2010 RAM 1500 Lifter Tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllThingsOffRoad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,
My boss has a 2010 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi that originally was a sales truck for Pepsi. Im currently unaware of the miles but over the past 1-2 years every single day it has had a dual axle enclosed trailer hitched up to it towing everyday. We go through at least 2 tanks of gas a day. The trailer usually ways 4,000 to 8,500 lbs. The truck has been good to us never letting us down. My boss recently told me it needs 16 new lifters. Im wondering if it is a lifter or do you think it is possible a push rod could be bent from the extensive time the motor spends accelerating with the amount of weight. (Most of the driving we do is around towns and cross country). The only time the engine is shut off is after work or at the gas station. Otherwise it runs for 12 hours pretty much every day. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
anything is possible, but i would rule out broken manifold bolts. if that is not the issue, i would try different oils. Red line oil 10/30 should quite things down. who said it needs 16 lifters?

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i was just told the same thing today, but my truck only has 50,000 miles and is a 2013. also they want to replace the camshaft saying that the lifters tore it up. not sure how though

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Known issue fellas, please do a search in lifter tick in forum, it is covered weekly. Read this on moly.
Fergeson what oil did you use?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Known issue fellas, please do a search in lifter tick in forum, it is covered weekly. Read this on moly.
Fergeson what oil did you use?

i had not heard of this taking out all 16 lifters. of course while your in there may as well upgrade and replace.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For sure hunter, but I doubt 16 lifters are bad. It is one of those if your gonna crack it open lets replace them all things.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
And ferg, I hate to say it but RP doesn't have moly and has been the oil used in other lifter cam failures. If you use RP you might want to use HPS RP.

PQIA royal purple look at the molybdenum in the oil you used -0- PPM. Cams are installed with moly grease and the forum has done great work collectively to see the benefit of continuing to use an oil with moly. So far most of all of the cam failures have been using non moly oils, 2 come to mind in the conversation Valvoline and Royal Purple.

Last edited:

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And ferg, I hate to say it but RP doesn't have moly and has been the oil used in other lifter cam failures. If you use RP you might want to use HPS RP.

PQIA royal purple look at the molybdenum in the oil you used -0- PPM. Cams are installed with moly grease and the forum has done great work collectively to see the benefit of continuing to use an oil with moly. So far most of all of the cam failures have been using non moly oils, 2 come to mind in the conversation Valvoline and Royal Purple.

Thanks Burla, would rather switch to another synthetic I can buy around here probably pennzoil platinum. I'm also considering Redline