Yet another Morimoto XB Headlight failure thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clearjab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 laramie crew cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi after years of lurking around the forum and most of all learning from the massive volume of info that most of you have compiled in this forum, it pains me that my first thread is to ask for help or opinions on what to do about my lights.
While I'm aware of the heap of troubles that morimotos had in the past I thought that their XB Gen2 ones would be trouble free by now, sadly I was mistaken, a couple of months ago I found said lights (the amber DRL ones) on amazon and decided to give it a go, I choose Amazon cause its easier to import stuff to my country with them since all major cargo carriers set a limit of 1000 bucks for parcel meaning the price of the product plus shipping anything above that and its a hassle, doable, but a hassle so I went with amazon, everything went good except one thing, the driver side headlight has completely loose projectors meaning they sag as hell downwards the vertical adjuster wont work wich leads me to believe they either somehow broke free or something I installed them and even if I turn the vertical adjuster all the way to the right and the passenger side all the way to the left they simply dont line up, also they sag so bad that the line cutout lines up perfectly with my hood wich feels like no headlight at all, now this is the main issue, amazon offers full refund provided they arrive safe and then I can order a new set from them (assuming they dont end up on backorder again) and flipping a coin to see if that second set is good or has another type of failure or, and this is a big question, I can try to open them and see if its fixable but risking loosing any chance of refund from it, I emailed Morimoto they havent replied yet, but to be fair I didnt buy them directly from them (although the shipment came directly from them not from amazon) so they can simply say "good luck with that buddy" what would any of you do? I would like to hear some third party opinions what ever that might be I would also like to ask If any of you by chance ever tried to open one of this to see how they look inside I have till May 6 to ask for a refund... Its really annoying since the headlights look beautiful and everything works perfectly except the projectors saggin Ill attach pics of the light patter so you can see how the look... on the bright side I can drive with high beams all that I want since both of them are so low that nobody notices lol
Pics are not at eye level I took it with the phone against the headliner to be able to see the pattern but in person the driver side is exactly lined with the hood at least at my height

Attachments

• 20230412_204441.jpg
    20230412_204441.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230412_204449.jpg
    20230412_204449.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230412_210107.jpg
    20230412_210107.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230412_210113.jpg
    20230412_210113.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Clearjab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 laramie crew cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Broken parts happen, exchange them and carry on.
Yeah I was thinking the same however I just checked Amazon and now they say "Ships in1 to 2 months" now isn't that a peach, if it wasn't such a hassle to go through customs under normal conditions I would just buy the from them directly... also nice set of wheels!!

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lights really are nice. But don't forget, they have something like an 8 year warranty?? So you should be good. Your in Canada??

OP
OP
C

Clearjab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 laramie crew cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The lights really are nice. But don't forget, they have something like an 8 year warranty?? So you should be good. Your in Canada??
Nope Mexico, yeah I know about that but they didn't replied to my emails and with their back order issues waiting time for a new set is like 2 months and that's assuming the second set would be ok which to be honest, I wont hold a candle to that, I still have till May 6 to make a decision but honestly I'm curious to see them on the inside lol, I might end up opening the bad light to see if its fixable just for the kicks of it, to be fair I paid like 600 less from using an amazon gift card that had all my refunds

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you double checked that the housing pins that hold the back of the housing are seated properly? Also the front mounting bolt hole is height adjustable, might be worth taking a second look at how the lights are mounted.

OP
OP
C

Clearjab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 laramie crew cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you double checked that the housing pins that hold the back of the housing are seated properly? Also the front mounting bolt hole is height adjustable, might be worth taking a second look at how the lights are mounted.
Didnt checked the housing pins, considering that the vertical adjuster has no effect on the projector I feel that either the bolt broke inside or the hole for it is stripped however it might be worth looking into, its a shame really cause everything in it works like a charm with the exception that when I unlock it the passenger side drls flashes with the turn signal while on the driver side only the turn signal flashes however it does not bother me since under normal operation with lights on the headlight works as intended, the only major problem is that if I use the fuse tap, drls dim when brake is applied and they return to normal when you hit the gas but I think thats not a light problem that could be that I need a more powerful battery or theres something on the taillights drawing too much power, a short maybe, how ever when I checked they looked fine