Power steering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have an 09 Ram 1500 and my truck blew the rack at 68k miles. Ironically like 2 weeks after putting Bils at 2.1" and 1.5" body lift on. Today, I believe I blew another rack, and only 7k miles since last incident. Good news is 48 month warranty on Mopar rack but why is this happening?
The tie rods don't seem to bind at all.
Wondering if anyone else is having any similar issues?

Also, I read in another thread to use ATF4 fluid. Can anyone confirm the necessity to do this?
And, how would this fluid be better than PS fluid?

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ATF+4 is the fluid you should be using. Doubt its the cause of the issues though. No help with the cause, but I would start suspecting a possible issue with the pump.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When it blew the rack before, it spit all of the fluid out of the boots for the tie rods.
I am not 100% sure if it's the rack or the pump cause this time it didn't push the fluid out. There is still fluid in the reservoir.

OK, so hopefully the shop that replaced the rack used the ATF+4 fluid.

Here is the other thread I was referring to
http://www.ramforum.com/f53/rack_pinion_pump_pressure-48208/

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's official, it's another steering rack.

Atlas it is still under warranty

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Does this vehicle have much bigger than stock tires? Maybe you're cranking the steering wheel, when the vehicle is stationary, and it is putting too much strain on the rack and pinion. Try turning the steering wheel, while vehicle is moving, which would put less load on the rack.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never turn the wheel all the way to lock (furthest extent you can turn it in either direction). If it doesn't take out the pump, it'll take out the rack...

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The truck has 35"X11" tires, one reason I didn't go with 35"x12.5". And no, I don't ever go to full lock and I try to always keep it moving when turning the wheel.
People run 38" tall tires without an issue.
I can pretty much guarantee the problem isn't the way it's driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk