle trailer, get the yellow sticker for both vehicles.

Years ago i took the approach of taking my luck & pleading ignorance if I was pulled over. Before the big crack down started, I passed many road side inspections that were set up on the way to the race track, especially on the way to TMP, never pulled over and I did not have the sticker on the truck, I think the fact that I had a newer truck & trailer kept me off the radar back than. No way I would do that now, too much emphasis on this now and the fines are crazy.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you that pulling a race car is not exempt, unless you are pulling it with an RV, then you are......the RV world is the ONLY way around this ****, for now.....

It comes down to primarily the weight.....simple rule of thumb is if you have a dual axle trailer, get the yellow sticker for both vehicles.

actually the list of exemptions i read specifically mentioned race cars along with boats and a few others things.

oddly enough while a boat was exempt the trailer is not unless the boat is on it so if you put it in the water and take the trailer home if it's over the weight limit it technically needs a sticker

this is exactly what i'm talking about we're sitting here both thinking 2 different things from personal experiences or from the information we've been able to gather. the law is far too confusing to properly enforce. i understand they are cracking down on it due to the number of unsafe loads these days and the accidents they have caused but if they want to crack down on something they should make the laws very clear and easy to understand

i have a tandem trailer but it's only 2200lbs so i believe i should be under the limit but i really have no idea. either way where i am and as much as i use the trailer i shouldn't have an issue but time will tell i guess

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
actually the list of exemptions i read specifically mentioned race cars along with boats and a few others things.

oddly enough while a boat was exempt the trailer is not unless the boat is on it so if you put it in the water and take the trailer home if it's over the weight limit it technically needs a sticker

this is exactly what i'm talking about we're sitting here both thinking 2 different things from personal experiences or from the information we've been able to gather. the law is far too confusing to properly enforce. i understand they are cracking down on it due to the number of unsafe loads these days and the accidents they have caused but if they want to crack down on something they should make the laws very clear and easy to understand

i have a tandem trailer but it's only 2200lbs so i believe i should be under the limit but i really have no idea. either way where i am and as much as i use the trailer i shouldn't have an issue but time will tell i guess

Can you please link the site where you read race cars as being exempt?
Never thought about boat trailers before, but I am not sure I have ever seen a boat trailer with the Yellow sticker...

Oh, and I 100% agree about this being very much on the not so clear side.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you please link the site where you read race cars as being exempt?
Never thought about boat trailers before, but I am not sure I have ever seen a boat trailer with the Yellow sticker...

Oh, and I 100% agree about this being very much on the not so clear side.

i had it yesterday but it wouldn't load and today i can't find it at all. it was a pdf and thinking maybe it's been taken down since it was like 4th on the search results before. anyway i'll keep trying to find it

also it could be possible i'm getting things mixed up with CVOR requirements since that pds was talking about both and had them kinda mixed together

[edit] looked up the the requirements for needing a CVOR and that's exactly what i had seen before. it basically says anything personal use including race cars are exempt from a CVOR. so yeah you'd still need the yellow sticker i guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for all the replies, can't say I understand the law any more now than I did when I started this thread. You would think they would make it a little easier to understand. But I guess I'll figure it out in time right now I have no trailer at all, but not sure how long till I buy an RV.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks for all the replies, can't say I understand the law any more now than I did when I started this thread. You would think they would make it a little easier to understand. But I guess I'll figure it out in time right now I have no trailer at all, but not sure how long till I buy an RV.
Well it is safe to say you do not need one with an RV! They'd never bother you with a cargo trailer either

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep RVs are fully exempt which is really stupid considering most of the people pulling way over their limit are pulling an RV

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well it is safe to say you do not need one with an RV! They'd never bother you with a cargo trailer either

yep RVs are fully exempt which is really stupid considering most of the people pulling way over their limit are pulling an RV

The RV is exempt but even so it looks like the truck needs one even to pull just an and RV. Correct?????

I am under the impression that the RV is exempt, all other trailer(mostly) require one, but the truck requires one ALWAYS. Is this not correct? I guess i'm asking if the only thing I'm ever gonna tow is a TT or 5th wheel even tho they are exempt the truck still requires a yellow sticker.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The RV is exempt but even so it looks like the truck needs one even to pull just an and RV. Correct?????

I am under the impression that the RV is exempt, all other trailer(mostly) require one, but the truck requires one ALWAYS. Is this not correct? I guess i'm asking if the only thing I'm ever gonna tow is a TT or 5th wheel even tho they are exempt the truck still requires a yellow sticker.

No the truck doesn't need one to pull an RV of any kind

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
so as long as I only pull an RV my 3500 SRW doesn't need a sticker but if I pull anything else(almost anything) I need the sticker then. I only plan on pulling a TT or 5th so thats great news.
Oh 3500..umm I believe you need a sticker on that truck I'd you tow or not.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Seeing as your truck is a 1 ton, your truck all by itself needs the Yellow sticker seeing as I believe the manufacture gross weight exceeds 6000 kg.....

Yes 1 ton trucks require the yellow sticker. I have no understanding of the truck/trailer requirements for the sticker. Why can't they just make it easy to understand. That's government for you.

No the truck doesn't need one to pull an RV of any kind

Not trying to start an arguement but I have stoney telling me I need the sticker for my truck no matter what and xrsman saying both.

I guess this is why so many people like me don't understand this rule.:crazy: I hope xrsman is correct in the second quote. please clarify xrsman I'm confused by your statements maybe I'm misreading them but... I need to be sure. I do want to follow the law.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Oh 3500..umm I believe you need a sticker on that truck I'd you tow or not.

Not trying to start an arguement but I have stoney telling me I need the sticker for my truck no matter what and xrsman saying both.

I guess this is why so many people like me don't understand this rule.:crazy: I hope xrsman is correct in the second quote. please clarify xrsman I'm confused by your statements maybe I'm misreading them but... I need to be sure. I do want to follow the law.
In the above quote by me I state that being a 3500 I believe you need the sticker if you tow or not. For some reason before I thought we were talking about a half ton