Transmission throttle and shift lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I dropped the pan to get inside and see what is making my transmission act so stupid. After dropping the pan the front band lever had a good inch of play before it even tried to put pressure on the band. The rear was much better at only 1/4 inch play. I'm amazed the little arm that pushes on the band didn't already fall down to the bottom as the lightest tap knocked it right out.

I was planning on removing the valve body anyway for cleaning, but I ran into a snag. I cannot get the throttle and shift levers off. I removed the bolt from each lever and tried moderate pressure to pry them up and off, but no luck.

I cant see up there very well as I haven't dropped the trans at all, but I think i've disconnected everything.

Is there a trick to removing the throttle and shift levers? or do I just need to brute force it off. I really dont want to damage the throttle body by prying on it with a big ass screwdriver.

I got all the connectors undone except the case connector up top without damaging anything, i'm just hung up here.

Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I managed to get it off. Whoever the the previous owner was, they welded the throttle lever to the rod coming out of the transmission housing. I was able to get a die grinder up there and remove most of the crappy weld job.

In case it helps anyone, it helped get the shift lever off by putting a flathead underneath the lever as if I was going to pry it off, but instead tap it until it broke loose.