You've found a used '15 Laramie 1500 that you want to buy, what do you check for before buying it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So I'm in the situation from the title and I want to go into my first visit and test drive at the dealership as knowledgeable as possible as to what to look, listen and feel for. Who better to ask than y'all?

I already know to look for rust in certain key areas. I also know the basics about listening for the variations of the "hemi tick." But are there other things I should be paying attention to?

Also, in your opinion, is it worth the cost to bring the truck to a Dodge dealership in order for them to evaluate it?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
carfax is your friend, you're going to get a variety of answers here cause every little noise and tick could mean something or could mean nothing. if the exhaust has any leaks you're going to see the black soot coming from the leak.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^like they said^^^. Plus if it’s a Laramie check all of the electric button and make sure they all function. If buying from a private seller I would have a dealership or an Indy you trust look the truck over also.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
carfax is your friend, you're going to get a variety of answers here cause every little noise and tick could mean something or could mean nothing. if the exhaust has any leaks you're going to see the black soot coming from the leak.

Absolutely. Thank you. The dealership provides access to the trucks Carfax online (here it is in fact) and it looks good.

^^^like they said^^^. Plus if it’s a Laramie check all of the electric button and make sure they all function. If buying from a private seller I would have a dealership or an Indy you trust look the truck over also.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Good advice about checking all the buttons! I don't think I would have done that completely had you not mentioned it. I am buying it from a well respected dealership but they aren't official Dodge. So I'm strongly considering (before buying it) bringing it to a Dodge dealership and having them do an assessment on it for me.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see by the Carfax that it was originally a Canadian vehicle which means that it probably has no warranty on it. I would try and talk the dealer into giving you some kind of warranty as part of the deal or make you a good deal on one at the least. There have been may stories on here about Americans buying trucks that were originally sold North of the border and then finding out later on that they have no warranty.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Good point on the Canadian warranty but there's only 3 months left even if it had a warranty. Looks like a well serviced truck with no history of problems that required dealer attention.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm in the situation from the title and I want to go into my first visit and test drive at the dealership as knowledgeable as possible as to what to look, listen and feel for. Who better to ask than y'all?

I already know to look for rust in certain key areas. I also know the basics about listening for the variations of the "hemi tick." But are there other things I should be paying attention to?

Also, in your opinion, is it worth the cost to bring the truck to a Dodge dealership in order for them to evaluate it?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

When I was looking for my 16 I got the Vin number and entered it on the Mopar owners dashboard webpage. This pulls up the original window sticker and you can see every single option, even those that your dealer may have missed labeled. They told me mine had a 321 rear end but it was actually at 392, bonus!

Definitely get the Carfax!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
All above is great advice ! I will add that on the test drive leave the radio off and listen ! Also test all functions. Since it is winter and you can not test the AC, will the dealer warranty AC repair when you try it this spring ? Check the rear carpet area as the 3rd break light has been known to leak ! What warranty is the dealer giving you ?

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
not sure what particular model you are looking for but did you try looking in the Tacoma area and south, there are a lot of lower mileage 1 owner rams on the market

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that last one is very good advice, had I done that the ill-fated 2013 would have been in the driveway less than the seven days it took me to hear the random chirp, which turned out to be an internal motor noise. I was too busy checking out the stereo and blasting the AC because it was 105 that entire week and when I did hear it, I thought it was a pulley noise. It sounded like a loud chirp and was intermittent once warmed up.

The dealership offered to fix it but then reverse that decision quickly when they found out they would have to rebuild the motor to solve the problem to the tune of $8k!

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I see by the Carfax that it was originally a Canadian vehicle which means that it probably has no warranty on it. I would try and talk the dealer into giving you some kind of warranty as part of the deal or make you a good deal on one at the least. There have been may stories on here about Americans buying trucks that were originally sold North of the border and then finding out later on that they have no warranty.

Yeah, the plan currently is (assuming all goes well) to offer $1k less than asking, in part because we will be getting an extended warranty from them with Dodge. I'm definitely aware that it either has 3 months left on its warranty or no warranty at all (maybe Chrysler isn't honoring warranties once they cross from Canada to America anymore).

I would skip the dealership and have a known reputable independent mechanic check it over. You would be surprised what you can see when up on a lift.

How would I go about finding a local known reputable independent mechanic (who knows their Rams)? That's my issue. Cause I sure do like the sound of it, I'm just not sure how to go about finding that guy/gal.

When I was looking for my 16 I got the Vin number and entered it on the Mopar owners dashboard webpage. This pulls up the original window sticker and you can see every single option, even those that your dealer may have missed labeled. They told me mine had a 321 rear end but it was actually at 392, bonus!

Definitely get the Carfax!

By Mopar owners dashboard webpage do you mean this site: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing ??

All above is great advice ! I will add that on the test drive leave the radio off and listen ! Also test all functions. Since it is winter and you can not test the AC, will the dealer warranty AC repair when you try it this spring ? Check the rear carpet area as the 3rd break light has been known to leak ! What warranty is the dealer giving you ?

Thanks! All good tips. I'm not sure yet on the warranty. Have just started getting the ball rolling with the dealership in regards to my interest in the truck.

not sure what particular model you are looking for but did you try looking in the Tacoma area and south, there are a lot of lower mileage 1 owner rams on the market

Interesting. Are they listed online anywhere? As far as model, yeah I'm being a bit picky. Definitely wanting a 2015 or newer (think '14 would be fine too), 8 gear trans, 6' bed, crew cab, sunroof and bench seating (no center console).

that last one is very good advice, had I done that the ill-fated 2013 would have been in the driveway less than the seven days it took me to hear the random chirp, which turned out to be an internal motor noise. I was too busy checking out the stereo and blasting the AC because it was 105 that entire week and when I did hear it, I thought it was a pulley noise. It sounded like a loud chirp and was intermittent once warmed up.

The dealership offered to fix it but then reverse that decision quickly when they found out they would have to rebuild the motor to solve the problem to the tune of $8k!

Jeez! Isn't that in the same price range as just buying a new engine?

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure you are aware of the camshaft and lifter problem some of the 4th gen's have had. Also the manifold bolts. It might be something to remember.
Jay.

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm sure you are aware of the camshaft and lifter problem some of the 4th gen's have had. Also the manifold bolts. It might be something to remember.
Jay.

The manifold bolts yes, though I'm not 100% on some factors. Like, are the replacement bolts used by dealerships known to break in the future as well, or has Chrysler fixed the problem with the new bolts? How expensive is the bolt replacement and installation for you guys when you've had it done by your dealer? And assuming the new bolts don't fix the problem, I think I read that getting an aftermarket headers does fix the problem for good?

As for the camshaft and lifter problem(s), I'm not really aware. Anyone care to fill me in?

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi tick....failer of the needle bearings in the roller lifters. Before th camshafts eats it the lifters make a ticking noise.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Interesting. Are they listed online anywhere? As far as model, yeah I'm being a bit picky. Definitely wanting a 2015 or newer (think '14 would be fine too), 8 gear trans, 6' bed, crew cab, sunroof and bench seating (no center console).

you can look a site like cars.com or pull up some of the dealer web sites, was checking one in the Olympia area, was a nice 2018 but was a quad cab and my wife wanted the extra space of a crew cab (looking back am glad we picked the crew cab) I wound up with a 2016 big horn crew cab 6ft bed with 34k miles, although I did rush in a bit and think I paid a bit too much but really do like the truck.
as far as sun roof not sure how many are out there but for me a sun roof is a no sale option to me anyway.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
I would pass on this vehicle. Too many miles on it and you'll be looking at substantial monetary repairs/problems. Find something same age or newer with far less milage.

OP
OP
N

Nate2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I would pass on this vehicle. Too many miles on it and you'll be looking at substantial monetary repairs/problems. Find something same age or newer with far less milage.
80k miles doesn't seem that bad. 40k miles from new ('15) to '17, and 40k miles more from '17 to now. Itt was in Alberta which is huge open flat prairie land. So high mileage but flat highway miles. Also if I get it, I'll be using it sparingly when only a truck is needed. So it will go from high usage to very low usage.

Last edited: